CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
MatthewJW
Level 2: Rookie

Inbound Calls on Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband Data Pass Offer

Answered

Hi,

After reading the Critical Information Summary for the Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband Data Pass Offer (URL: http://www.telstra.com.au/help/download/document/personal-critical-information-summary-telstra-pre-p... I understand that you cannot make calls from a service on this offer. Other than data, the offer includes only SMS/MMS.

However, is it possible to receive calls on this offer?

I have a tablet with calling functionality. Although I rarely (if ever) make calls from the device, it is sometimes convenient to receive calls if I do not have my phone nearby.

If somebody here is on this offer, can you please test inbound call functionality?

If it fails - what error is received?

Conversely, if calls do work and there is no answer, does the call "ring out", or does it get diverted to MessageBank/Message2TXT (like a regular Pre-Paid mobile service)?

Out of curiosity, I'm also interested to know what happens if you do try to call out on this offer. Does the call instantly fail, or do you get some sort of automated voice message?

I'm happy to go out and purchase & activate a SIM starter kit to test the behaviour, but I thought I might as well ask the community first, as hopefully someone else has already tested it.

Thanks for taking your time to assist me.

Cheers,

Matthew.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MatthewJW
Accepted Solution

Re: Behaviour of Data Pass Offer as tested

Hi,

I found myself at the local supermarket needing groceries tonight, so I picked up a $2 SIM starter pack whilst I was at it.

I activated the service and transferred $1 to it via CredMe2U from my existing Pre-Paid service.

Here is what I found:

• You can indeed receive callsThe number will ring for approximately 15 seconds.

• No diversion occurs if there is no answer - it does indeed "ring out" (e.g. no transfer to MessageBank or Message2TXT). My phone simply read "Call Ended" as if the recipient hung up. Futhermore, the time counter did not show at any time (the phone just read "Dialing") - so I assume one would not be charged for the call if there is no answer.

• If you try to make a call from the service - you receive a voice message as follows: "I'm sorry - your call cannot be connected, please check the number and try again - or if you haven't yet activated your Telstra Pre-Paid service, please call 125 8887." (this is with a $1 balance on the service, as verified by the #100# menu).

Of course, you can still reach the emergency services on 000 or 112 without a problem - not that a SIM card is required for that on most handsets/tablets (with 3G/4G connectivity) anyway.

I hope this information helps anyone who is interested in the Data Pass offer. It is great value, and being able to receive calls is a great bonus for niche use cases such as my own (where I wanted to receive the occasional voice call on my tablet when my phone wasn't nearby).

Cheers,

Matthew.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
MatthewJW

Re: Inbound Calls on Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband Data Pass Offer

Hi,

The link for the Critical Information Summary was shortened by the system, however it appended the bracket to the URL which results in a 404 error if you click on it.

The correct link can be accessed below:

http://www.telstra.com.au/help/download/document/personal-critical-information-summary-telstra-pre-p...

Cheers,

Matthew.

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Inbound Calls on Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband Data Pass Offer

I believe that the MBB SIMs are issued and updated as Data only, and although the TXT/MMS features may be able to be used the Phone services would be unaccessable. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

MatthewJW
Accepted Solution

Re: Behaviour of Data Pass Offer as tested

Hi,

I found myself at the local supermarket needing groceries tonight, so I picked up a $2 SIM starter pack whilst I was at it.

I activated the service and transferred $1 to it via CredMe2U from my existing Pre-Paid service.

Here is what I found:

• You can indeed receive callsThe number will ring for approximately 15 seconds.

• No diversion occurs if there is no answer - it does indeed "ring out" (e.g. no transfer to MessageBank or Message2TXT). My phone simply read "Call Ended" as if the recipient hung up. Futhermore, the time counter did not show at any time (the phone just read "Dialing") - so I assume one would not be charged for the call if there is no answer.

• If you try to make a call from the service - you receive a voice message as follows: "I'm sorry - your call cannot be connected, please check the number and try again - or if you haven't yet activated your Telstra Pre-Paid service, please call 125 8887." (this is with a $1 balance on the service, as verified by the #100# menu).

Of course, you can still reach the emergency services on 000 or 112 without a problem - not that a SIM card is required for that on most handsets/tablets (with 3G/4G connectivity) anyway.

I hope this information helps anyone who is interested in the Data Pass offer. It is great value, and being able to receive calls is a great bonus for niche use cases such as my own (where I wanted to receive the occasional voice call on my tablet when my phone wasn't nearby).

Cheers,

Matthew.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit