gdj86
Level 1: Cadet

Static IP Address

I am wondering if Telstra offer Static IP addresses on a Telstra Business Mobile Broadband Plan. 

I am looking to get the 60GB or 80GB plan and need to know this before going ahead. 

Thanks.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Static IP Address

Hi gd, unfortunately Static IP address's aren't available for Mobile broadband business services.

There may be a way to do what you're requesting but you can't get a Static IP address via Telstra mobile broadband services

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
BillyGareth
Level 2: Rookie

A public WAN IP address is available for Telstra Business Broadband services for $10 per month.

Ask you account manager to set it up for you. Then you need to change the profile on your 4G router to Custom APN and APN to telstra.extranet. Restart the router and it will connect with a static IP on the WAN side.

I have this working at a number of sites with Terminal services and remote access requirements

The only problem that I am finding is that while connecting to the Public IP from an ADSL and some most wireless services works great, trying to connect from other Telstra 4G devices fails. Working through this issue at present.

HTH, Billy

Dadee28
Level 6: Bloodhound

Agree with BillyGareth,

Anyway, once your get it activated just post what issue's your getting and lets get it sorted
If you think that I was able to help, hitting the kudos button is very much appreciated!
BillyGareth

Hi Dadee,

Was this sentence "Anyway, once your get it activated just post what issue's your getting and lets get it sorted" referring to the OPs question or my ref to issues with the Static IP?
Thanks,
Billy

AAC1

Re: Telstra 3G or 4G connection issues to APN Telstra.extranet

Hi,

I am currently setting up some remotely monitored equipment and as Telstra do not offer a static IP address on their mobile services I am using their public IP address service Telstra.extranet which seems to stay static on the WAN side until the cellular router is rebooted, this is not ideal however it is manageable. The main problem I am experiencing is not being able to connect to the router from a Telstra 3G or 4G service. I can connect to the router from a wifi connection, a adsl connection or a connection through any smartphone that is on Optus or Vodaphone networks but can't connect when using my IPhone 5s which is on the Telstra network. If anyone has experienced this problem before and found a solution I would love to know or even better if anyone knows of a more reliable way to provide an Internet connection to a remote location where only the Telstra network receives service.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

BillyGareth

Re: Telstra 3G or 4G connection issues to APN Telstra.extranet

Hi AAC1,

What you are experiencing is accurate and real but denied and unexplainable by Telstra. I had exactly the same issue with a country client whose office runs on a 4G modem and has a Server 2012 RDS on site that the remote staff connect to. Using Telstra 3G and 4G dongles RDS simply wouldn't connect. Using mobile devices with RDS apps or as hotpsots it usually wouldn't connect if on Telstra. On Telstra ADSL, Sat it worked. On any WIFI connection not using Telstra 3G or 4G as its carrier it connected fine. Strangely, my Toshiba tablet with a Telstra SIM card worked without a problem. Any devices using any connection type on other carriers worked fine.

I didn't even bother with normal tech support because as soon as I mentioned "Remote Desktop Connection" it was suggested that I just go and sit at the computer rather than trying to connect to it remotely...

I went through out Telstra business centre who had no idea apart from that it "should work". They did at least put me in contact with a Telstra national network manager (which they were not supposed to but at least they were trying to help). He also said that it "should work", didn't see any reason why it shouldn't and had no suggestions beyond that.

In the end I concluded that it must be a conflict between the "Extranet" IP trying to loop back to itself on the normal 4G network (putting simply). Maybe they could fix it or maybe not if it is a technical limitation.

I also setup a No-ip.com service http://www.noip.com/ to keep a constant connection to the Extranet IP. This has helped with regards to keeping a solid connection but not with the 3G/4G not playing nice.

What I have ended doing is using RDS over VPN which is a preferred solution anyway. The other one just had me frustrated as it appeared not to be working for no apparent reason.

For some strange reason VPN works fine. So external users simply connect a VPN then use an an LAN IP to connect to the RDS and everyone is happy. Been running like that now for almost 18 months.

I am not sure what you are trying to connect to or how so this solution may not suit you but the issue you are facing is real. I am also unaware of your skill level (though that fact that you are aware of the Extranet indicates more than basic) but I am assuming that you have port forwarding on on your router.

This also brings up another question. My client has one of the older 4G modem with the 4 Eth ports on the back that look and act like a normal ADSL modem except with a SIM card not an ADSL line.

If the device at the remote site is one of the dongle devices then port management may be a bit more of a challenge. I tend to avoid them as destination devices so I am not versed in their full capacity to port forward. I generally prefer to put the SIM in the likes of a Dovado or similar 4G Router that has confirmed compatibility with Telstra services. This gives much more control if you need to route incoming traffic to other devices on the network. I think Netgear also make one that works. You would need to do some research.

Again, without knowing more about your scenario I may not be being very helpful...

Maybe this has helped point you in the right direction though.

Billy

AAC1

Billy,
Thank you for this info. To answer some of your questions we are remotely monitoring and switching electrical equipment and we have a Robustel cellular router which is designed for this application and allows full control over all ports etc. I will see how it runs through a VPN set up.
FYI I actually had the system working today over a 4G connection from my IPhone 5s. I had this success after resetting the network settings on my phone however it only lasted 12 hours and fell over for no apparent reason and now it will not connect again. I am in the process of talking to telstra to find out if any settings on my phone service were different during this time at their end. I will keep you posted on the outcome. For what it's worth it worked perfectly for the 12 hours it was working.
Thanks again for your input.
Gavin
AAC1

Billy,
Out of curiosity what model is your Toshiba tablet?
Gavin
BillyGareth

Actually now that you mention it I do recall this ability to connect sometimes but not others was also in the mix somewhere. Consistent with what you have experienced.

Tablet is a Toshiba Z10T with Telstra SIM card.

Keen to hear what you come up with.

Billy

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now