simon_t
Level 2: Rookie

Mobile broadband metering - backfilling

I've been keeping an eye on the mobile broadband metering and there are a few anomalies that I need explaining...

The service started on the 17th. I have usage tracking enabled on both the mac and the router.

Anon #1)

The mac reported 1.5Gb of usage for the day of the 17th. On the morning of the 18th, Telstra reported usage was 4Gb. OK, that MAY have been due to bandwidth used by 2 phones but it I doubt it. Thoughts?

Anon #2)

I've just gone to check the metering again (the morning of the 19th) and Telstra is reporting that the usage for the 17th is no longer 4Gb but 5Gb. What is happening here? Extra data use is being attributed to 2 days ago ....

Please explain. This gets very expensive when we get beyond 80Gb and so when I see spurious data being added to days in the past I'm concerned.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Mobile broadband metering - backfilling

In some cases the data recorded in online meters can be delayed by up to 48 hours which would explain the extra 1 Giabyte of data usage after two days.

The online usage meters meter both uploads and downloads does the MAC record data in each direction?

If your smart phones are Android devices you could check there WIFI data usage in the settings > Data usage

If your smart phones are IOS devices there is a free app called My Data Manager which will record the amount of WIFI data used by the phones.
simon_t

That's helpful. Thanks. I will continue to monitor. Ultimately, the router is the system of record so I will look to that and reconcile to that over say a week after 10 days have passed. That should allow for delays. I am also keeping a running log of data from all data points. Even a 10% margin of error in metering is going to wind up costing $80 per month in overage charges. So I need to be 100% confident that usage reporting is accurate.

Yes, the bandwidth+ app collects uploads and downloads. And thanks for the guidance re monitoring apps.

Will keep you posted.

p.s. if a Telstra engineer would like to work with me on this, just reach out.
simon_t

Had a mysterious 4Gb of upload last night. That's 5% of the monthly allowance and I have no idea where it went. The mac was unplugged (always in a storm). That leaves phones, ipad, chomecast, apple tv and neighbours. Is there any way that Telstra can tell me what devices/processes are using bandwidth. A few more mystery 4Gb uploads and this service becomes untenable.
simon_t

Another mysterious 4Gb upload happened last night. Anyone?
Level 21: Augmented

4GB of upload is strange... Unless you have torrent client on your machine... There could be several explanation for download, ranging from updates etc, but upload???
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

If the data was upload data it could be malware on one of your devices or one of your devices backing up data overnight. Turn of modem overnight and see if it still happens. If that stops the uploads occurring turn of all devices that are connected and gradually turn devices back on to find which device is causing the problem.
I have found that the online meters generally update overnight for the previous day so the uploads could be occurring during the day.so if still occurring overnight with modem turned off try disconnecting all devices for 24 hours.
simon_t

Thanks. I scanned my phone malwarebytes but the device was clean. All devices are now off wi-fi except the mac. Bandwidth+ on the mac reports 8Gb of usage for the period. The router reports 29Gb of usage. All that I can do is monitor the usage and take 4Gb hits as and when they occur until I get to the bottom of this. If usage stabilises then I'll (as you suggest) gradually switch devices back on. Upping the plan limit to 200Gb would make this go away.

p.s. I did read that some backup will start by pushing up data to the servers without checking if the storage is full. That might be the issue. I've killed Samsung cloud, drop box and all backups. I pity anyone attempting to troubleshoot this without 30 years IT experience.

Thanks for your continued support. Switching from an unmetered plan (ADSL) to a metered plan is a rocky road as you have to go backwards over everything to make sure that you are only running the services that you need. When the connection is unlimited, you're not paying much attention because there are no financial consequences. Any thinking about switching to a metered broadband from an unmetered one should be prepared to go through this pain. It's not recommended.
simon_t

Agreed. That's what has thrown me. Downloads I control. Uploads are being triggered by something. I've asked Telstra for the upload logs for the last 72 hours. If data is going to a domain ending in .ru then we have our answer... That request is still pending.
simon_t

As of today, I have 24Gb of mystery uploads.

My current thinking is that this is down to itunes and apple tv, and so have cross-posted to the apple forum. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250049712. Perhaps they have an answer...

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more