sailingpages2
Level 1: Cadet

Public IP on Telstra Mobile Broadband

Hi, I have been on a Bigpond Mobile Broadband plan with a Public IP address since 2008, and was able to remotely access my home using Dynamic DNS and port-forwarding to monitor/use some systems while away (solar power, NAS, cameras etc.).

However, I became unable to change my plan online through MyBigpond as it would appear this service was being shut down.  I was instructed that I had to move across to a Telstra Mobile Broadband Plan and would require a new SIM.  I was NOT told, or aware that I would no longer have a publicy accessible/routeable IP address on the new SIM.  As such, I can no longer access anything remotely.  If I had known this would happen, I wouldn't have changed over.

I am aware that all that is needed is to use the APN "telstra.extranet" and to have the MICA Code for this added to my account, however I am told by Telstra Business Support that this can ONLY be applied to a business account.  Has this been the experience lately for anyone else?

As a long-term customer of Bigpond/Telstra, I am very disappointed to be shifted to a service that loses some function that I required, with no option to resolve it.

Geoff

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Public IP on Telstra Mobile Broadband

Use a service such as no-ip which should allow you to use the dynamic ip as a static host name
sailingpages2

Thanks for the suggestion GlennL, but I already use a Dynamic DNS service (DynDNS).

The issue is that since the changeover, my modem no longer has an internet-routable, public range IP address for Dynamic DNS to point to.  On the public side of my 3G/4G modem connected to telstra.internet, I am now assigned a private IP address 10.x.x.x, which must NAT through another upstream gateway in the Telstra network.  Dynamic DNS doesn't work as it only reports the upstream Telstra Gateway IP (i.e. 1.132.96.34) and not my router.

Bigpond Mobile Broadband used to assign me a public range IP address, for example 124.x.x.x, 60.231.x.x., or 58.x.x.x.  

A Telstra Business Mobile Broadband Plan has the option to request data codes to use the telstra.extranet APN (and hence obtain an internet routeable IP address), but I am interested to hear whether anyone has been permitted by Telstra to obtain this for a personal mobile broadband plan in recent times?

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@sailingpages2

Given the dwindling IP Ranges available to us, the use of Extranet products have been limited to business mobile services only.
I can tell you that if the service is on a personal "residential" account, it will not be possible to provide this to you.

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Compi

Hi

What if I am a business, but are supplying products that needs Mobile remote access to clients. The SIM card the client buys will be over the counter...it could be a farmer wanting to remotely access his pumping station.

How does Telstra then provide remote access to the webserver on the local machine if a Public IP address is not an option?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Compi

You might be a business that has a business connection with Telstra, however it sounds like your client is not.

Your client would need to set up and activate a Business Service in order to be able to activate an Extranet Product (if a remote data connection is required) or mobile data numbers (if the device used is a telemetry device only (ie, you can dial into service, similar to a dial up modem) and even M2M (Machine 2 Machine) services.

All of these services are Business services and are not available to consumer or personal plan packages. Some of these services require an Account Managed Service and can only be applied for via a Telstra Account Executive.

Please note that with data number services, 2G data numbers are no longer available with the closure of our 2G network.

Business Data SIM Plans can be found here

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more