CrowdSupport®
Duckula
Level 1: Cadet

Is the Netgear Nighthawk M2 suitable for networking home PC's and devices?

We're currently on NBN Skymuster, which has been very unrealiable. However, the Telstra 4G reception at home is excellent so I'm thinking of moving to telstra mobile broadband. I'm pretty sure the Netgear Nighthawk M2 will suit our needs but, need to make sure before committing to a plan and contract. Can someone please advise if the Nighthawk M2 will do the same job as our wireless router in providing networking between a number of wifi and ethernet connected devices? These include a wireless printer and an ethernet connected hard-drive. Is it possible to connect a small ethernet switch to the ethernet port on the Nighthawk M2 to connect in multiple ethernet devices? Can I trial the Nighthawk M2 for a couple of days at home before committing to a contract?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Is the Netgear Nighthawk M2 suitable for networking home PC's and devices?

You can't trial the M2 you have to buy the modem outright and use month to month prepaid or to sign up for a contract.

If the modem has the latest firmware a switch can be connected to Ethernet port for connecting to wired devices.

You can connect up to 20 devices to the modem so should be able to connect all your device. The only problem you might is that the modem will not have a public IP address due to carrier grade NAT on mobile networks. This might stop devices such as security cameras and peer to peer online games from working properly..

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now