Highlighted
Rikkitik27
Level 1: Cadet

Need a SIM card for laptop for mobile broadband

Answered

I have a new laptop with an ericsson f5521gw moden internal.  Can anyone tell me whether Telstra has a sim card that can be used to connect to 3G service for data only.

Only really need a basic plan or prepaid for 1 to 2 Gig a month for email and small size files.  Not for business use, for University don't want a mega $$$ commitment each month.

Been looking at an Amaysim laptop sim which seems pretty good for the price.

Have been trying to decipher Telstra's website to find if anything exists for laptops but can only find the modems that take up a USB port.

Can anyone provide me a link to the Telsta site that would provide the information I am looking for.

thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Need a SIM card for laptop for mobile broadband

I use the same in an ACER laptop with internal modem, any prepaid mobile broadband SIM is ok to use, I use the 12 month 10GB deal for $150, more than enough for my usage, other deals are listed here http://www.telstra.com.au/bigpond-internet/mobile-broadband/prepaid/rates/ you can pickup a starter SIM just about anywhere, supermarkets, service station etc
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

I use the same in an ACER laptop with internal modem, any prepaid mobile broadband SIM is ok to use, I use the 12 month 10GB deal for $150, more than enough for my usage, other deals are listed here http://www.telstra.com.au/bigpond-internet/mobile-broadband/prepaid/rates/ you can pickup a starter SIM just about anywhere, supermarkets, service station etc
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Rikkitik27
Level 1: Cadet

jokiin,

Thanks for that reply as it is probably what I am after.  Potentially a bit more expensive than Amaysim but the network coverage is probably better.  It'll give me something to do comparisons with. 

As I understand it then, the Telstra process is to pick up a $2 sim and when activating ensure it is for data only?  I guess I'll find that out.

It is a pity that Telstra doesn't have a "sim for laptop without external usb dongle" section in the prepaid as it would make understanding the scope of their product usage a lot easier.  Then again I guess they are all fired up pushing their new 4G wireless service.

thanks again

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now