CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
qwilo
Level 3: Gumshoe

Mobile Broadband

Answered
I need some ideas as to being able to keep in touch with kids. I was thinking of a laptop or tablet so that I could Skype.
-Do I need a Usb or SIM card? (figure I need both)
-how much data do I/they need?(does it depend on who calls?)
-they are not in a great reception area
-prepaid or plan?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
qwilo
Accepted Solution

Re: Mobile Broadband

The only drawback to previous solutions is I've since found out Skype(Video chat) are very data hungry.
Cost of plan with enough data for a couple of sessions per week + area reception, I think has put it in the to hard basket. I've since gone with a data share plan on my acc giving me a new phone, kids get unlimited calls/SMS/mms on their phone, so they can call me.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 22: Superhuman

Hello,

A laptop gives you more options than a tablet. You can get screens up to 15.6 inches.

Stores like JB HiFi can assist you.

Regarding internet coverage, if you already have a home phone account with Telstra, you can get a post paid internet connection. Post paid is  cheaper than pre-paid.     Home internet is also  very much cheaper than wireless. Most plans are at least 50GB which is more than you will use, just for Skype.   Depending where you live,  you  can usually get ADSL or cable. Cable is faster and better is available.  

If you buy a tablet, you can only use a sim for wireless.

You can use Skype with both tablet and laptop.

Hope that helps

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles you to be an expert at everything !!"
qwilo

No the Tablet/laptop was for the kids. I have my own in Brisbane with access to wifi and 1G usb mobile,

there is no house phone. They just use their mothers Iphone4s atm which understandably can be a hassle.

Level 22: Superhuman

Hello again,

Depending how old your children are, if at school they would possibly already have a laptop?

Skype works similarly whether laptop or tablet.

You would need a tablet that accepts a sim, not just a wifi tablet.

Tablets, generally do not accept USBs.

Thanks

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles you to be an expert at everything !!"
wdtvandsound
Level 11: Detective

The simplest way is to get an iPad on a Telstra plan Wireless plan that does 3G/4G wireless LTE 4G/4GX, that comes with a tablet SIM like on a phone plan.

Or get a regular iPad that can wireless tether to your phone and use the data plan on your phone that can have for $10 1GB of data added as you run out per/month.

E.g on a $55 dollar plan if you run out, it will cost you an extra $10 to top up with an extra 1GB for the month to $65 for the month. You can't top up on the 25GB plans, as it costs per extra MB.

Telstra thinks that no one needs more than 25GB per/month when on wireless data!!!

Video calls work best on 4G without buffering and glitching, with the faster data speeds!

I'm not a Telstra employee.
I'm a Wireless 3G/4G LTE/4GX Antenna Sub-contractor and these are my opinions and not of Telstra.
qwilo
Accepted Solution

The only drawback to previous solutions is I've since found out Skype(Video chat) are very data hungry.
Cost of plan with enough data for a couple of sessions per week + area reception, I think has put it in the to hard basket. I've since gone with a data share plan on my acc giving me a new phone, kids get unlimited calls/SMS/mms on their phone, so they can call me.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now