CrowdSupport®
Ally1290
Level 2: Rookie

Nighthawk M1

I have just recently put a prepaid sim in my Netgear Nighthawk M1 and the Netgear Mobile app wont recognize it, and http://m.home won't work either, I have money on the sim but I don't know what else to do! I have reset the modem many times and uninstalled the app and reinstalled, what else can I do so it recognizes the modem??
Alice Cordwell

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Nighthawk M1

Hi Ally.

I might just clarify a few things with you here.

Is the SIM you are attempting to use in the Nighthawk a Pre-Paid Broadband SIM? A mobile phone SIM may not work in this device.

To connect using the Netgear Mobile app or http://m.home, you would need to be connected to the network which would be broadcast by the Nighthawk. Are you able to successfully connect to this network?

Alternatively, you could connect a computer via ethernet to the Nighthawk, and this should allow the same access.

Please let me know if this information helps.

-Kieran

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Ally1290

Hi Kieran,
I received a SIM from telstra for mobile phones, tablets and modems. As they said it would work in my nighthawk. The sim works fine, but my nighthawk won't connect to the app on my phone at all. My phone just tells me that it is an incorrect Wi-Fi mobile router - not supported by the NETGEAR MOBILE app. I now have a SIM in there that's on a plan from telstra, and my phone still won't connect, still says the same thing. I don't know what else to do.

Alice.
Alice Cordwell
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks Ally1290, for the update. Can other devices see and/or connect to that wi fi network? - Matthew. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Mkrtich
Level 12: Master Detective

Ally1290 - I was not sure if you lost the ability to use the App that worked before or you wanted to load it as a new App. You may wish to speak to Netgear in Australia to clarify their web page information in case anything has changed recently in terms of support. The Telstra M1 or M1100 is not included ( same for M2) in the list of routers supported by the NETGEAR Nighthawk App(08/05/2019) or the NETGEAR Genie App(09/04/2019) but on their M1 site the Netgear Nighthawk App is featured as the last folio in the web page description giving a potential buyer or owner the impression it does.

Otherwise, can you enter the M1's IP address into your smartphone's browser get into the Router settings to access the information you need to see or edit.
Mkrtich

This annoying to watch YouTube clip may provide a clue - no audio and very fast change of screens. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbfJk37eVqc.

Assuming it is the Netgear Mobile App connecting to an M1 where the presenter shows how the speed capability can be enhanced. The presenter gets an error when initially connecting that says "Incorrect Wi-Fi Mobile Router (DUNIA-KU-5G). Sorry this Router Mobile Router is not supported by the Netgear Mobile App"  - is this what you are seeing?

By selecting the blue text below the error which is "Change WiFi Settings" this connects the user to iPhone Settings for connection to the M1 Wi-Fi Network. Then the presenter is challenged with the M1 Admin and Password screen and viola - they are in. 

I can't imagine Netgear not covering the M1 and M2 in their Mobile Apps as they appear to be popular. 

Highlighted
Ally1290

Hi Matty No my tablet says the same thing, and the apps are updated, I used to use the nighthawk as Wi-Fi previously but I have now payed it off.
Alice Cordwell
Ally1290

Yes I have tried entering the details it has inside the back of the nighthawk but nothing comes up, saying incorrect SSID address etc
Alice Cordwell
Ally1290

It doesn't give me any options to put in admin password etc Smiley Sad I have tried putting the details in the back of the nighthawk manually but still no success Smiley Sad
Alice Cordwell
Ally1290

I have android also, but shouldn't make a difference as it used to work fine previously before I disconnected and had to end up going back to it as we cannot get NBN at our house. I have reset the nighthawk many times but still says the same error message
Alice Cordwell
Mkrtich

Ally1290 - very unexpected. On the M1, after you turn it on - do you see it's Wi-Fi SSID and Password in the M1 circular panel display by you pressing the power button to toggle through the display till you see this information per the user guide - it is suppose to show there. And if so, is it different to the information you are seeing on the back or inside the M1. I assume both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz bands would share the same SSIDs and Passwords but they may also be different. Not sure how Android operates - if you need to forget previous Wi-Fi networks before selecting the M1 Wi-Fi. Hope the mystery is eventually solved .

Mkrtich

Hi ally1290 - If you have Factory Reset the M1 but the pressing the Reset button inside the M1, I would expect it to default to 2.4 and 5. GHZ Dual Band; other settings are 2.4 Ghz only, 5 Ghz only or Wi-Fi OFF. If you are able to enter a SSID and password on your Android or Tablet, that implies the M1 SSID invitation is being broadcast. If you get an error that says it is incorrect, make sure your entries exactly match the ones on the M1 display; Example Only -  SSID TPPW4G_A7E4  and Password 20143281 where the character between the G and A is an underscore, not a hyphen and no spaces before or after the any of the characters. 

If that does not work and you have a PC with either a USB or LAN cable and are able to connect directly to the M1, open a web browser and enter its IP address or name; 192.168.1.1 or the web http://m.home. Log in via Administrator Password, admin.  You should be able to go to Wi-Fi settings to verify all Settings information - both the Web View and the Netgear Mobile App view should match the SSID and Password on your M1 Display and inside Sticker. If they match what you have been inputting, can you try powering down your Android Phone, removing the Battery, wait 30 seconds,refit battery, power up Android again. If your Android is Auto Connecting you to the M1 unsuccessfully to the previously save SSID, can you Remove the M1 Network from Wi-Fi Settings or Forget It. Then try creating up a fresh M1 Wi-Fi Profile in the Android by entering the SSID and Password in manually.

If unsuccessful, I think you may have to contact Telstra and ask them if there is a technical problem with your M1.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now