CrowdSupport®
Yknarf
Level 2: Rookie

Need a 64bit update for MacOS for my Telstra 4G USB+WIFI Plus wingle (Huawei E3872)

Answered

Hi, I have a Pre-Paid Telstra 4G USB+WIFI Plus wingle that I use with my Macbook Air. The Mac software for the wingle it is 32bit. Apple's latest MacOS no longer supports 32bit applications, so I need a 64bit app for the wingle before I can upgrade my MacOS. Where can I find a 64bit software update for Mac? Thanks in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Need a 64bit update for MacOS for my Telstra 4G USB+WIFI Plus wingle (Huawei E3872)

Huawei only has it supporting up to Mac OS X 10.8, so they probably haven't created 64 bit drivers for the Mac.

You would need to use it as a wifi only device in that case.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Yknarf
Accepted Solution

Re: Need a 64bit update for MacOS for my Telstra 4G USB+WIFI Plus wingle (Huawei E3872)

I have completed my upgrade to MacOS 10.15 Catalina (64 bit only) and confirm that I can still use my USB broadband wingle for WiFi with my Mac for WiFi connectivity. The Telstra app on the USB key does not work but personally that doesn't bother me as I didn't use it anyway.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Yknarf

To update your dongle, please refer to below instructions.

1. Connect to the modem using USB or Wi-Fi
  2. Open a web browser
  3. Navigate to the modems web address of http://m.home or http://192.168.1.1/
  4. Select Log In and then enter the admin username and password of admin/admin and click Log In
  5. Select Update
  6. Select Check for Updates

You can find instructions for other 4G dongle models here 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Yknarf

Hi ShannonD, thanks for your reply. I should have said, I've already tried that - the update tells me "This version is up-to-date". But unfortunately, it is a 32 bit app that won't be supported by the new MacOS (version 10.15, Catalina). How do I get a 64 bit app for the Telstra dongle so I can continue using it after I upgrade my Macbook?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Yknarf

From what I can see, it does mention that the device is compatible with Apple Mac OS 10.7 and later.

If you upgrade your OS but have trouble using the device but it is up to date, the next step would be to contact our tech support team on 133933 or securely online here 

If chatting online, please choose 'Broadband, Bundles & Home Phone' & then 'Fault' from the drop down options.

Please let me know how you go.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Huawei only has it supporting up to Mac OS X 10.8, so they probably haven't created 64 bit drivers for the Mac.

You would need to use it as a wifi only device in that case.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
stephenholland
Level 1: Cadet

Any update?

Yknarf

Yes, @Jupiter confirmed that Huawei only support the dongle up to Mac OS X 10.8, so there won't be a 64 bit driver.

However, today I realised (and tested to confirm) that the dongle actually only needs power to connect to WiFi - so I can plug it into a USB charger and still connect to WiFi. I guess I won't be able to use the Telstra app on it, but I didn't use that anyway :-)

So now I'm going to go ahead with my Mac upgrade, and think it should all just work!

unhappy12

This post concerns the incompatibility of the Huawei 32 bit E8372 modem with Mac's recently released 64 bit OS (Catalina), Having no useful advice from Telstra, I contacted Huawei's on-line customer service, who responded very promptly, as follows:

"Kindly note that all the Huawei modem's firmware customization rights has been reserved for our authorized sellers in Australia which are Internet Service Providers as we don't sell any stand alone modem in Australia. So, in this case we don't provide any new or upgrade firmware and for any firmware solution inquiry still you need to contact Telstra."

I commend Huawei for getting back to me so quickly, even if their response is not what I wanted to hear.  I had hoped Huawei could help me directly..

I think this means that we need to look toTelstra for a solution, which is not encouraging.  A disappointing outcome as the Huawei product was a reliable modem and worked extremely well on the 32 bit Mac OS and Telstra, in my experience, has no sustained interest in providing customer service or product support.   Best option would seem to be to junk the E8372 and visit your local Apple dealer, or perhaps an Optus outlet, for a 64 bit replacement modem.

If Telstra was a truly customer-oriented business they would contact by email their Telstra brand Huawei E8372 modem customers with advice, or at least provide an accessible link to a web page outlining options, including an opportunity to buy an upgraded 64bit modem. 

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Yknarf
Accepted Solution

I have completed my upgrade to MacOS 10.15 Catalina (64 bit only) and confirm that I can still use my USB broadband wingle for WiFi with my Mac for WiFi connectivity. The Telstra app on the USB key does not work but personally that doesn't bother me as I didn't use it anyway.

Yknarf

The modem itself does still work, and the app on the USB key is some utility tool that isn't necessary for the wingle to operate as a broadband modem. So for me, it is all fine.

unhappy12

Thank you but this does not answer my need to use this modem to connect to the Internet using my 64 bit OS Mac.  Internet connectivity and WiFi connectivity are two different things. I use the dongle when away from home, on the road and in places without the Telstra Wifi connection.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now