CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
sas
Level 2: Rookie

Public IP address

I want a public IP address for my Turbo Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband device.

I get the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx but as I understand it this is a telstra subnet.  I need to be able to access my device remotely, and hence need to know its public IP address.

Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Public IP address

you may be able to get access if it's a business/corporate account to the APN required to get a real public IP, otherwise you can only have a WAN IP like you have now, there are other ways around this depend on what you're trying to achieve, more detail would be needed though
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@sas wrote:

I want a public IP address for my Turbo Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband device.

I get the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx but as I understand it this is a telstra subnet.  I need to be able to access my device remotely, and hence need to know its public IP address.

Thanks

External IP addresses are not provided for Pre-Paid or Telstra Consumer Mobile services. There used to be a way to add this, however this has now been removed.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

sas

What my goal is:

I have a PLC that has web pages on it that I want to access remotely.  the unit is designed to do this, and has specific settings to allow it.

I have connected the PLC to a wireless router that runs the 3G Turbo stick.

When I connect my laptop to that wireless router, and connect to the internet, then type in the IP address that the router says is its internet connection the process works fine.  (i.e. the port forwarding is all good).

(It also works if I type in the actual PLC ip address - behind the router.)

When I go off that router and to the wider interent.  (i.e. the browser on my Optus mobile, or my collegues Telstra mobile, then the browser cannot resolve the IP address.

Now I am not an expert in this stuff at all, but I have been around long enough to know that networs starting with 10.xxx are usually "subnets".

This view seems to have been confirmed by many comments by Telstra and on the forums in general.

Is it possible to "Tunnel" through to that device?   (on a PC is fine, we just tried the mobiles on site because they were not connected to that router).

My whole goal here is to save me a 2 hour round trip to see if the machine is working properly or not.

Please help!

does the router have a dynamic DNS client built in?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sas

and have you tried this?

sas

What do you mean?

Yes I set it up with the turbo 3G stick on site, and connected it to the PLC.  I then set up the port forwarding according to the PLC instructions.  

When I connect to the router using WiFi I can see the PLC inside the subnet.  192.168.x.x, and I know the IP address of the router 10.xxx.xxx.xxx, when I go to a web page say google, or www.bom.gov.au all is fine, and it works well.  When I type in the IP address of the router 10.xxx.xxx.xxx it comes up with the pages that have been set up and I have full remote monitoring capabilities.

If I try to connect to the IP address 10.xxx.xxx.xxx from outside of that router, I cannot get access to the unit. I was suspicious about the 10.xxx IP address, as these are normally the kind of IP address that you set up behind a router.  When I did a fair bit of reading on the interent I realised that the 3G does not have an external IP address.

The whole system is designed to allow remote monitoring and the only thing that is stopping me doing it is being able to actually get to the device from outside.

Thanks for your help

sas

Dynamic DNS http://dyn.com/dns/ allows you to get to the device from the wider internet, you don't have a static IP address so this is really the most practical way to be be able to find your device from the outside world, there are other similar services also
sas

Thanks,

I will try this... it will take some time because I have to go to the site.

When I tried previously the router wouldn't let me confirm the address, this is probably an ASUS problem.  I am posting in their forums now...

heavyt
Level 1: Cadet

hey mate, its not a asus problem or a dyndns

Telstra have nat with their mobile broadband, which means you are not getting a public ip address.   optus and vodaphone are the same.

karloska
Level 3: Gumshoe

So whats the solution here?

Surely there must be loads of customers from the hundreds of thousands of consumers using mobile broadband who need a public ip!???

I mean there are tonnes of reasons to need one...

Ben_F

@karloska wrote:

So whats the solution here?

Public IP addresses are not offered for SMB/Residential Mobile Broadband Services.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

karloska

thanks for the reply.

Surely there must be loads of customers from the hundreds of thousands of consumers using mobile broadband who need a public ip!???

I mean there are thousands or reasons for needing a public IP. Do you know the reasoning?

Ben_F

@karloska wrote:

I mean there are thousands or reasons for needing a public IP. Do you know the reasoning?

Just like there are likely thousands of people who "need" access to the Qantas Chairman's Lounge when they fly, however its not availble to anyone except those who are high value customers.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

karloska

Are you serious?

With that post count surely you understand the reason for a public IP?

This is not a "need" as you say... like a bloody lounge... its a vital part of using the internet for business.

I have bought 2 prepaid 4g devices for a one off event for a business. I need remote access via a public IP. A pretty simple solution is 4g prepaid? LOL

So I can't use any mobile product in this manor from Telstra unless I am a corporate customer and you think this is a high value request? bizarre..

Ben_F

@karloska wrote:

With that post count surely you understand the reason for a public IP?

I can understand there are several reasons why consumers and businesses may wanta Public IP address. 

karloska wrote: 

This is not a "need" as you say... like a bloody lounge... its a vital part of using the internet for business.

I have bought 2 prepaid 4g devices for a one off event for a business. I need remote access via a public IP. A pretty simple solution is 4g prepaid? LOL

I need to be able to conduct business away from prying eyes and while on the move. I also need access to the internet, and to be away from Joe Public for my own comfort. Therefore, I need access to (at a minimum) the Qantas Club, which I pay a somewhat substancial amount for.

You made the decision that Pre-Paid 4G was the solution without any marketing from Telstra to indicate you would be able to get a Public IP address.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

karloska

LOL thanks for all the help

sas

I ended up going with a different carrier that allowed me to do that.  Not sure why Telstra thinks it is so special.  Perhaps try a carrier like tango papa golf or similar.

karloska

Thank you sir, I shall do exactly that.

It's a bs decision to control users so much when it impedes productivity.

Ben_F

I agree with sas on the point of going with someone who can offer you what you want. Telstra offer 4G, which is more important to me then a public IP address. Telstra isn't going to meet everyone's needs and it obviously doesn't meet yours.

New Users - Click Here!

karloska

@Ben_F wrote:
I agree with sas on the point of going with someone who can offer you what you want. Telstra offer 4G, which is more important to me then a public IP address. Telstra isn't going to meet everyone's needs and it obviously doesn't meet yours.

You appear to be attempting to support a commercial decision by Telstra. Perhaps that time is better spent showing us the reasons behind this decision.

The community have security cameras and game servers and baby cams and vpn's and a thousand other web aps where a public IP is a must, charge for it if you will but the current decision is weak.

When the 4g mobile broadband pre paid activation go's through to the prepaid website there is a profile and account setting related to that service number and device under the account you signup with.

An ISP into customer service might provide this very simple option here. Perhaps only to ABN holders

Telstra isn't going to meet everyone's needs and it obviously doesn't meet yours.

I have 2 other next g sims which HAVE HAD the extranet apn attached. Legacy accounts as you mentioned.  A few years ago. So right up until this thread the needs had been met.....

Ben_F

@karloska wrote:

You appear to be attempting to support a commercial decision by Telstra. Perhaps that time is better spent showing us the reasons behind this decision.

No, what I'm supporting is the right for a business to offer the products and services that it wants to offer. As a fellow customer, and one Telstra doesn't like very much, its not in my interests to support any decision of Telstra's unless I agree with it personally, which as I've mentioned I don't really care about (4G is more important to me then a Public IP address).

karloska wrote: 

The community have security cameras and game servers and baby cams and vpn's and a thousand other web aps where a public IP is a must, charge for it if you will but the current decision is weak.

And specific members of the community can acquire a Bigpond Mobile Broadband service which provides users with a Public IP address currently. Whilst this is not advertised, I assume this will continue to be something available to consumers as the changes would likely be costly. You are able to cancel the service when it is not required, and pay a cancellation fee (no more then $360) which means that you can achevie your desired outcome (paying a premium to receive a product you want).

karloska wrote: 

Telstra isn't going to meet everyone's needs and it obviously doesn't meet yours.

I have 2 other next g sims which HAVE HAD the extranet apn attached. Legacy accounts as you mentioned.  A few years ago. So right up until this thread the needs had been met.....

Correct, which was against Telstra's business rules at the time and which for the most part was unchecked. With the move to the "Strategic" platform (AKA Siebel, which is the front end of the Strategic platform), many of Telstra's business rules are now enforced at a system level. Pre-Paid services are now hosted in Strategic, as are Consumer services with a 13 digit account number.

If you have the relevant codes, thats great, but until Telstra explicity makes it an obligation under the service contract you have with them or advertises to that effect, there is no point in expecting it (and anyone who does will be left dissapointed).

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now