Highlighted
mitchymitch
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Wifi Elite - MF60 - Not a Router?

Answered

Hi all,

I purchased a Telstra Wifi Elite quite some time ago with the intention of someday using it for peer to peer type connections (between wireless clients connected to the MF60 device) -- but I"ve just done some troubleshooting and it appears that no traffic between wireless clients is possible.

I went through the admin page (192.168.0.1) and couldn't find anything in the security settings that would allow my wireless clients to communicate with each other.

Am I missing something? for all intensive purposes, the telstra wifi elite is a wireless internet connected router, but it looks as though ZTE or Telstra has locked down this functionality?

Basically, I can't do things like  ping between two clients that are connected to the Telstra Wifi Elite and there is no layer 2 broadcast traffic either. My iPhone can do this, when it hosts a hotspot.. >.<

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Wifi Elite - MF60 - Not a Router?

I purchased a Telstra Wifi Elite quite some time ago with the intention of someday using it for peer to peer type connections (between wireless clients connected to the MF60 device)

That's the function of a network hub or switch, and not specifically of a router (but a device labelled/marketed as a router can often perform that function as well).

I went through the admin page (192.168.0.1) and couldn't find anything in the security settings that would allow my wireless clients to communicate with each other.

Am I missing something?

According to the User Manual for the MF60 I found on ZTE's web site, (on page 13 it states) there's supposed to be a setting:

• APIsolation: When Enabled is selected, each of your wireless clients will not be able to communicate with each other. 

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

I purchased a Telstra Wifi Elite quite some time ago with the intention of someday using it for peer to peer type connections (between wireless clients connected to the MF60 device)

That's the function of a network hub or switch, and not specifically of a router (but a device labelled/marketed as a router can often perform that function as well).

Am I missing something?

According to the User Manual for the MF60 I found on ZTE's web site, (on page 13 it states) there's supposed to be a setting:

• APIsolation: When Enabled is selected, each of your wireless clients will not be able to communicate with each other. 

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
mitchymitch
Level 2: Rookie

Well done Drat, came back to post today that yes, AP isolation was the cause of my problem. I overlooked this on my wifi page and didn't discover this until yesterday evening after some more tinkering.

Cheers folks.

deemacdee
Level 1: Cadet

wow another telstra free data day

pulled out "old" elite mobile wifi (MF60) and confronted with messages "limited service" disconnect"

called telstra help and after minimal passing around (and 30 min hold) was advised

sim not setup for data !! - will fix and all should be OK

unfortunately NO but saw this thread and went to nearby telstra shop

bought and activated $2 sim - now all good

obviously telstra can not see SIM had "EXPIRED" due lack of recent use

Smiley Wink

Stevo6600
Level 1: Cadet

Anyone know how to update the security on this device from WPA to WPA2? Telstra has informed us it should do it automatically over the network. But it hasn't (no suprise there). Just wondering if it can & if so, do you have to do it manually or not.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Stevo6600

It's not possible for us to adjust your Wi-Fi Security settings remotely. I'm not sure why you would be advised otherwise.

You can change the Wifi Settings by logging into the modem interface from a device that is already connected to it by Wi-Fi

To do this:

• Open a webbrowser (such as Internet Explorer or Google Chrome)
  • Go to http://192.168.0.1
  • Enter the username and password shown below then press
    • Login User name: admin
    • Password: admin
  • When you login, the Home Page is displayed:
  • Select Wi-Fi Settings from the menu on the left.
  • Check for Security Configuration.

Here you'll be able to adjust the security type to WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK

I hope that helps.

The full manual for the device is found here

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now