CrowdSupport®
ashr
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra 3G USB (E353T) - Cannot detect SIM card

Answered

Hi, I've just bought a pre-paid 3G USB for a new laptop running Windows 8. 

The connection manager loads just fine, but then it says it 'Cannot detect SIM card'.

But the USB (with the same SIM) works fine on my older laptop running Windows Vista (in the same physical location), so there is no issue with the SIM or USB.  I have made sure the same options are listed in connection manager under Tools/Options.  The SIM password was all I had to update.

I removed the USB and reinserted it a number of times, and un-installed and reinstalled the connection manager a number of times (shutting down and restarting numerous times).  I also un-installed the virus protection software just in case that was causing any issues, but no luck.

I assume there are some settings in Windows 8 that need to be changed or maybe a compatibility issue with the USB software (I also tried the latest file software on the link below but it made no difference:

http://www.telstra.com.au/internet/mobile-broadband/prepaid/support-updates/

Please help, I have run out of options.....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
ashr
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra 3G USB (E353T) - Cannot detect SIM card

Hi, Don't worry replying to this now. I contacted Telstra Technical Support and I was advised that I was using an old SIM which they have found creates issues with newer USBs and Windows 8 (apparently this has been a common problem). I have switched to a new SIM and it all seems good now.

Cheers

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
ashr
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra 3G USB (E353T) - Cannot detect SIM card

Hi, Don't worry replying to this now. I contacted Telstra Technical Support and I was advised that I was using an old SIM which they have found creates issues with newer USBs and Windows 8 (apparently this has been a common problem). I have switched to a new SIM and it all seems good now.

Cheers

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now