CrowdSupport®
bushward11
Level 1: Cadet

Linux support on USB mobile broadband?

Answered

Hi there,

does Telstra 3G and/or 4G mobile broadband USB devices support laptops running Linux operating system?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Linux support on USB mobile broadband?

does Telstra 3G and/or 4G mobile broadband USB devices support laptops running Linux operating system?

As far as I'm aware, Telstra does not advertise or market any of its USB modems as being compatible for use with Linux, so I think it is safe to assume Telstra will provide neither Linux drivers (or other software) nor technical support for getting the devices working with Linux.

ZTE states on its web site only that the USB modems are “suitable for MAC and PC with built in Broadband Manager” or “suitable for MAC and PC with built in Connection Manager” so, notwithstanding that it is poor use of terminology (when it should have stated “suitable for use with Apple OS X and Microsoft Windows”, all mention of Linux is notably absent.

Sierra Wireless states on its AirCard 320U product page (in the Specifications tab) that there is Operating System Support for Linux Ubuntu 9.04, but the corresponding Downloads page shows nothing for any flavour of Linux, so the question is whether Linux  supports the USB modem with pre-packaged drivers in the Ubuntu 9.04 distribution, and not whether the device supports (laptops that are running) the operating system.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

As far as I'm aware, Telstra does not advertise or market any of its USB modems as being compatible for use with Linux, so I think it is safe to assume Telstra will provide neither Linux drivers (or other software) nor technical support for getting the devices working with Linux.

ZTE states on its web site only that the USB modems are “suitable for MAC and PC with built in Broadband Manager” or “suitable for MAC and PC with built in Connection Manager” so, notwithstanding that it is poor use of terminology (when it should have stated “suitable for use with Apple OS X and Microsoft Windows”, all mention of Linux is notably absent.

Sierra Wireless states on its AirCard 320U product page (in the Specifications tab) that there is Operating System Support for Linux Ubuntu 9.04, but the corresponding Downloads page shows nothing for any flavour of Linux, so the question is whether Linux  supports the USB modem with pre-packaged drivers in the Ubuntu 9.04 distribution, and not whether the device supports (laptops that are running) the operating system.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
bushward11

Thank-you
emphron

Telstra don't offer any support, but it is relatively easy to  do. This url provides details

http://www.eigenmagic.com/2012/03/14/how-to-get-telstra-4g-mobile-broadband-working-with-linux/

I found that I didnt have to bother with the mode change operation, I have a ZTE dongle, iit was detected as product 0x0257 immediatley. Here is the outut from lsusb

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 19d2:0257 ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM

Good luck

moksha61

any 3g dongle can be set up with this script here it is quick, simple, free and well documented

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now