CrowdSupport®
Barraboy
Level 1: Cadet

High 4G data use

A couple of years ago I had Vodafone pockets wifi. My data cost per month was about $40. I moved to Telstra 4G pocket wifi, and the data cost for the same use sky rocketed to over $200! I stopped using the Telstra very quickly. I have now moved to a remote location where cabled Internet is slow so I bought 3GB of data for the 4G pocket wifi. Now the problem had restarted. In the space of only two evenings, I have used nealy 1.6GB. I do not download/stream movies, purely web surfing and emails. Last night I tested the data use. I came home from work and voice Skyped a friend (not video). The data balance reading was 2.04GB. Skype recon 1MB for every minute of voice call. I was on for 45mins. The data use should have been 45MB. I checked the data balance reading again after the 45 min call and it was 1.5GB. That equates to over 500MB. Ten times what it should have been. No other software was running. This only happens with Telstra 4G.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: High 4G data use

Hi there, at times windows has updates that may run in the back ground that could potentially add data usage to your account without knowing, can I have you check your settings to make sure that nothing is running in the back ground.

You can also have a chat to us online @ http://tel.st/nxzt so that we can take a closer look at this for you,

Thanks.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

chutneylover14
Level 2: Rookie

Any update on this topic barraboy. 

I have same high usage being recorded when just doing simple non data hungry functions. 

My modem has gone into support to be checked out and am waiting to hear the verdict!!!

Legin008

How did you manage to get your device checked?  I have been arguing about my high usage since I found that I have four consecutive days of over 1GB usage. I have since spoken to 6 Telstra " Consultants " and keep getting fobbed off about automatic downloads being the cause !  Last week I sent in a complaint and eventually spoke to a "Case manager"  Again she wouldn't listen to what my problem was and eventually she accepted I was talking about excessive data but then took the discussion to a different level but insisiting that I had never been charged for excessive data !!  I haven't until this month and I am now on the second lot of $10 1GB which one of the consultants switched on withouit my authority !  I estimate that I am showing 7 GB over usage and as I couldn't get any Telstra staff who showed any interest I have now switched off the modem for the last week so as to avoid additional charges. I insisted that the Case Manager got a Supervisor to contact me and guess what.............again no contact.   What amazes me is that everyone one of the consultants I have spoken to all read off the same instruction manual and then send an email saying they hope they have cleared up the problem knowing full well they have left me with high blood pressure !! 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Legin008

Data usage is a frustrating issue for everyone. With regard to the issue with your Complaint, if you can let us know the Reference number for your Complaint, we can up a callback for you to ensure that the investigation is completed and a result achieved. 

With regard to your usage issues, you can also request a Usage Dispute for your account at any time, by chatting with our Mobile Assurance team (132200 or ttp://tel.st/gq6m Smiley Happy 

Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Legin008

Hi

My reference number is SR-1-583911433158

Regards

Support Team
Support Team

Hey Legin008,

Thanks for confirming that for me Smiley Happy

I have sent through this request for a contact from your case manager and included their supervisor in the request as well. With any luck this will be completed within 48 hours. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now