CrowdSupport®
_Jay_
Level 2: Rookie

Mobile Broadband Device connection speeds erratic

Answered

Hi Guys,

I have the Bigond 4G Wi-Fi Advanced Modem (AirCard 782S) and am experiencing quite broad connection fluctuations. Approx 40% of the time I have good speeds (well good enough for me) of 4Mbps Download/0.35Mbps Upload, then the remainder being 0.5Mbps/0.1Mbps. About every 5 - 10 minutes the speed will change from good to very bad, there is no gradual decrease or increase in speed, it just drops out or comes good. On the device itself the connection status flicks between H and 3G. Occasionally the connection will drop out and it will show Searching, then I have to turn the device off and on to regain a connection (otherwise it just stays on Searching)

I live in a regional area, I have been with Telstra many years and previous Telstra Mobile Devices have been ok. This device has had this issue from new.

With an external antenna connected I get full reception (5 bars), without the antenna I get 3 bars.

I have a Telstra Mobile Phone with good data coverage - no issues with reception or data flow.

When the connection drops to slow speeds, I can turn device off/on and I will get good speeds again straight away, but then starts to flipout after a few minutes.

The device manager in my browser (http://10.0.0.138), my network settings are set to Auto. If I change the settings to WCDMA All - Then no difference, same issue. If I change settings to LTE All - I get no connection at all (guessing maybe that is for 4G? or around cities?)

So, just wondering if you guys would have any ideas to try and help me out Smiley Happy

Thank you,

Jay

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Mobile Broadband Device connection speeds erratic

Hi _Jay_

As you mentioned your mobile works fine, this looks like a problem with the device itself, I would recommend trying to factory reset the device first (you can do this by going through the settings on the device screen itself) If this does not fix the issue, It would be best to take the device into a Telstra store to have the device checked and sent of for repairs if needed.

In regards to manually setting the device to 4G only if there is no 4G signal then no network will be found, Auto is the recommended option for the network selection

Could I also grab your Suburb/Post code and I can do a quick check for any issues as well as 4G service availability in the area

- Steve J

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

_Jay_
Accepted Solution

Ok I finally got to town. The device is faulty. A replacement is being sent out to me Smiley Happy

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
_Jay_

also, when the device is charging, the speeds are more frequently slower

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi _Jay_

As you mentioned your mobile works fine, this looks like a problem with the device itself, I would recommend trying to factory reset the device first (you can do this by going through the settings on the device screen itself) If this does not fix the issue, It would be best to take the device into a Telstra store to have the device checked and sent of for repairs if needed.

In regards to manually setting the device to 4G only if there is no 4G signal then no network will be found, Auto is the recommended option for the network selection

Could I also grab your Suburb/Post code and I can do a quick check for any issues as well as 4G service availability in the area

- Steve J

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

_Jay_

Hi Steve

Thank you for your response Smiley Happy

I have reset factory settings a couple times and the issue is still the same. I was in Brisbane yesterday with full reception and the device was still dropping out.

I live in Dalby Qld 4405. And yeah I have the device set to Auto, I was just playing around with the settings seeing if it would make a difference.

I can take the device into a Telstra store on Monday Smiley Happy

Thanks
Jay
Xander260
Level 1: Cadet

Have the same issue, but with two devices both of which have been replaced and yet do the same thing.

Get out of the contract and save your money, these Aircards are absolute crap.

_Jay_
Accepted Solution

Ok I finally got to town. The device is faulty. A replacement is being sent out to me Smiley Happy

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now