EnglishDave
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra blocking some connections between me and game servers? (WTFast)

Hi Guys n Gals

im using my mobile phone as a hotspot to play online games, apart from random ping spikes every now and then this is fine.

i recently started playing a new game that requires low ping to play so looked into some ping smoothing programs like WTFast, pingzapper, battlebing etc.

here is the problem, after settleing with WTFast (the one that gave me the best results, only minor) i have been on support with them to see if they could help make improvements.

after trying some things we did a trace route and the teck guy there told me that

"The problem here is that your ISP is blocking some connections between you and the game server. The only way to fix this is for you to contact your ISP and ask them to allow our service and game traffic through. Explain to them what you are getting and that you want to play MMOs over your internet connection using WTFast."

telstra does seem to be blocking some packets from being send. eg command prompt trace route gives inacurate readings due to this. i believe this is the case with all telstra internet as a land line i cable into every now and then has the same results.

i realize that this is for the teck support guys but wondered if anyone here had any suggestions or has experienced similar things themselves.

cheers

Dave.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
EnglishDave

Re: Telstra blocking some connections between me and game servers? (WTFast)

just wondering if anyone can help me with this or if i have to contact technical support?

cheers

Dave.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi EnglishDave,

I think you'll find that these services won't work correctly due to not having a Public IP address for use with your mobile. Your Mobile is assigned a Private IP address via our NAT system. Therefore communication to services such as these smoothing programs may not work correctly.

-Matt W

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

EnglishDave

hi Matt

thanks for the reply, is there an way i could get a public ip address for my mobile using cellular data? ive looked into changing the dns to google's but have not managed to find a way to do it without rooting my phone.

cheers

Dave.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now