trousers
Level 6: Bloodhound

Prepaid broadband

Answered
I have a $180 prepaid broadband plan over 12 months and I want to know if I will be able to send an receive emails and talk on Skype back to Aus when I am in Alaska ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Prepaid broadband

You can definitely use your pre-paid plan while you're overseas however you do need to be aware that the prices are quite high while outside Australia.

You will be able to use the existing credit on your service however it is charged at the international roaming rate of $15.36 per MB. This means you might have enough for some emailing but Skype calls will not fit in your usage. 

Full details are here: http://www.telstra.com.au/internet/mobile-broadband/prepaid/rates/#tab-Prices-while-Overseas

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
trousers

I notice that my post has been moved to prepaid mobile broadband. My prepaid broadband is on a Motorola XOOM tablet not on a mobile phone Ann I want to know if I will be able to send and receive emails and make phone calls via Skype when I am in Alaska I in July and August?
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

You can definitely use your pre-paid plan while you're overseas however you do need to be aware that the prices are quite high while outside Australia.

You will be able to use the existing credit on your service however it is charged at the international roaming rate of $15.36 per MB. This means you might have enough for some emailing but Skype calls will not fit in your usage. 

Full details are here: http://www.telstra.com.au/internet/mobile-broadband/prepaid/rates/#tab-Prices-while-Overseas

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Level 22: Superhuman

G'day Trousers,

I don't think global roaming works with pre-paid data accounts. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Where about in Alaska are you off to?

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

If you are doing the cruise around Alaska, use the WiFi on the ship. Will save you a fortune. And there is very little mobile coverage in most of Alaska so service will be very intermittent.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
trousers

Hi Jupiter
Thanks for that but I am not cruising but some of the Motels we are staying at have WiFi so we will use that.
trousers

Hi Wanglese
Thanks for the reply. JesseS says it works but expensive so I may buy an add on pack which Is cheaper.
I am going to a fishing Lodge on the Kenai River at Soldotna for 6 days King Salmon and Halibut fishing then I meet my 2sisters in Anchorage for 10 days. Driving around in a hire car. We go to Denali NP ,Valdez cruise around Prince William Sound Ferry across to Whittier then to Homer. Fly across Cook Inlet to Silver Salmon Creek Lodge for Bear viewing back to Seward then back to Anchorage for the flight home. Want to come I am counting the sleeps.

@trousers wrote:
Hi Wanglese
Thanks for the reply. JesseS says it works but expensive so I may buy an add on pack which Is cheaper.
I am going to a fishing Lodge on the Kenai River at Soldotna for 6 days King Salmon and Halibut fishing then I meet my 2sisters in Anchorage for 10 days. Driving around in a hire car. We go to Denali NP ,Valdez cruise around Prince William Sound Ferry across to Whittier then to Homer. Fly across Cook Inlet to Silver Salmon Creek Lodge for Bear viewing back to Seward then back to Anchorage for the flight home. Want to come I am counting the sleeps.

Jealous!  Have a fabulous time  Smiley Happy 

trousers

Thanks Deanna.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now