CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Boggles
Level 15: Special Agent

Mobile broadband, upgrade from WIFI to USB device?

Answered

It appears that if you have a mobile broadband service with a WIFI device you cannot upgrade to a mobile broadband service with an USB device and vice versa.

Is this correct and why is this so?

It seems that the only way I can change from one to the other is to make it a new connection and cancelling the old service, but cannot guarantee that I will keep my email address. Not very user friendly if you need to keep that email address.

Is there a way I can upgrade to a different device without having to cancel current service plan.

Smiley Indifferent

Windows Phone Enthusiast, Nokia Lumia 920, 1020 & 520, Microsoft Surface. Windows 8.1. Employed in Telecommunications industry.

I DO NOT work for Telstra, all views and opinions are my own and I do not represent any company whilst in this forum. Follow any advice I give at your own risk as I hold no liability if my advice is wrong.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Mobile broadband, upgrade from WIFI to USB device?

Hey Boggles,

Unfortunately that is correct. The USB and WiFi variants of HSDPA Wireless are not interchangeable. If you signed up for one, you can not register the other on the same account. Sales will generally help you change over if you really need too but it's a system limitation to due with the association of devices and sims from what I'm led to believe.

Edit Reason: Forgot a g!

Lathania

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Hey Boggles,

Unfortunately that is correct. The USB and WiFi variants of HSDPA Wireless are not interchangeable. If you signed up for one, you can not register the other on the same account. Sales will generally help you change over if you really need too but it's a system limitation to due with the association of devices and sims from what I'm led to believe.

Edit Reason: Forgot a g!

Lathania

Thanks Smiley Happy

Windows Phone Enthusiast, Nokia Lumia 920, 1020 & 520, Microsoft Surface. Windows 8.1. Employed in Telecommunications industry.

I DO NOT work for Telstra, all views and opinions are my own and I do not represent any company whilst in this forum. Follow any advice I give at your own risk as I hold no liability if my advice is wrong.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now