CrowdSupport®
Level 2: Rookie

Mobile broadband with more than one user account

I bought a prepaid mobile broadband device a few days ago as an alternative to paid hotel wi-fi when travelling.  My notebook PC has two user accounts.  After logging on and connecting with one of the accounts, the device stops working when the other account is used.  This is quite different from wi-fi where the connection is maintained no matter how often the user account is changed.

The only way I have been able to use the device with a different user account is to disconnect, remove the device, reboot the PC, logon to the other account and reconnect.  This is very frustrating as each of these steps is slow.  Is there any way around this problem?  The notebook is running Windows XP.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Mobile broadband with more than one user account

did you set it up initially under an account with administrator privileges?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Highlighted

Yes, both accounts have administrator privileges.
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

suspect this is more of an XP issue than anything, not sure what the fix is though, is it imperative to keep switching accounts while connected, I'd guess this is not something that comes up much so might be difficult to find others that have had the same issue and worked it out
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Highlighted

After much frustration and trial and error I seem to have a working solution.

1.  'Disconnect' using the Mobile Broadband Manager.

2.  Then 'Exit and Turn off Next G device'.

Both these options are available on the 'File' drop-down menu, which should be used as the status shown in the main manager window is not always correct in my experience.

3. Change user account.  The device will initialise and a connection can be made.  Again, it is best to use the 'File' menu to do this.

Thanks for your interest and suggestions.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit