CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
1dfo
Level 1: Cadet

Netgear Telstra wifi 4GX Advanced III Wifi Networking Printer Issues

Can connect wifi devices to modem and get internet, but cannot 'ping' any of my printers or associated pc's on the network and cannot print to the printers, I can scan to email from the multifunction printer. Help please!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
44 REPLIES 44
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Netgear Telstra wifi 4GX Advanced III Wifi Networking Printer Issues

Hi 1dfo

So that we can get the best advice for you, I'll be forwarding your concerns to our Social Media Tech team so that they can touch base with you later in the day. 

Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Montydog1

Have the same problem. Spent over an hour with the instore telstra tech where I purchased it from yesterday and he had no idea?? Everything works in seconds on my old 4G advanced device but not on the new device?? I can connect the printer and all laptops (4) and Mobile phones to the device without problem, however when it comes to trying to communicate with the printer there is no hope with the printer stating it is offline??

Tech tried blaming my laptop but I said I have the same problem on all devices. He downloaded a printer app to my phone and tried to connect to it unsuccessfully??

As soon as we reconnected the older device it worked straight away? There is obviously a problem with the 4GX advanced III and it's capabilities to communicate with printers but the in store tech had no idea??

Aircard 810S, Brother MFC J625DW printer, windows 7, windows 10 and various Android devices.

IT_Navigate

I have a customer with the same problem. I have tested and found that I cannot ping any devices connected to the same AirCard.

They have an AirCard 810S, Canon MG5500 series printer, various Apple and Android devices.

Shame I was having trouble logging on the the CrowdSupport site, I may have seen this before I posted (somehow twice) as Itnavigate.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi,

It appears there may be an issue with this device connecting to printers via Wi-Fi. I suggest giving us a call on 13 22 00 and speaking with our Mobile faults team so we can investigate this issue further.

-Matt W

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Itnavigate
Level 4: Private Eye

Hi Matt,
It is not an issue with printers not being able to connect to the device, as I had a Canon that did a firmware update, but the pc cannot connect to it. Also, two computers on the same device cannot communicate with each other. As I mentioned in another thread, I think that the firmware on the devices has WiFi isolation enabled.
Colin Manning
Itnavigate

OK, so now I am itnavigate, earlier I was IT_Navigate. How do I mere these two id's?
Colin Manning
grahcom

I am having the same problem with my Air Card 810s purchased late last week. Don't know what firmware version it has as I can't find that info. I have 2 Toshiba laptops (Win 7 & XP) and a Cannon MX420 wireless printer that have been working fine on my network for past 4 yrs, with various 3G and 4G mobile wireless wifi modems with Testra, Optus, Vodaphone, network and printer still works fine on all other modems but not this new Air Card 810s, Printer and laptops show on the modem, but not in the network, and each time I turn off the modem, the next time I connect to it, it makes a new network connection and asks me to choose Home, Public, or Work and adds a number to the end of SSID name, ie if was connected as xxxxxx 7 next time it connects after being turned off it goes to xxxxxx 8 and so on it goes. driven me nuts and 13200 Telstra phone tech can't work out what problem is, taking laptop and modem to local Telstra store for the tech to check it out tomorrow am. I've not had a Netgear modem since the 90's back then they were buggy so i gave them a miss, looks like they still are buggy.

Be interesting to see what tech says tomorrow.  

grahcom

Local store tech had a look couldn't fix problem, tried connected the modem via USB, same problem occurred each time it was turned off & removed from the laptop and reconnected the device to the laptop via usb, it would still ask to Select a location for the xxxxxx ?? network (increasing the ?? from previous number ie 11 to 12 and so on)

The tech advised me to recontact 13200

Recontacted 132200 apears they don't know how to fix and don't know how far away a firmware upgrade is ..

This modem does not work as it should, so can't be considered as acceptable quality to me the consumer.   this modem is going back.....
Allen_Chen
Level 3: Gumshoe

I had the same issue. However I now realised that this device is a hotspot device, sharing internet to 4G or 3G. It doesn't route traffic between devices connected. This is similar to devices hotspoting to an iPhone which won't allow you to contact other devices connected to iPhone.

grahcom

As well as letting your computer connect to the internet, the device is supposed to allow your computer to connect to a printer and print via wifi, and to connect to other computers on a network via wifi, just like other mobile broadband modems do, but this one is supposed to be so much faster and better at doing this, but it fails and only works as a wifi to let your devices connect to the internet. Netgear are working on a a fix, but when it comes and if will fix the problems ?????
Allen_Chen

Has someone hooked 4GX Advanced III to AirCard Smart Cradle ?

Looks like It will turn netgear AirCard mobile hotspot into LTE router. NetGear Aircard accessories

Having this device I think all connected devices should be able to contact each other and share internet from AirCard.

I want to know if anyone tried and works before I purchase this item.

At the moment I am just using a D-Link DIR-600 to provide wifi routing between printer and devices that needs to print. It's pain switching wifi when needing to use internet.

grahcom

grahcom

Ok so I considered my options, 1- wait for firmware upgrade, 2- return the 4GX Advanced 111 Air Card 810s device as not fit for use and get the older but proven 4GX Huawei made 4G Advanced Pro X or 3-buy a cradle.

Decided to give the cradle a try, under the proviso if it didn't fix all my problems it could be returned for full refund. I decided on the Netgear AirCard Smart Cradle (DC112A) from

https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/site/catalog/4g-equipment/4g-usb-routers
and it should also solve weak wifi in parts of the house and help improve signal reception 4 bars here at home and less when caravanning around in some regional areas.

Cradle arrived a everything works as it should straight out of the box, no mucking around with settings etc... the printer and computers on the network all 'talk' and work fine, the network is sooo much fast than with my old Telstra Mobile WiFi 4G SW760S modem, as is the internet. WiFi signal is 'full house' any where in our house or yard. So my other devices tablets/phones 'fly'. Signal reception is also 'full house'. So very happy with the cradle.

99% of the time the 810s will be used in the cradle, but I do hope any firmware upgrade on Aircard 810s fixes it's network/communication problems.

Allen_Chen

Thanks for the feedback on the cradle. I just realiased the cradle as a peripheral of aircard costs more than the aircard itself. I'll think twice.

GOAWAY01

Same issue here.

45mins on phone, 1+ hours on Chat and the closest I could get to them resolving the issue was to take it to a store where they'll assess it.

Unbelievable.

grahcom

Yes lots of folk on this board and whirlpool forums have the comms problem with this modem won't work as it is supposed to do, ie wont talk via wifi to printer or other computers on a network.. Netgear and Telstra both aware of the problem an upgrade firmware patch is supposed to be in the making but who knows when and if it will fix the problems. Either take it back and swap it for the Hawaei made Telstra WI-FI 4G Advanced Pro within the 30 days of purchase or get a cradle. There are some cheaper ones about but either of the Netgear ones seem to work straight up.

Farmgirl

Big thank you to the lovely people at Brother. I have one of their MFC and had the same issue as others. Now, without a cradle (that made no difference in my case) my computer and printer are "talking" to each other. However, based on years of experience with Telstra products, who knows how long that will last? 

geobee123

810S will not network, faulty firmware. Ours is going back this week also. Should be off the shelves until it's solved.
grahcom

Hi Matt_Telstra from tech support,

Wondering if you have any input into when a firmware 'fix' for this modem is going to available?
Farmgirl

Hello Everyone, The Printer people, as noted in previous post, have been most helpful, HOWEVER, this is the latest from NETGEAR: "Basically, the printer should connect and the computer will be able to communicate with the printer since they are both connected locally. However, the AirCard is not built for that purpose. The main purpose of the AirCard is to provide Internet connection to wireless devices. Also, AirCard device can only provide limited connection. It means that you can only connect maximum of 15 devices. " I read that as 'we really don't care'. Thanks NETGEAR. And Telstra needs to ensure they are providing a device that does what we are led to believe it will do!

grahcom

Yes and if they are going to continue selling the device, sales staff should be making people aware it has networking issues,and either selling them  the Hawaei made Telstra WI-FI 4G Advanced Pro device or they may need to get a cradle for the Netgear device to network.    

Farmgirl

I found the cradle made no difference.

grahcom

What cradle did you use?  I have the Netgear Smart cradle that has been talked about in the various forums and it works a treat. on Win 7 - Win XP and Cannon MX420 printer on a network  http://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/mobile-broadband/hotspots/AirCardSmartCradle.aspx 

I purchased from here with garantee of return if it  didn't fix the problem http://www.antennashop.com.au/shop/netgear/telstra-mobile-wifi-4g-netgear-aircard-760s/netgear-smart...

I also contacted Testra Billing complained re this modem and happy with the outcome...

Allen_Chen

What was the happy outcome after the complaint? Did you get partial refund to pay towards the cradle?

CharmianD

I am having identical issues to everyone here, and after speaking to a printer tech I was told that this so-called Advanced III is not just a newer version of my old Advanced II (currently sent away for, hopefully, service) but really a rather 'disabled' version that just behaves as internet access for a bunch of devices and NOT, as my old unit was, a network router that gave me interconnectivity between devices on my home network.

Is there going to be a firmware update to allow the devices on my network to access each other and the printer? or am I going to have to return this device to my Telstra agent for a refund or exchange? I bought this device outright in the belief it would work in the same way as my old one.

Can I buy a new Advanced II (Netgear AirCard S90) from Telstra?

grahcom

Allen_Chen - Yes, I was happy with the outcome.

ChairmanD... As far as I'm aware there is still no fix for the Netgear Telstra wifi 4GX Advanced III  (except a cradle)  take it back and swap it for the Hawaei made Telstra WI-FI 4G Advanced Pro device.

Lerob

I have the same issues. Printers work fine with old Mobile Wi-Fi 4G, but nothing happens with Netgear 4GX Advanced 111. The printer says it is connected, the laptop is connected - but when I try to print it says the printer is not connected. This is rubbish. I have spent hours trying to resolve the problem. Obviously the new device is not up to the job. Telstra should not sell stuff that doesn't work properly.

Farmgirl

I gave up with the device and returned it. I asked for and received full credit to my account of all dollars expended in association with this device. Additionally to the problems with connecting printer and computer I also found it used up my monthly data allowance in the first day each month, even if I had not connected to the internet!!

Telstra needs to reseach and provide its customers with an alternative. 

grahcom

Lerob there is still no firmware update to fix this device, the only real fix is to return it, or get a cradle as I did and claim back from Telstra.  I've also found that it seems to use more data than my other 2 4G devices, I initailly put this down to my useage of the new device, but that may not be the case as it is continuing to use more data.

rgd

Enable IPv6 on the printer. You'll likely find this under Network settings, possibly Advanced, on the printer control panel.

I have been able to print from a Windows10 laptop to both a HP Officejet 4620 and a Samsung CLX 3305FW using the Aircard 810s.

Hope this helps.

mallinss
Level 6: Bloodhound

Yes, I purchased the Netgear cradle at the same same I bought the modem... don't waste your money...the cradle severly degrades the performance of the modem. If you are looking for a device to attach the Advanced 4GX III with that gives you much better WifI connectivity and a bunch of 1Gbps ports plus the ability to keep your modem connected using USB and charging, plus (but wait there is more) attach a secondary modem as a failover backup device, then need you to look at the Dovado Pro 

http://www.dovado.com/en/products.

I have this along with many of other people I know and it rocks.... I got mine from overseas online, as at the time they were not released in Australia, but I think there are available here now...

I have not looked back....

Steve

rgd

I downloaded and installed an update to the 810s yesterday which appears to resolve the issue. I can now print from my mobile phone as well which was not possible before even using IPV6.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi rgd

glad to hear that the update has resolved your printing issue.
-Ern

PhilipC83

Where do you get this new firmware from, and how do you install it?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@PhilipC83,

Firmware updates for our devices are often automatic or prompted in the UI when logging into the Modem via a web browser using 10.0.0.138 or http://m.home

Are you prompted to update when logging in?

What's the current version of the firmware you're using?

- Matt

Trakkie

I went through the drama with the printers after purchacing the 4GX Advanced III about four months agao and after approx two weeks on the phone to various consultants, and complaints the device was eventually returned.

I would love to go to another plan (upgrade from my existing that is now out of date) that offers more data (or the ability to pay for more when required) but must have printer access.

Today I went into a Telstra Shop to see if I could purchase the Advanced III with an updated firware.  Stunned looks from all an and they said it is not a Telstra problem and had to contact Big Pond.......

Will not go back to them.

If I order/go to a new plan on line will I get a device that has the firmware up-date.

PS. I cannot get access to land line for ADSL etc as no spaces available and NBN will never get to me and I am only 10 km from Canberra.

Regards

grahcom

Why would you bother with the problem prone 4GX Advanced III when you can get the 4GX Advanced Pro 

Trakkie

Sorry. I would prefer the Advanced Pro  but it was having the same problems with the printer.

grahcom

Not aware of any problems being reported anywhere with the Huawei Telstra WI-FI 4G Advanced Pro 

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

It would be very unlikely/probably impossible that you would purchase a mobile broadband device with the most up to date firmware already on it. Even the fixed line modems start with the original firmware at initial release on them years after that date. It would need to be updated after the devce has connected to the internet

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
tomhad
Level 2: Rookie

Who says it is supposed to ? who do I contact at TElstra to fix

tomhad

what is this cradle ?? adn I am not taliking about the AIR I am talking about the  4GX plus ????

tomhad

810 ???

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey tomhad,

The best contact to have this investigated and tested further is the Mobile Faults team. They can be reached on 132200 (24/7) and saying 'Mobile Faults' or they also have a chat service available 24/7 as well at:

http://tel.st/8jgx

Please let us know how you get on?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit