CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
pc-49
Level 2: Rookie

Netgear Nighthawk excessive data consumption/charging - fixed?

Answered

Hi, Moving house shortly to Dingley Village, Melb where NBN (HFC) is not due for approx a year. Was considering signing up for Mobile Broadband using the Netgear Nighthawk as at least an interim if not permanent solution. But have read here (admittedly a year or so ago) that users were complaining of excessive data consumption eg 20GB a day for just email and web browsing. We are a retired couple, not big users (email, reading paper online, skype with family etc), and use between around 20 to 30 Gb max a month. Has this excessive data useage been solved via firmware updates?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Netgear Nighthawk excessive data consumption/charging - fixed?

Hi PC-49,

You are welcome.

This is one area that can catch people out with using a faster data connection. When you access for example Skype video calls or websites that may stream some of the content. A lot of news sites seem to have videos that auto start playing when you view the site, with a faster bandwidth available a higher quality of content is made available which results in more data being used.

Pity to read that there is no existing cable connection. Yes that is correct that ownership of the infrastructure is handed over to NBN Co and quite possible that the area your new address is located has already been transferred.

You can run the Nighthawk plugged in to the charger.
-Ern

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Thanks for the reply pc-49.

I haven't seen any specific feedback from Nighthawk users regarding Skype calls.

Regrettably, there is no try and return option for the Nighthawk. Once purchased and contracted, a refund wouldn't be provided. 

Please don't hesitate to reply if you have any further questions. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Support Team
Support Team

Hi pc-49,

I can appreciate your concern regarding the data use. One of the major contributing factors to the data use with the Nighthawk was due to the speed of the data which allowed for a larger volume to be used within a shorter period of time and this appeared to catch some users out. There may have been some other factors but we have not had reports about issues with data use in relation to the Nighthawk in recent times. However we do recommend to keep an eye on your data use especially when changing technology as you may need to adjust your usage behaviour.

Have you checked our bundles page http://tel.st/83vp to see if either ADSL or Cable is available at your new address? I would have thought that if NBN via HFC is being rolled out, Cable broadband may already be available. If you move to one of our current bundles, these are NBN compatible and you'll be able to transfer the plan to NBN when it's available at your address.

-Ern

pc-49

Hi Em,

Thanks for that prompt reply.  I presume your comment about faster speed leading to greater data use can only apply if the user now performs a lot more activity on the web.  We only use it for emails (and won't suddenly start sending or receiving more or larger emails), and pretty basic web browsing (reading newspaper and abc newsite online), and maybe 3 or 4 30 min skype calls per month.  Having checked our current useage over the last 6 months it has ranged fro 8GB to 16Gb per month, with 4 months in the 11GB to 12 GB per month.  Assuming our usage remains the same (which I see no reason for it to change), then presumably our usage on the Netgear Nighthawk would show the same results? 

Whilst friends who happen to live in the same street have Telstra cable, your website says that only ADSL is available at our upcoming new address.  Checking in a Telstra shop as to why cable is not available because your HFC cable is obviously in the street (underground), the response was that Telstra now longer owns it (sold to NBN), and are not allowed to connect new users to it and therefore have to wait for NBN rollout.  If previous owner had Telstra cable connected already, then would have been available to us, but since not, have to wait for NBN.  Have had ADSL previously and never really happy - average of about 4Mbps download speed only, and often much less.  Hence the thought of using the Netgear Nighthawk.

Your reply implies there was not a 'firmware fix' per se for the massive data use, and that was therefore user specific? 

One final question - for home use is it run off battery only and the recharged when battery is running out, or can it be run plugged in to power fulltime (like our current cable modem)?

Thanks.

PC-49 

Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi PC-49,

You are welcome.

This is one area that can catch people out with using a faster data connection. When you access for example Skype video calls or websites that may stream some of the content. A lot of news sites seem to have videos that auto start playing when you view the site, with a faster bandwidth available a higher quality of content is made available which results in more data being used.

Pity to read that there is no existing cable connection. Yes that is correct that ownership of the infrastructure is handed over to NBN Co and quite possible that the area your new address is located has already been transferred.

You can run the Nighthawk plugged in to the charger.
-Ern

pc-49

Thanks Em, yes autoplay videos in news websites are a hassle, but think I have pretty much turned that off in my Firefox browser, so now have to specifically request those to play. I guess if more bandwidth is available for skype it would use it, but there presumably is a limit to what it will use - doing some google checks would seem to indicate between 4 and 10 MB per min. would be interesting to know if any Nighthawk users have done measurements on this for skype video calls ....
I guess I could always try the Nighthawk and if it uses ridiculous amount of data, take it back to Telstra and ask for refund if I switch to an ADSL service .....................
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Thanks for the reply pc-49.

I haven't seen any specific feedback from Nighthawk users regarding Skype calls.

Regrettably, there is no try and return option for the Nighthawk. Once purchased and contracted, a refund wouldn't be provided. 

Please don't hesitate to reply if you have any further questions. 

pc-49

Hi Dani,
If no one in Telstra knows how it performs with respect to data consumption why is it still being sold? The several threads on Crowdsupport on this topic were all last year, with no solution other giving the unit back. The fact that there were no other threads that I have seen in the last 9 months or so, I had assumed there had been a firmware fix, but Em in their response indicated that was not the case. I am surprised if staff in Telstra don't have access to the device and are able to measure its data consumption over various activities (eg web browsing, 30 min skype video call etc. I don't think I can take a risk on the product/contract on a 12 or 24 month plan if it will use up my monthly allowance in 2 days .....
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for the reply pc-49

Data usage remains the same no matter what device is used. If there are any irregularities, our technical teams will investigate on a case by case basis.

I recommend checking out our data usage calculator at http://tel.st/45v5z which will give you a rough idea on how much data is required. 

On top of that and as an approximate guide Skype says the following are examples of typical data usage.

• Skype-to-Skype calls: 50kbps or around 375KB for one minute of calling
  • Calls to mobile numbers or landlines: 6-20 kbps or around 150KB for one minute of calling
  • Video calls between two mobile phone devices: 500kbps
  • Video calls between a mobile phone and a computer: 600kbps

pc-49

Thanks Dani,
Have used that tool and it estimates just under 15Gb per month, which is pretty consistent with my actual usage on current cable account in last 6 months. so what caused the excessive data use issues users were complaining about last year?
Support Team
Support Team

Without reviewing each case and account, I would be unable to give a definitive answer as to why there was an increase in data usage with some users. 

Level 21: Augmented

Hi @pc-49,

what you have read (and I did not search for it) must have come from the perpetual whingers and Telstra bashers... The amount of data used by various services (SKYPE, e-mail etc) cannot be different on WAN or ADSL/NBN connection... The only case where data usage could be higher would be video streaming - if it senses better connection it will send you better (higher resolution) video, hence increasing data consumption... But basic things like browsing web, reading e-mail and even doing skype voice mails should be same...

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
pc-49

Thanks,

One follow up question. 

I currently run a VIOP phone off my current wifi router, will that be able to run off the ethernet port on the M1 - either directly plugging the VIOP box into the ethernet port, or by plugging in my existing wifi router to the ethernet port and then the Viop box off that router as at present?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @pc-49,

I'm not altogether familiar with third party VOIP boxes, but as long as that works with a normal ethernet connection then it should work in the ethernet port of the Nighthawk M1.

pc-49

Hi thedylan,
Yes the viop box works off a normal ethernet connection from my existing wifi router.
Karwen
Level 1: Cadet

My Nighthawk M1 is using so much data that I have turned it off and returned to using a phone as a hotspot while travelling. In one night it used 12gb, putting me 8 gb over my 35gb allowance.
This is a commonly reported problem on the forums but I see no fix anywhere on line.
Considering I was totally out of range for 2 weeks of the month it used 42gb in 2 weeks, our normal usage while travelling is less than 15gb.
I am not streaming, do not make Skype calls and in the past 5 days on my phone have used 0.31gb doing what I normally do. The extra speed does not equate to any extra usage.
Yesterday I turned the Nighthawk on to run my chromecast to play downloaded movies and it used 5gb of data. No connections to the internet during that time.
This device is scaring me. It was bought to give us access in remote areas - I have a high gain antenna attached.
I have read that the packet size is 117mg which is huge, I wouldn't use that much in a day let alone each time I connect. This needs to be fixed.
It is clearly not capable of performing as advertised.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Karwen,

I'm sorry that you have some concerns over the usage accrued by your mobile broadband device, data is always something that's hard to make sense of, if you think there is a fault or other issue with the device I would suggest doing some trouble shooting, you'll find advice online here https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/broadband/user-guides/pre-paid-mobile-broadband-user-gui...

If you'd like to chat to the technical team about this you can chat online  https://www.telstra.com.au/chatnow/landing or call through on 133933

Get back to me if you need further assistance.

Angela 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now