CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
colin5
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra USB and Windows 10 Incompatibility

I was given the link below by the Telstra chat line last night to solve the incompatibility problem between my old "Bigpond Ultimate Wireless Broadband USB Modem" and Windows 10 on my new laptop.

But the link brings nothing up . Any ideas???

https://go.in.telstra.com.au/bpts/-/windows-10-mobile-broadband-connection-clientinformation-

and-support

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra USB and Windows 10 Incompatibility

It would appear that it is an internal link...
...like internal as only for Telstra staff, meaning that I believe that likely they are meant to open it and use the information to help rather than send it to you... but i could be wrong...

Was it the Tech Support team you were chatting with?
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Rohan123
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Hi Colin,

I Heard this is a known issue

people i know have received a letter from telstra letting them know of the incompatibility issues associated with with your telstra usb and win 10 and how to fix it. 

are you still at the same address that your telstra usb is registered to?

If you reply and are still having trouble i will ask my work mates on Monday (19/10) for you and find out the process.

Rohan

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The following link provides a fix for this issue:

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Mobile-Broadband-KB/Telstra-USB-and-Windows-10-Incompatibilit...

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

hanging

The fix provided by Telstra for mobile broadband devices gets us connected OK but from the Microsoft end it looks like we are on a metered connection so windows10 updates do not download. Is there a fix so that my Windows10 system can get its updates?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Hanging 

To get you the best advice available, I'll be referring your post to our Social Media Tech team who can check into this further for you,  

As they only work Monday to Friday, you can expect to hear from them early in the new week. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

hanging

No response from Social Media Tech team so I plugged my Sierra wireless modem into the USB port on my $50 D-link router which is connected to my computer and printer. Now Windows 10 updates download with no problem.

vanner
Level 3: Gumshoe

Do we know when a real fix is coming for this issue. Its been some months now since Windows 10 was issued.

I have tried the suggested option and installed the latest version however I cannot change the other settings in the temporary fix offered as I do now have the Cellular option in my Settings. the only thing that works is turning on the PC without the device installed, then plug it in and do a restart (not an close and new start) and it then loads, but this is a pain that we shouldnt have to do. And yes I have tried starting with it installed first but that fails as the device is not found.

So the question still remains, when we will get a correct fix from the company that should be the leading communications company in Australia. And I never received any letter regarding this problem although our address is correct as we certainly get our bills.

vanner

Correction- I do not have the Cellular setting in my PC so I cannot follow the temporary guidelines suggested.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Vanner,

I've requested an update from our device lead to see if we have something in the works for this. I'll update you when I hear back.

Nick

vanner

Nick, do we have any update on this issue. Whilst interstate it has already caused me to pay $25 for a hotel access gateway  - which is excessive, and later to purchase a $20 Telstra prepaid dongle so I can access the system whilst my USB 4G device is not working on windows 10 and I am away from home.

Returning home it does work when connected via my Wirelss router, however that does not use Windows 10 so is obviously not affected.

So in essence I am paying for two devices now which should not be necessary so I would appreciate a solution, and one that does not rquire the Cellular method as I dont have that showing on my list as indicated in other advice.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Vanner

I'll be forwarding your concerns to our Social Media Tech team so that they can touch base with you later in the day. 

Regards 

vanner

HI,

2 weeks ago Crowdsupport was going to ask for feedback on this problem, Then one week ago another followup resulted in advice the Social Media Tech would contact me that day however still I have not had any advice. Rather strange as Telstra was, and should still be, the premium communications company.

I am still being billed for the deivce, which I can use whilst home via my private wifi router, but this issue needs resolution so I can get back on the travelling  path rather than having to keep paying for a prepaid access.

So all I realy want is to know if, and when,  the issue is going to be fixed so the device works with Windows 10.

JB

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi vanner,

I don't believe there is any official software released to support windows 10 for these devices yet. Unfortunately if the fix in the thread which was posted above doesn't work there isn't much that can be done at this stage.

-Matt W

Crocinoz

HI Gang.  

I have had a ZTE MF821 LTE USB modem for a few years now on Pre-Paid and use the annual recharge.

Upgraded the laptop to Win 10 64bit a month or so ago and tried to use the modem a few days ago, only to find UCM wouldn't recognise it.  Normally inserting the modem automatically opened UCM, however after the Win 10 upgrade, nothing happens.  Opening UCM still had no response.  Tried reinsertingmodem, starting the computer again, belting it with a stick - still nothing.  Finally, after about two hours I managed to connect and it worked for about an hour,until I turned the computer off.  After that,nothing I tried worked and finally booked a trip to Telstra Tech Bar at Eastland, Melbourne yesterday.

Although the guys there was friendly and helpful, nothing seemed to work for him.  He upgraded the firmware for the modem (which I HADN'T done) and tried the published workaround using the Cellular connect in Networking.  This didn't work, as there was NO cellular option in Airplane mode, or anywhere else.  I left with him agreeing he would email me when a fix was found.

I got home and noticed that when you plug the modem into one of the 2 USB3 ports on the LEFT side (as my mouse is plugged into the USB2 port on the RIGHT side), it doesn't bring up the "SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE AND EJECT MEDIA" in the Task Bar....  HMMMM. I found in Device Manager that the ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0.96 (Microsoft) had an Error exclamation mark!  I disabled the enabled this through the Driver tab inProperties and reinserted the modem into the USB port.  VOILA!!  The USB icon appeared in the Task Bar and the modem was then recognised in Device Manager and Connected Devices in Settings (Devices).  I then updated the drivers for the modem through Properties/Driver/Update Driver in Device Manager and then Telstra UCM popped up, with everything working!!

I have done this a number of times now and occasionally the ASMedia driver gets the yellow exclamation mark - just Disable then Enable and it works again.  Went back and showed the Telstra dude and he said he would post to the Tech area.  

In my case, the following applies:

UCM = Mobile Broadband Manager 3.17.30227

Modem ZTE MF821 = Driver v 8.2088.0.1

USB 3.0 Driver= ASMedia XHCI - 0.96 (Microsoft) v 10.0.10586.0 (29-Oct-15)

Give thi a try and see what happens.  Works for me!  Smiley Happy

Crocinoz

Further to my previous post, I have now done this about 15 times, trying different combinations of USB2 and USB3ports, having UCM open and closed and booting from scratch and all of them seem to work now with the modem opening up UCM or being detected if UCM is open already.  It appears the problem is now fixed and I am able to use the USB modem as it used to work with W8.1 and W7.

Hope you all try this and have the same success as I have.

Cheers, and Happy New Year, Crocinoz

vanner

Firstly thanks for the comment on trying the other method.Unfortuantely I dont have USB3 and could not find any issue coming up on device manager.

In frustration I uninstalled the 320u software and reinstalled it all again, and then loaded the previously downloaded update 3.17 version (note some of the older links to do this do not work so search for the update number and you will find it).

Then trying our the Telstra quick fix, strangley the Cellular option appeared so I was able to do the changes they recommended and it now works without having to revert to using it via my wifi router. Whilst its ony been a couple of days I found it was starting up with the Telstra connection manager program but now it just starts and may also be controlled by the wifi page.

Not sure how we will find out when the proper update is released but for now I seem to be back on air via the unit directly connected via the USB2  port so all is well. As I am about to get back on the road one hopes the fix keeping it going whilst away.

thanks agian for the comment Coz

RustyA11
Level 2: Rookie

Fixed, Go to Device Manager & update the the USB3 port driver 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now