CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
soopahman
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra Elite 3G Mobile Broadband Device - Overheating?

Answered

My Telstra Elite seems to repeatedly overheat. After using it for about 4-6 hours, it just stops working. I'll find that every page fails to load with a connection error for 5-30 minutes. Then I'll get a brief 10-20 seconds where it works, and then dead again. The device is very hot to the touch when this occurs.

I'm worried this might be a problem with all Telstra Elite devices and not something one can solve.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Elite 3G Mobile Broadband Device - Overheating?

Not prepaid specifically, but you can use a prepaid sim in the Telstra Mobile Broadband (TMB) version of the device when you buy it outright. Make sure you aren't sold the Bigpond version as well, still not really an issue but it just needs more configuring as compared to the TMB version.TMB will work straight off the standard installation with the prepaid sim without any special tinkering.

TMB version is retailing @ $299 outright at the moment, so a little bit more of an outlay as I hinted at earlier but a far superior device. I would still edge towards the Netcomm devices though if you're still looking at that 'always on' solution.

Josh | Tech Expert |
Need additional help? Book a Telstra Tech Bar appointment.

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra
soopahman
Accepted Solution

Just so future people having the same problem have all the answers, the issue appears to be mixed.

While the device clearly performs poorly when hot, that alone does not appear to be the issue. If you login to the device (at 192.168.0.1, user/pass admin/admin), and click Internet Connection Settings, you can then check Manual, disconnect, then Connect, and it will solve connectivity issues, even when the device is hot and running slowly. It would seem the radio just screws up periodically, and resetting the connection solves things.

It is slower when hot, but workable.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
soopahman

Level 21: Augmented

they don't last that long so I take it you're leaving it on power all the time?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
soopahman

Yes, using it like I would a home router - it's sold as being able to connect 5 devices; I'm connecting just the one, but using it throughout the day.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Chris,

These types of devices are definately suited more to sessional use rather than an 'always connected' status like an ADSL or Cable router. They rely mainly on natural heat dispersion off the surface of the device rather than the use of heat sinks and venting that a standard modem would and thus over such prolonged periods of use may get quite hot. Helping the device to cool itself may help prolong the length of your sessions though (eg- mini fan blowing on it).

hope that's some help Smiley Happy

Josh | Tech Expert |

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra

@JCKH wrote:

Hi Chris,

These types of devices are definately suited more to sessional use rather than an 'always connected' status like an ADSL or Cable router. They rely mainly on natural heat dispersion off the surface of the device rather than the use of heat sinks and venting that a standard modem would and thus over such prolonged periods of use may get quite hot. Helping the device to cool itself may help prolong the length of your sessions though (eg- mini fan blowing on it).

hope that's some help Smiley Happy

the added heat from it being constantly on charge wouldn't be helping at all either, not really the device of choice for this application but it might help to just use it on battery power and only plug it back in to charge when needed

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
soopahman

Thanks for your honesty JCKH. Sounds like these have a general overheating issue. It would be nice if that honesty was on the product description in stores! I purchased this in place of home wifi as I'm on holiday for a month and all the wifi installs take weeks with months of commitment. I would have chosen a different alternative had I known.

Sticking it in the freezer it is.

don't think you need to resort to freezing it, just stop charging it constantly would probably do, the battery generates a lot of heat when being charged
soopahman

Well as technicalities go, the battery also generates heat when discharging; the primary source of heat, and primary issue, is the CPU itself, which is clearly seated in the center of the device, opposite the battery, just under the LCD readout. After hours of use the plastic over it gets so hot it's painful to the touch and this flaky behavior arises. Having worked with a lot of computer components, that's around 50/55C that the plastic is likely exhibiting, meaning the underlying chip (depending on how it adheres to the casing) is likely around 80C, the breaking point for most chips these days.

Those temps are relevant because it's hard to get an LiIon battery up anywhere near that temperature, and removing the casing and touching the battery itself when these problems arise reveal that it's warm to the touch if it's warm at all - nowhere near the temps of the CPU. For argument's sake, if the LiIon is sitting at a warm 30C and the CPU at 80C, the CPU is heating the battery and the battery is cooling the CPU at a 50C difference. It would be like placing -10C ice up against a 40C object as a point of comparison in terms of thermal transfer.

A heatspreader on the chip (like for example the Macbook Air's aluminum casing) instead of a plastic casing, or even just ventilation, would likely prevent this issue.

I'm going to take it in anyway just in case I got an unusually flaky one - hopefully the replacement is at least a little more reliable.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Just be aware that if you are planning to use the device for more than an 2-3 hours at a time you may find the issue reoccuring, they aren't built around being a permanent 'always on' solution for internet. If the overheating was occurring within the first hour of use I would agree, you may have a bit of a flaky one on your hands but, for the timeframes you've specified (4-6 hours) I would expect that particular device to heat up. If I am correct in assuming it is for primary use around home/office and not for mobility I would recommend looking at either of these products as an alternative. Bit more of an outlay, they can be configured to work with prepaid, and are developed to be an always on solution (and probably get better speeds, especially with the ultimate device!):

http://www.netcomm.com.au/netcomm-products/telstra/3g21wt

http://www.netcomm.com.au/netcomm-products/telstra/3g42wt

These are primarily marketed as business devices but can be bought outright and will generally just work with your prepaid sim straight up. Recharging is still done through the myprepaid.telstra.com website as per a standard prepaid device.

Bit of food for thought if the replacement still gives you grief Smiley Happy

Josh | Tech Expert |

soopahman

Thanks Josh, you've been very helpful. Do you know if those devices are available at Telstra stores? Harvey Norman? Just trying to keep things quick since I'm just here the month!

Unfortunately the device is flaking out even faster today - within the first 10 minutes (I'm posting this from my Telstra phone sitting right next to it which is performing fine). So I must have a lemon, but I'm happy to look at either of those devices if it resolves the issue.

I'm in Sydney; I know Telstra is testing their 4G network here and I'm in the radius - is there a device like these that handles 4G?

Thanks!
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

We only have one specific 4G device currently on the market and thats the Sierra Wireless AC320U usb modem. Unfortunately suitable only for direct USB connection The ultimate series of devices though will give you improved speeds over the Elite series.

Stock availability of the devices I listed would vary from store to store and not all stores will carry them as they are primarily business orientated. I could suggest if you're in the city area to check out the Sydney Icon store (Shop 1, 327-329 George Street.) pretty sure george st is the Icon Store, but that would be your best bet i reckon.

Josh | Tech Expert |

soopahman

Thanks. USB might be OK; I can use internet connection sharing from a laptop if I need to connect more devices. But is that USB 4G device available on prepaid?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Not prepaid specifically, but you can use a prepaid sim in the Telstra Mobile Broadband (TMB) version of the device when you buy it outright. Make sure you aren't sold the Bigpond version as well, still not really an issue but it just needs more configuring as compared to the TMB version.TMB will work straight off the standard installation with the prepaid sim without any special tinkering.

TMB version is retailing @ $299 outright at the moment, so a little bit more of an outlay as I hinted at earlier but a far superior device. I would still edge towards the Netcomm devices though if you're still looking at that 'always on' solution.

Josh | Tech Expert |

soopahman

Perfect, thanks for all your help. Impressed with the level of service in this forum!
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

always a pleasure Smiley Happy
Josh | Tech Expert |

soopahman
Accepted Solution

Just so future people having the same problem have all the answers, the issue appears to be mixed.

While the device clearly performs poorly when hot, that alone does not appear to be the issue. If you login to the device (at 192.168.0.1, user/pass admin/admin), and click Internet Connection Settings, you can then check Manual, disconnect, then Connect, and it will solve connectivity issues, even when the device is hot and running slowly. It would seem the radio just screws up periodically, and resetting the connection solves things.

It is slower when hot, but workable.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now