CrowdSupport®
Jet761
Level 1: Cadet

Mobile broadband plan confusion

Hi I am having a bit of trouble understanding the difference in pricing between the mobile broadband options on offer.

I have been paying $150/month for 50Gb ($3/Gb) for over  a year. When my contract expired I was offered 80Gb for the same price ($1.87/Gb).  I am unable to get ADSL and already have satellite NBN, 120Gb for $49/month ($0.41/Gb)

Today I recieved an offer from Telstra to pre order the new iPhone8 with one option including 60Gb of data and the phone,for $129/month or 100Gb of data and phone for $199/month. The 2Gb plan costs $87 so it is not too big an assumption to say the 60Gb is only costing $42 ($0.70/Gb) or 100 Gb is $112 ($1.12/Gb). There is a 30Gb option for the same $129 ($1.4/Gb) so the 60Gb offer is exceptional. 

On the mobile broadband page the plans are still sitting on 20Gb for $70 being the highest available Gb plan ($3.5/Gb). 

Could someone explain why there is a $2.80/Gb spread in price for the same service from the same company?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Mobile broadband plan confusion

Was the offer made via a cold call from 'Telstra'? (TSA Group). Their offers are potentially different to the ones telstra provides

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Jet761
Level 1: Cadet

The offer came via the 24/7 app and linked back to the Telstra website. 

having a look no the site they seem to be special pre-order deals

Samsung note8 pre order has the same deal

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Level 23: Superhero

Usage profiles are different.

Average usage at a certain tier/spend level for a mobile phone is going to be lower than a 'home mobile broadband' connection. This makes the economics of the underlying plan different.

Plans are based around X customers using an average of Y% of the actual usage each month.

Also, mobile phone services generate revenue with incoming calls from other providers, mobile broadband services do not.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now