CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Dai_K
Level 2: Rookie

Mobile broadband & Voip

Answered

I'm getting really frustrated trying to get voip working with a prepaid 4g usb stick (ZTE's MF821) and Netcomm router 3GM2WN. There seem to be a lot of different opinions on whether its possible or not but I've yet to see a definitive answer. I'm in the country and can't get Telstra to connect me to a landline, so am reliant on the mobile network for communication . The only way I can get it is to connect to an external aerial, so Voip becomes fairly critical. My Voip provider is Mynetfone and all works OK with Optus dongle and netgear router but signal is not strong enough. Does anyone know how to get this to work? - have tried port forwarding etc with no luck.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Mobile broadband & Voip

I don't have that model USB stick but I can tell you that VoIP over 3G works perfectly fine, I have a Fritz!Box 7390 and have a ZTE MF668A plugged in as a backup service (it actually outperforms my ADSL service) using the telstra.internet APN and the VoIP calls are perfect, have 4 different providers setup in the router
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Level 22: Superhuman

I'm in the country and can't get Telstra to connect me to a landline, so am reliant on the mobile network for communication . The only way I can get it is to connect to an external aerial, so Voip becomes fairly critical.

Telstra, as the sole universal service provider under the Universal Service Obligation (USO), is required to provide you with a properly working standard telephone service (charged at standard rates) on request, regardless of whether a copper “land line” is used to deliver it. Perhaps you should insist on Telstra fulfilling that obligation, if you don't want to rely on VoIP which you seem to be having trouble setting up?

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

Drat is correct, even if you don't have copper lines to your premises you can talk to your local TCW (Telstra Country Wide) representative to organise something for you, probably whats called an NGWL or NextG Wireless Link service. (Yes it's a landline thing)

Edit: http://www.telstra.com.au/telstracountrywide/contact-us/

1800 OUR TCW (1800 687 829)

Lathania

I don't have that model USB stick but I can tell you that VoIP over 3G works perfectly fine, I have a Fritz!Box 7390 and have a ZTE MF668A plugged in as a backup service (it actually outperforms my ADSL service) using the telstra.internet APN and the VoIP calls are perfect, have 4 different providers setup in the router
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dai_K

Thanks for the comment Drat but the USO only covers the provision of a voice service and does not include internet. After telling me for 4 months that they would connect me via a land line, they finally decided it was too expensive and offered a radio mast. In today's age, however, a phone service with no internet access is fairly useless. 

Unless you want a phone service. Then it's pretty useful ._. If you're able to get a copper line connection then you are not eligible for NGWL unfortunately so disregard my previous post.
Lathania

Lathania, I tried to  talk to TCW but their local office was closed down, the manager's phone number is off limits and a promise to get him to call me failed miserably. See also my response to Drat.

Dai_K wrote:

In today's age, however, a phone service with no internet access is fairly useless. 

So what does a VoIP service, which is the subject of this thread, do for you functionally that “a phone service with no internet access” does not?

You'd still be able to have data network access using your Next G mobile broadband service, completely separate from the USO/phone/VoIP issue(s).

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Dai_K

Jokiin, is the ZTE stick you refer to a pre-paid option? What would be the Telstra name for it and can you still buy it? Thanks

Dai_K

Drat, the functionality is of course, the same. The point for me is that I spent over $1000 getting trenching done for a landline connection and then had Telstra pull the plug. They have offered an NGWL connection, which will probably cost me in the vicinity of $2000. Given that I now have adequate 3g access for the usb stick courtesy of an externl yagi antenna, it does not seem unreasonable to me to just want to get voip working it. It will save me the $2000 and will save Telstra about $50000

OK, now I understand your concerns a bit better. Thanks for explaining.

——

@Dai_K wrote:

Jokiin, is the ZTE stick you refer to a pre-paid option? What would be the Telstra name for it and can you still buy it? Thanks

this one http://www.zte.com.au/telstra/MF668A.htm I bought mine not long ago from Harvey Norman (price match Officeworks as they were cheaper but out of stock) for $59, came with 3GB of data prepaid

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Technology/Networking/Wireless-Mobile-Broadband/TE1149...

Dai_K

Thanks Jokiin. I'll give it a try.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now