CrowdSupport®
domwild1
Level 8: Inspector

Finding out how credit has disappeared for pre-paid WiFi dongle?

Answered

Having paid $150 in August 2019 for 30 Gigabytes of data and running out of credit on the 7th of December for just reading emails made me wonder where the credit went. So I rang Manila on 132200, the Telstra Help number.

Entering the number in question to a robot I spoke to an operator and asked him to determine why I had run out of credit. I had to give him the number again, which he initially did not manage to copy, it should have been in front of him from the answer I entered for the robot.

He demanded to know the precise day in August I prepaid $150 and called it an “essential security question”, without which it would be impossible to continue the conversation. Having just lost the Internet due to zero credit, I would not be able to log into “My Account” at Telstra anyway He did not ask me for my DOB or home address or my Telstra Account number as a security question. I demanded to speak to the supervisor, but the supervisor insisted on knowing the precise day of the recharge again, so I hung up.

Using my mobile phone (different provider) with credit I managed to log into “My Account” to get the day of recharge. Rang 132200 again, repeated the story and asked the operator to determine why I had run out, which he could not do, neither could I as “My Usage” lists daily usage in kilobytes, but no running monthly totals or grand totals in Gigabytes. One figure said 10 GB, but no indication over which period.

So I left the job to the operator to find out why I had run out; they have my email address and I warned him a complaint to the TIO will follow if no answer is received, which has not.

Am I expected to set up a spreadsheet in Excel to enter every daily usage from August to December in kiloBytes to check if I had simply run out?? A bit much to ask after spending one hour with Manila before.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Finding out how credit has disappeared for pre-paid WiFi dongle?

If Excel is not automatically opening the file. From within the File menu in Excel, go to Open->Browse then look in the Downloads folder for Usage History.csv

Note: You will still need to play around with the data as the calls, texts and Data are all mixed together in the file, plus the data usage will be in a mix of MB and GB. If you do a Find & Replace for GB and replace with 000 then Find and Replace for MB and replace with <Blank> then you will be able to add up the amount of MB that has been used. Takes me less than 30 seconds to do a month.

Current month usage however is shown on the 24x7 screen with both the daily breakdown and a total usage at the top.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 23: Superhero

I'm not the ultimate pre-paid guru, but have you considered that your plan allowance may have expired between August and December. It really depends on your actual plan. Have you also considered that Windows updates(and other program/s updates  may have consumed considerable data?

Customer service agents have to follow a strict protocol to ensure security of accounts. I'm sure that the person you spoke to did not create the procedure.

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
domwild1

Thanks ProfessorPhone. Well the protocol will just have to be changed to allow the operator to ask other personal details to achieve the required safety. I give you an example of banks not asking about transaction dates, unless a particular transaction is being queried. It is not obvious from My Account why the credit is zero and even the operator had no clue.

Answering particular questions about the account is very difficult once one has run out of credit and no Internet access.

Highlighted
domwild1

The system seems to accept ProfessorPhones answer as THE solution, which is incorrect. I gave the Prof a "Like" and from memory the system did not allow me to "untick" that reply as THE solution. Clever software!

domwild1

I have now entered an official complaint with Telstra, where the reply was to contact me within x days, which has not happened as yet. I will wait a little bit longer and then enter a complaint to the TIO and see what happens.

domwild1

Downloading the monthly usage seems to deliver a comma-separated CSV file into Excel. A little Excel icon then appears on my screen at the top LH corner, once clicked on it the Excel program appears, but with no spreadsheet. Windows 7 with Office 2000?

Even if I get a comma-separated CSV file somehow into another Windows program, like Notepad, am I supposed to add all the kilobytes up myself? This would be ridiculous!

Accepted Solution

If Excel is not automatically opening the file. From within the File menu in Excel, go to Open->Browse then look in the Downloads folder for Usage History.csv

Note: You will still need to play around with the data as the calls, texts and Data are all mixed together in the file, plus the data usage will be in a mix of MB and GB. If you do a Find & Replace for GB and replace with 000 then Find and Replace for MB and replace with <Blank> then you will be able to add up the amount of MB that has been used. Takes me less than 30 seconds to do a month.

Current month usage however is shown on the 24x7 screen with both the daily breakdown and a total usage at the top.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

domwild1

Thanks Jupiter, I do not think Manila could have given me an answer like that. Will try it on my Windows 7/Office 2000 PC and see if it works.

domwild1

Jupiter, you are a genius, fiddling with this CSV file yields correct results. Thanks.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now