Highlighted
Cortic
Level 2: Rookie

Prepaid elite wifi modem able to connect via usb?

Answered
Hey everyone I just purchased the $99 elite wifi prepaid modem and it only dawned on me when I got home that I might not be able to use it with my pc as I have no wifi on the pc (I was relying on using the usb connection). So before I register the device am I actually able to use the usb as a connection type or must it be wifi only?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Prepaid elite wifi modem able to connect via usb?

from here http://www.zte.com.au/telstra/MF60.htm note is states 'This device is NOT a tethered modem' which in simple terms means it does not work as a modem via USB, unless you have another model of modem (please clarify the model number if it's not the MF60)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13

they are Wi-Fi only for internet access
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pikey18
Level 6: Bloodhound

If you need it on multiple computers just get a USB WiFi Adaptor for the computer that doesn't have wireless. They can be found cheap on ebay 

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1311&_nkw=wireless+n+usb&_sacat=See-...

Cortic

I just spoke with Chester from the bigpond mobile broadband team and he assured me that it can be used via usb but when it is connected the wifi function is disabled and for me to use the wifi it must be disconnected from the pc.
Accepted Solution

from here http://www.zte.com.au/telstra/MF60.htm note is states 'This device is NOT a tethered modem' which in simple terms means it does not work as a modem via USB, unless you have another model of modem (please clarify the model number if it's not the MF60)

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@Cortic wrote:
I just spoke with Chester from the bigpond mobile broadband team and he assured me that it can be used via usb but when it is connected the wifi function is disabled and for me to use the wifi it must be disconnected from the pc.

Bigpond MBB is different from Pre-Paid i'm afriad. This specific device is Wi-Fi Only.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Cortic

Yeah its the MF60. I did tell the representative that over the phone and he was adament it would work. Another case of Telstra giving false information and/or bad training I guess. Lucky I posted here before registering it otherwise I would have been unable to return the **bleep** thing.

Should just shut all the call centres down and run all support through these forums.

@Cortic wrote:

Yeah its the MF60. I did tell the representative that over the phone and he was adament it would work. Another case of Telstra giving false information and/or bad training I guess. Lucky I posted here before registering it otherwise I would have been unable to return the **bleep** thing.

Should just shut all the call centres down and run all support through these forums.

if you need that type of device the Hauwei E585v2 supports NextG frequencies and is an excellent device, works via USB and Wi-Fi, Vodafone sell it prepaid and it can be unlocked quite cheaply, worth a look

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@Cortic wrote:

You asked a Bigpond Trained consultant about a PrePaid Mobile Broadband Device (2 very different products). I can understand how they may have gotten it wrong on this occasion.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

I agree with what you're saying, the Bigpond version of the Elite Wi-Fi modem also does not support this function though, so I hope the rep wasn't basing his advice on the Bigpond version, perhaps as he wasn't familiar with the exact version being used he was confused, hope so anyway
geotech
Level 1: Cadet

roady02

Way too late for Cortic but for anyone else needing to know, I just tethered a MF60 with the USB and it worked great. Its 6th of March 2014 as it will say at the top of my post.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

hi Roady02

Welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy

Thanks for letting us know you have found a solution, you may find that you may be asked at some stage to explain what you did. 

-   Lindy Smiley Happy 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

MiguelGF

Could you please tell us how?

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now