Palian
Level 4: Private Eye

Nighthawk M1 Router Firmware

Just received a new firmware update for my Telstra Nighthawk M1 router. Does anybody know what the change log is.

The firmware went from NTG9X50C_10.25.01.01 to the new one NTG5X50C_12.06.02.00

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
hyppolyte
Level 6: Bloodhound

Re: Nighthawk M1 Router Firmware

Hello @Palian

I saw the update last night and went looking in the usual places; Netgear Forum, Whirlpool etc

but nothing mentioned. I was pleased to see you had updated with no ill effects.

I also wish they would include a change log.

Anyway have updated today to    NTG5X50C_12.06.02.00.

The only thing I could find different apart from Gui and Pri version numbers was the addition of SINR in the diagnostics. Something I missed since changing from the Netgear 790s.

Here is a screenshot of the page and one of what the various signal values mean.

Link to info:

making-sense-of-signal-strengths

The upgrade may have improved other things like Arlo and DLNA server, things I do not use and cannot comment on. Apart from that it seems to have gone smoothly so far.

New in Diagnostics-RS-SINR.jpgSignal Strength  and Quality Readings.jpg

Palian

Hi hyppolye

I to have looked at all the normal sites to see if there was a change log but like you have found anything. Wish that they would provide one. Hopefully this may also have fixed the issue of the router freezing up every few days as I use it as a permanent router and do not have the battery installed.

As for the upgrade I have not noticed anything different for my Arlo cameras, but still looking.

Thanks for the link as it now explains it for me.

hyppolyte

Nice to talk with you again @Palian

I too have my Nighthawk without battery as main internet.

Most it's ever lasted for me while plugged into a quickcharge-3 is 7 days, then as you say the freeze. Will have to wait and see.

I just ethernet mine into a Dovado and use that to serve the house with an ancient slow offnet ADSL+ as failover.

Happy Arloing

Palian

@hyppolyte wrote:

Nice to talk with you again @Palian

Great to talk with you again as well hyppolyte

Hopefully the freezing has been fixed. Will have to wait and see.

Have also been told that the router may be able to use 5G when it comes out. Would be great as the speeds I am getting on average are 93.9 Mbps Download and 31.3 Mbps Upload.

Palian

Would still like Telstra to give us a change log or at least what the update did to change the Nighthawk
hyppolyte

Tradition indicates that a change log is not a high priority for Telstra. Far too busy following their master plan.

With regards to 5G capabiltiy, check out this opinion :

"5G is a marketing ploy/hoax, just like LAA.  The range of the broadcast area is so small as to be completely useless.  Additionally, on the MR1100, you have to turn off 5.8Ghz Wifi to get it (assuming you're in the 4 to 9 block area in which it's being broadcast)"

from US customer in this post: Nighthawk-5G-Mobile-Hotspot

It looks like the MR1100 will eventually be superceded, although it appears from that post to be useable with the 5G.

The picture is from this blog:

netgear-nighthawk-5g-mobile-hotspot-worlds-first

Nighthawk-M5Fusion-P4-Models-Assy-Vert-Camera-5.70223-copy-600x581.pngNighthawk® 5G Mobile Hotspot

It looks more like the 790S or 810S with the home button on the touchscreen.

Meanwhile back at the ranch; my MR1100 seems to be smooth but possibly running even hotter that usual.

Palian

@hyppolyte wrote:

Tradition indicates that a change log is not a high priority for Telstra. Far too busy following their master plan.

Meanwhile back at the ranch; my MR1100 seems to be smooth but possibly running even hotter that usual.

Just wish that it would be high priority.

My MR1100 seems to be running at the same temp. Have not noticed any difference yet in the temp. The only thing that I have noticed is that the blue LED instead of blinking once every few seconds seems to be double blinking then a single blink every few seconds.

Have read about the new unit in the states. Hope that our units are 5G.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more