CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
dunttt
Level 1: Cadet

Slow 4G, via Netgear AirCard 782S

Just went and got ourselves a 4g plan, along with the Netgear Aircard 782S.

With 4 or 5 bars reception, speedtest.net returns a result of ~4Mbps Down, ~5Mbps Up.

Device shows it's connected to '4G'.

I put my iPhone5 in exact same location as the modem is sitting, and run speedtest.

Results ~50Mbps Down, 20Mbps Up.

Anyone know why this could be happening ?  The speed results on the 4G modem are only reached towards the end of the test too.  Most way through, it hovers just under 1Mbps.  

I've tried resetting device, tethering to it and testing, and have used multiple different wifi cards (both internal and usb).

When I turn on my phone's hotspot, and connect to it, speedtests are similar to that of the mobile results.... so the wifi cards aren't the cause here either.

Any suggestions here would be much appreciated, because as it is now, this 4g modem plan is completely useless.  Just one example, Youtube, can't load even low quality short clips, without waiting for atleast 5 minutes. :s

Thx

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
29 REPLIES 29
dunttt

Re: Slow 4G, via Netgear AirCard 782S

Adding to the issue...

Usage meter is showing 8.8GB used, of the 8GB quota.

Usage cycle is shown as a 7 day period only.... not 30 days.  :/

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Dunttt,

As this is the first billing period it may be pro-rated to align with your other Telstra bills.

What speed do you get when you connect to the 4G Advanced via the USB cable provided or tether your computer to the iPhone via cable?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

wheatbelt

Been experiencing the same issues for about 3 weeks. Pathectic. Probably just dump telstra and go to optus, new tower down the road. Everyone else has. Other business people in my area are having the same issues with this service, they are also thinking along those lines. Site visits by techs cant resolve it. Pings and trace routes timeout before they get any where. 

a-shot_on_ehlo

Having this exact problem.

HTC One 4g phone with telstra gets 40mb download and about 10mb up.

Netgear 4g advanced wifi around 5mb download, but strangley manages up to 9 or 10 mb upload??? Almost like its 3g down and 4g up!

Have it docked in the netgear cradle and the speed through a cpu via the ethernet connection is the same as over wifi.

Have 4 or 5 bars of 4g coverage.

CB1979

Same here, had it 3 weeks now with no resolution.  Location has good 4g coverage, reception on modem is good.  Purchased cradle with patch lead hoping that would help, = $100 wasted.  D/L speeds avg 1 to 500 kbps.  Constantly drops out, really dont understand :-(.   On a 4gb plan with minimal usage (most of what i do use is speed tests).  Having to use a friends pc to post this and research possible causes.  On a 24 month contract, surely such a poor service would make this contract void?

karana

bought one 5 days ago, similar problems.

very slow and high usage recorded by Telstra. Improved by cradle.

from speedtest.net, ethernet speed up to 35 Mbps. Wifi around 14. (5 before cradle).

from netstress, netbook to netbook wifi speed around 5Mbps. Netbook to netbook wifi speed through iiNet wifi hub around 20Mbps.

Conclusion ... 8011/n wifi in 782S isn't working as advertised.

Usage recorded by Telstra approached 1Gb with only usage speed tests.

A bit more testing in a different location then back to Telstra.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi karana

That isn't good to hear. 

Please let us know how you go with the rest of your tests and we'll follow up where required to assist further.

-Matt W

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

LaurieH
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hi Matt

My post on this similar thread is the last one there:

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Mobile-Broadband-3G-4G/4G-WiFi-Broadband-inaccurate-usage/td-p...

No one from Telstra seems able to resolve this over-usage of data issue, either. It is very distressing for 4G users, especially when it is not a user's fault. 

High data usage and slow speeds seem to indicate an unusual amount of data checking and re-sending of data, one could assume at low 3G/4G signal levels.
If wifi also has a lot of data error checking (similar to 3G/4G) perhaps that is the issue with low-powered wifi....?
What if the internal wifi aerial(s) or cable(s) is (are) faulty (ie = low tx & rx levels)?
Are all the wifi channels  in this device universal? (in other words not trying to use American wifi configs)

Cheers

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi LaurieH,

Thanks for the feedback. It seems like this may be the case. However we will need to investigate the issue to see what is causing the increase of data. Have you had this investigated by us at all?

-Matt W

Wombo

I've recently acquired a 782S and compared to my other devices this one has been an extremely poor experience all round

Generally slow 4G speeds, e.g. at home max 32Mbps.......beside a 320U happily & regularly doing around 68Mbps.

Wifi randomly won't properly connect and no data flow, switching across to 760S, Huawei devices or Billion router all work reliably first time every time, back to 782S and still dead until power cycled.

It took Netgear 4 weeks to accept that my IMEI number did in fact exist and was correct, and finally provide Telstra with the MEP code.

And now the 782S hub has arrived........with the ethernet port as dead as a dodo.

I think the transition from the legendary quality of Sierra Wireless to Netgear has not gone well.

lenz

hi there,

just adding my two cents.. I did not do speed tests unfortunaley but I remember fast downloads but also extreme slow performance at times at the same location which reminded of the 56K modem as I could not even display some webpages. Sometimes resetting the device helped sometimes it did not.

now the over-usage was the real killer. I had the 782S for 4 months and only had had issues. basically the devcie was consuming 117MB usually every second of data wether the device had so I would end up using 1 GB of data a day over 15 GB a month when  the quota was 8 GB without actually using the Internet. so of course I would end up getting monthly bills from $500 to $700 whilst the monthly fee for the Freedom plan was $56. so you can imagine the frustration, Telstra allowed more credit which translated into 7GB additonal GB of quota so that at least I could use some Internet.. but at the speed the usage was going even that did nto help since the issue was still on. they tried to replace the device and the sim card and same issue. After 4 months I got advice that I should lodge a complaint and have a technical ingineer 'investigate further" becuase basically no one had a clue as to the problem was, but obviously I could not continue like that.

what I find disconcerting is that  the cusotmer service agents, store sales people and billing agents did not seem to be aware of the issue which seems to be happening to vast majority, hence the time waste of having to re-explain the issue over and over. Luckily some smart people did update the information on my account number which seemed to have helped along the journey. dont they all use and share a central Knowledge database for known issues though ? I had to explain over and over that no I did not have many devices conencted to it and that no I there wa snot software/harware updates happening at the time which anyway if it was the case could in no way account account the huge usage.
Waht was very useful was for me to  request the detailed data usage which underpinned the issue. there clearly non stop usage even at times - with lots of downloads of 117MB size which drew my attention - when the device was turned off!

now to the credit of Telstra I have managed to get out the nightmarish plan which got cancelled without the termination fees of.... just over $400... The huge bills I was receiving all got cancelled too in the end. It was the right thing to do. they did try to get me on another "beneficial" plan like with Bigpond to keep me as a cusotmer and keep the plan money flowing in but at that point of time I was truly burnt and just wanted out. So from a commercial point of view, I still would consider Telstra as a potential supplier in the future as I genuinely think there has been no malicious dodginess happening here and I can only hope that they will rectify these kind of technical fails in the near future and prevent them from happening.

Still I spent lots of time and money on the phone and at least 3 trips to the Telstra store where I bought the hotspot device. I also feel misled the whole service and product not only did keep the promise made but simply did not work out.
I d rather less promises and even less "real" speed and more testing and upfront information than getting underwhelmed in terms of expectations. 

Hope my experience may assist someone out there.

Cheers

Lenz 

unhappyuser
Level 2: Rookie

I am a new user of the Telstra 4G netgear device.  Used to have a 3G device which worked fine until got new laptop and strangely stopped working.  Was advised at Telstra shop to get on a 1GB plan which includes the 4G device.  It takes sometimes half an hour to get a connection, sometimes a few minutes, sometimes drops out if not used for a few minutes. A new device being sent in mail to see if this fixes the problem but after reading messages, don't feel helpful.  Will be going for a release of new 2yr contract soon.  Fed up.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi unhappyuser,

That's not good to hear, as it looks like the device was at fault previously, Have you received the new device? are the issues ongoing

- Steve J

dysolve

Hi all, I am now on my second device in less than a month, the first device would just reboot itself constantly. I got my new one this week. it does not speed test as fast as my phone and even if it is showing 4 bars for 4g coverage data flow just stops and I have to reboot the device. It wifi acts like it connected and I can access the device bit all Web pages fail to load
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi dysolve,

That isn't good to hear.

Is this issue occurring in multiple locations? We need to try and identify if the device is at fault or if its a problem with the network in your location.

Do you have a 4g capable handset? If so, how does 4g perform on your handset?

-Matt W

dysolve

the 4g on the phone works fine if I turn off wifi. I just remembered that I also had to turn of the "use slow conections" option in android as it kept telling me the connection was being ignored .

the first unit I had never had any issue with data flow until it started rebooting.

dysolve

I turned of 5ghz and it is working fine now. Seems the 5ghz had a glitch or two. I test with my laptop and it had the same issues until 5ghz was turned of but if tethered via use I have no issues
SarahRees

I have the same issue dysolve. At one stage my computer could not connect to the device at all and now when it does all I get is the device page but no other we pages will load. The device has been reset but doesn't seemed to have helped. This has also occurred in multiple locations (home, work and friend's houses).
Support Team
Support Team

Hey SarahRees,

Welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy

That is not what we like to hear at all and if this is happening in multiple locations, then it may be the device that needs to be replaced to improve the connection you are receiving. This would have to be discussed with the Tech Team on either 133933 or via Live Chat at:

http://tel.st/gq6m

Both options are available 24/7 to assist you further. 

MalRob4655

Now I begin to understand the problems I am having:

- high data usage .... definitely seems far higher for the same network usage than previous wireless broadband connections I have had (I've never before gone anywhere near the 4GB allowance until this last month or so).

- Data usage meter stopped updating about 10 days ago.  Despite multiple power on/off, network disconnects, etc, it is stuck at a reading from days ago ... which resulted in a bill for extra data as I was not aware it had gone way over the 4GB allowance until too late.  Have now just done a complete reset and problem remains.

Seems this AirCard 782S is not to be relied on - very poor in this day and age of technology

Cuddleaddict

Well, it is with interest i read these comments about the AirCard. We have the old Sierra unit at work and it operates like a dream. I have had the unfortunate choice of having to go to wireless in my home because the wonderful telstra cannot supply me an ADSL port.  And no i am not living in the middle of the bush or an inaccessible site. Anyway back to the air card. It is HOPELESS. .  At the best it gets 2 bars. I bought the cradle to assist in the house. It is  not the signal that is an issue because my mobile is fine. It has started ( despite showing as being on and with signal on its screen) not being available to be found on my devices.  I power it off and then it becomes locatable again. The screen showed 18 days still on monthly usage when in fact it was down  to 2 days. We were on our computers last night and it totally fell out of connection. SERIOUSLY!!  I would hope Telstra is realizing that they have made a bad choice with these wireless devices and go back to Sierra. I would hope they would recognize this and re-issue new devices to all those people suffering with a disaster of internet availability due to such a poorly developed and tested device. The only positive for me.. and i mean this in the nicest way, is that i am not alone. I thought it was just me and i was doing something wrong with the device.

WesleyPaul

I have been experiencing all these difficulties that have been reported and have had one 782s replaced though being faulty. I live in Wentworth Falls ( far side of the moon so had to install a dual yagi external antanna) yet still within range of the 4g tower, I get 3-4 bars showing on the device. (Sounds good dosent it?) yet i have been experiencing these slow connections so i used speedtest.net and come up with these reading 27ms, download= 7.81mbps, upload= 0.07mbps. Some may argue that in a regional area this is what you can expect, except I have a Telstra USB 4g pay as you go modem. I ran the same speedtest within 30 seconds of the other and got this reading, download=15mbps upload=21.76mbps and a ping of 18ms. So really! is the netgear 782s the giant killer Telstra make it out to be when it is outclassed by their own $60 4g USB dongle?

WesleyPaul

I experienced very simular usage spikes and Telstra Techy gladly admitted the device was faulty and immediatly replaced the unit, very grateful i was too. When it came to fixing the usage figures I might as well been talking to Optus they might have done something. I had usage spike varying from 1700mbs to 8gig in the one week ,it reported one day twice clearly seen on the page. I got the download rubbish You got and unknown devices blah, blah. Well I have been using, building networks and computers sinc 1989 an a gamer and have to restrict my gaming to 2-300mbs a night to make my 26gig monthly account last, so when you see a continiuus daily usage of 2-300mbs for more than 6mnths then suddenly jump to 8gig then back to normal usage you think there was something wrong, well it seems it was all my fault and I had to foot the bill. I left out the fact that the device is extremely slower than advertised.

TeKoru
Level 2: Rookie

Hi All,

Add me to the list of 782S enemies.

I live out the back of Mudgee and use a Yagi aerial to get 3 bars.

I have had a fine run with an old telstra turbo usb dongle but my huge data spikes started 6 months ago when I signed a new contract and got the 782S.

Have talked to the Phillipines 6 times and just go round in circles?

The local Telstra stoe is going to give me a new device to try so lets see what happens.

Has anyone tried to go down the route of tracking usage - data monitoring etc?

Kiwigreen

AngryMalcolm46

Re tracking data usage, yes after 6 months of stupid data usage (including a 1.25GB spike in one hour at midnight - which Telstra can see on their tracking system) my 782S is back in repair yet again, but hopefully with an actual replacement this time (another 2 weeks wait !!).

What frightens me is that the replacement device will probably have exactly the same issues - seems to be VERY common with what appears to be a basically faulty piece of hardware. No wonder Telstra is trialling the 79X version for release in the next few months and no local shops are stocking 782S devices any longer !!  Tells one something doesn't it!

In any case, to make sure, I downloaded some free software    GLASSWIRE

it's brilliant and records absolutely every detail of traffic not only external but also internal to your laptop/computer - highly recommend it!

I am temporarily using a loan device (a Telstra MF910 4G modem) - no sign in 2 days of any strange usage spikes !!

Telstra should sue Netgear and compensate all we poor long-suffering WiFi users of the 782S

Jeffson
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Hello, 

You need setup the APN for the network access through Netgear Aircard 782s, did you do that?

Just share my life, my knowledge..
rmb3218

I am also getting slow 4g on my 782s. Have run speedtest on iPhone on 4g and iPad connected via 782s and getting approx. 1/2 the speed. 

Kevin

Jeffson
Level 5: Eagle Eye

I suppose an external antenna for Netgear aircard 782s is necessary now. 

Just share my life, my knowledge..
HarryDutch

I have given up on Telstra, their modem a Netgear AirCard 782S has been rebooting every 5 seconds today. The Telstra service status for my suburb reports that some 4G Mobile customers may experience difficulties using data services for the next 2 weeks. This has been the same for the last 2 months. I have been running in parallel a 4G Virgin Mobile Modem and it never missed a beat. Its $20 cheaper per month and I get 4GB per month more. I ended up cancelling my account with Telstra today. I did buy a year ago the Netgear Antenna ($90+) and there was no improvement compared to the performance of the 4G Virgin Mobile Pocket Modem.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now