CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

Prepaid Mobile Broadband - Which data pool (expiry) is used first?

I've got a prepaid account with the current Mobile Broadband (Telstra Pre Paid Mobile Broadband Plus) product as of Feb 2018. About to recharge the $150 for 40GB (usually 25) with 365 days expiry. My question is if I know in advance I will use a lot of data in a particular 28 day period so therefore add one of the 28 day recharges during the year the original 40GB is valid, which data pool does it come out of? Will the data with soonest expiry be used first? Or first purchased? (which means there's no point, I'd just be better off running down the 40GB before buying any more) Or last purchased?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Prepaid Mobile Broadband - Which data pool (expiry) is used first?

I'm not 100% sure, but in that scenario, I think you would actually lose the initial 40GB as the 365 day expiry and the 28 day expiry products have different conditions.

You would actually be better off, if you are going to run out of the 40GB on the 365 day expiry plan, to wait until it runs out of data and then recharge with whatever you need to at the time.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Prepaid Mobile Broadband - Which data pool (expiry) is used first?

Hmm...will be interesting to see if there's any official take on that from Telstra.

Looking at the prices there's not a lot of saving in the lower price recharges compared to the rate of the $150 recharge; the $50 is a little bit better value if I was going to use most of the 10/20GB in the month.  In that case with the scenario you describe, the best option would then just be to buy another SIM as separate service!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit