CrowdSupport®
gwmbox
Level 13: Super Sleuth

So what is the 'trigger' to have our local tower upgraded to the 21st century?

Unfortunately we still have a local tower that is still capped at 3.6mbps, with our download usually maxed at 1mbps on a good night but usually around the 600kbps, which is a very poor speed in todays Internet and tech driven world.

I wonder what it would take to have our tower upgraded (and those that connect to it to get to us) so we can join the 21st century, I know we are in a rural location but seriously towers still capped at 3.6mbps is appalling.

Thanks

Roll on the NBN!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: So what is the 'trigger' to have our local tower upgraded to the 21st century?

Hi gwmbox,

AFAIK, towers are upgraded in accordance with business need and cost vs benefit. However if there is someone from engineering on here who can clarify that, it would be awesome!

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Level 21: Augmented

Re: So what is the 'trigger' to have our local tower upgraded to the 21st century?

@gwmbox wrote:

Unfortunately we still have a local tower that is still capped at 3.6mbps, with our download usually maxed at 1mbps on a good night but usually around the 600kbps, which is a very poor speed in todays Internet and tech driven world.

from what you describe it sounds like the bigger issue is backhaul if you don't ever get better than 1mbps, supporting faster devices wouldn't offer any improvement if the real issue is backhaul

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Level 23: Superhero

I think it's going to be a simple matter of economics.

If the tower you are on doesn't have many regular users, this could mean that it's just not seen as economically viable to spend a lot of money upgrading the backhaul to the tower to provide a faster service.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
gwmbox

@Ben_F wrote:
Hi gwmbox,

..... snip

AFAIK, towers are upgraded in accordance with business need and cost vs benefit. However if there is someone from engineering on here who can clarify that, it would be awesome!

My request was made simply because as I said our tower is STILL capped at 3.6mbps, which as I stated is ridiculous in this day and time.  Imagine what people in metro areas would be screaming if they were restricted to that speed.  It is common to hear or read Telstra boasting proudly about how they provide a fast wireless servive, but what they continue to forget to tell people is that there are still many people stuck on the slowest tower speeds.

I know it is economics, I know it is related to usage, but that was why I asked what the trigger was, so then maybe I could canvas my community based on that trigger element to see if there is a local need for the greater speed,  Maybe I just need to do a petitiion locally and send that to Telstra.  

Though I did feel that it should simply be upgraded as part of the ongoing upgrading of towers.  I have heard how many have had their towers upgraded from 7.2 to 21 or from 21 to 42mbps, so I was merely thinking maybe those towers that were upgraded could be used to upgrade our tower from 3.6 to 7.2 or even (though I doubt it) 21mbps.  It is unfortunate however that Telstra continues to leave behind and forget about those in rural locations, delivering a second rate service that they tell no one about... and how Telstra keeps announcing how they provide the best and fastest mobile service which we all know in rural locations is very far from the truth.

GW

Roll on the NBN!
Level 23: Superhero

I understand, it sounds like you're hoping there would be something similar to the old demand register that used to be in place to help decide what exchanges would be upgraded to support ADSL services, but for Wireless upgrades. I say this because I think we both know it's unlikely Telstra would release such commercial decision-making information on a public forum.

With regards to being stuck on the slowest tower and you stating that Telstra has forgotten rural locations, I think it's important for you to point out what sort of speeds and coverage their competitors provide in your area? If I recall correctly, it's zero and none.

So while it may appear to you that you're being forgotten, they are the only ones who even thought of you in the first place, and even their slowest speeds are around what Optus & Vodafone state are their normal expected speeds (550kbps-3Mbps).

Also, when you say they tell no one about the slow speeds, their published coverage maps have a specific shading for 550kbps to 3Mbps, which suggests to me they are very open about where you'll get the 'slowest' speeds from their NextG network.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
gwmbox

After a fair bit of editing... at least the topic is back on topic.....

@Kalak wrote:
I understand, it sounds like you're hoping there would be something similar to the old demand register that used to be in place to help decide what exchanges would be upgraded to support ADSL services, but for Wireless upgrades. I say this because I think we both know it's unlikely Telstra would release such commercial decision-making information on a public forum.

Not asking for commercial information, I was merely and for what its worth, just curious as to what it takes to get a tower upgraded.  I am not the only one in our community that has asked this, it was even raised at a local council meeting and not by me.  Not sure if the Council have done anything but they did indicate a follow up with Telstra.

@Kalak wrote:
With regards to being stuck on the slowest tower and you stating that Telstra has forgotten rural locations, I think it's important for you to point out what sort of speeds and coverage their competitors provide in your area? If I recall correctly, it's zero and none.

That is correct, well at least it was, Optus have put up their new tower and we are waiting for the details about when it is live, the speed I am told is 21mbps.  I was simply wantiong to see if Telstra would consider matching it, as we have so many other services with them it would be better to stay with them.

So while it may appear to you that you're being forgotten, they are the only ones who even thought of you in the first place, and even their slowest speeds are around what Optus & Vodafone state are their normal expected speeds (550kbps-3Mbps).

As I said only ones up to now, I again was simply asking what it takes to have the tower updated, a simple question really.

Also, when you say they tell no one about the slow speeds, their published coverage maps have a specific shading for 550kbps to 3Mbps, which suggests to me they are very open about where you'll get the 'slowest' speeds from their NextG network.

Ah yes they have that in small print for those that go looking for it, but tell me how many adverts by Telstra have you seen about them having fast internet, better service and highest quality and then clearly say oh, if you are in a location where we (Telstra) are the only ones that service you, then your speed is only 550kbps to 3mbps.... the answer NONE, they only announce and advertise their FAST mobile broadband at speeds up to 42mbps.

Thanks

Roll on the NBN!
MartinMc
Level 9: Captain

My understanding from the engineering folk I spoke to about yoru area was that they upgraded the tower back in July to double its capacity via HSDPA+ Dual Channel. If you have an eHSPA+ 42Mbps [Dual Channel] capable device you should be seeing faster speeds. Robot surprised

What sort of broadband device do you have?

jonandemi
Level 6: Bloodhound

interesting, if what he says is correct and you do have hspa+ then you should get really fast internet. However if you do not have a Telstra Elite or Telstra Ultimate modem then you will never get good speeds from that tower.

Other things come into play. What distance are you from the tower, what objects (trees,hills, houses, walls) are in the way of you and the tower. Have you tried purchasing a 13db or greater external yagi antenna for your device? I have and i get 12mbps from a tower 22km away. Where normally i cannot even connect without the external antenna.

I plug the antenna using a patch cable from telstra.. into the usb modem external antenna socket and then plug the whole lot into a router  TP-link MF3420 to be specific and beam it around my house as a local wireless link.

Older modems = old world speeds.

Highlighted
gwmbox

@MartinMc wrote:

My understanding from the engineering folk I spoke to about yoru area was that they upgraded the tower back in July to double its capacity via HSDPA+ Dual Channel. If you have an eHSPA+ 42Mbps [Dual Channel] capable device you should be seeing faster speeds. Robot surprised

What sort of broadband device do you have?

Did not know this, so what device should we use, noting we have up to 5 hardwired PC's connected via a router that connects to the modem via wire and also have up to 5 wireless devices connecting to it also.

Cheers

Roll on the NBN!
MartinMc
Level 9: Captain

@gwmbox wrote:

....so what device should we use, noting we have up to 5 hardwired PC's connected via a router.... and also have up to 5 wireless devices connecting to it also.

OK, there is the issue. I didn't realise you were using the BigPond Gateway for your large home network as it isn't able to support the higher speeds levels. The device you have is approaching end-of-life and the plan is to replace it in the first half of 2012 with a gateway solution that will support the high-end 3G speeds (as well as 4G where available).

Whilst the Telstra Ultimate Gateway (http://www.telstrabusiness.com/business/portal/online/site/productsservices/mobilebroadbandgateways.... does support the higher speed, you would need to change to a Telstra Mobile Broadband plan instead of the BigPond Mobile Broadband on you are on. On this point, we are actively working to make our three Mobile Broadband product options (Telstra Pre-Paid, Telstra Mobile & BigPond) much simpler in 2012 to make it easier for customers to move between the products without having to change out devices.

Unfortunately gwmbox, because of the way we originally set up Mobile Broadband back in the day, I don't have an immediate answer to your needs (apart from cancelling BigPond and moving to the black Telstra Mobile Broadband Ultimate Gateway) but I have seen the new Gateway offering and it looks to be a much improved option with twin external aerials (that can be unscrewed and Yargi or other antenna options attached instead). Just going to have to wait until 2012 I'm sorry until the new device is in production.

MartinMc

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now