CrowdSupport®
Level 2: Rookie

Mobile Broadband Pricing

Your Mobile Broadband and Home Wireless Broadband pricing is extremely expensive in comparision to both NBN fixed wirelss plans and your other broadband offerings.  Considering that many people in rural areas can only get satellite, which is dismal, or 3G/4G mobile broadband offerings it should be noted that many of those people are using their 3G/4G broadband plans as a fixed service.  By this I mean as it was the only thing available (I'm excluding satellite here) people are leaving the devices in a fixed place in the house, not travelling with them.

Many rural people cannot even get NBN fixed wireless to replace their 3G/4G mobile broadband due to the ridiculously low height of the NBN fixed wireless towers and the fact that the signal apparently points more downward than upward.  I believe there may also be a distance restriction a well.  The NBN fixed wireless standard installation excludes the use of a roof mast and antenna which was a successful option for many 3G/4G mobile broadband customers.

The data rates for the mobile broadband plans are expensive and restrictive in data allowance.  With the advent of computers running Windows 10 higher data plans are needed at much more affordable rates.

Is Telstra going to do something about this due to lack of NBN fixed wireless connectivity issues?

I have been a Telstra customer for many decades and have been happy enough with the service but I (and many others) need an affordable non-satellite solution to our internet connectivity to use with the 3G/4G network.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Mobile Broadband Pricing

The reason that the Mobile Broadband services cost a lot more than the fixed line and NBN services is because the costs involved in installing and maintaining the mobile towers is much more expensive. Unfortunately Telstra is a publicly listed comany and needs to be able to recoup the costs. They are also very quickly losing the ability to cross-subisdise services as they NBN takes over the landline network. Hence the pricing model as the mobile network must cover its own costs now.

NBN services are regulated to be the same cost everywhere, so the costs are averaged out over all users.

And yes, there is a distance restriction for the transmission of the NBN Towers (about 11 or 12km from memory). Partially due to the technology limitations and also to ensure as good a quality service as possible. The NBN towers use much higher frequencies than the mobile phone networks, so can transmit much more information on a single channel, but over a much shorter distance.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Thanks for that Jupiter but I know all that.  The question still remains that rural customers in my situation are being disadvantaged by the mobile broadband 3G/4G pricing and data structure when we are actually using the connection as a fixed not mobile solution.  So the question still remains as to whether Telstra is going to do something to help us out. 

And I think I read somewhere that the NBN distance restriction is about 14km - but don't quote me.  I am well under that but I think the height may be the issue.

Highlighted

The answer would be no. That would now fall under NBNCo's responsibility to provide you with the availability of an equivalent to landline service.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

And therein lies another part of the problem.  NBNCo in rural areas is still not wonderful.  Admitedly better than before but not everywhere.  Even their new SkyMuster sattelites have lag problems and in some cases complete drop outs (nothing to do with weather) which limit the type of internet experience and virtually excludes any type of streaming for movies, gaming etc.  Having the bonus data offerred by the satellite service providers in the middle of the night is not useful for rural people who are up early and work late on their properties.

So again a second rate service for many in rural communities compared to their city cousins.

3G/4G mobile broadband (used as I described earlier as more like a fixed service) is still a better option than NBN in may areas provided the data charges and plans were more reasonable.  Considering Telstra and other providers of this type of service can tell which tower you are connect to and for how long then they should be able to figure out that you are not travelling all over the place with your mobile device.

Of course an amazing idea would be to utilize the technology available to determine those people using the mobile data plans as fixed and perhaps use some of the money Telstra and other providers make from the city folk to subsidise rural mobile (fixed) internet.  I'm sure I'll be dead before any sensible solution is offered.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit