Highlighted
allinone
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Telstra prepaid mobile broadband unmetered sites is there any?

Answered

In some past posts there was a mention that some sites were unmetered for Telstra prepaid mobile broadband customers.

While talking to a CSR yesterday she said the front page was unmetered but after that was not unmetered. I was calling as my usage was extremely high and I was on a green dot page which is for BigPond (pospaid) customers only according to the CSR.

So would checking my usage would be metered as it is not on the front page too?

Can someone provide a definitive listing of prepaid mobile broadband unmetered sites for iPad prepaid and USB modem prepaid.

Thanks for the help in getting this sorted.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra prepaid mobile broadband unmetered sites is there any?

I was calling as my usage was extremely high and I was on a green dot page which is for BigPond (pospaid) customers only according to the CSR.

http://telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/apps-services/#bigpond-unmetered

http://bigpond.com/unmetered/

https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/whats-free-to-browse-on-bigpond-mobile

As far as I can see, Telstra Pre-paid Mobile is also eligible for accessing BigPond Unmetered free-of-charge.

Can someone provide a definitive listing of prepaid mobile broadband unmetered sites for iPad prepaid and USB modem prepaid.

Are you going through the BigPond portal on your device to these BigPond Unmetered sites? If not, then it constitutes metered usage – only BigPond post-paid services may access the sites as unmetered by any other means.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Allinone,

Quote from the Legal Document - http://www.telstra.com.au/customer-terms/download/document/mobileprepaid.pdf (Emphasis added by yours truly)

4.2  We provide the following features as part of the Telstra Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband service if your device supports the following features or when the SIM card provided with your Telstra Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband service is used with a compatible device:

(a)  data service

(b)  voice calling (national direct calls, international direct calls, directory assistance calls ,1800 services, call waiting, calling number display, 13 and 1300 services and 016 services);

(c)  short message service (SMS)

(d)  premium SMS services;

(e)  Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS); and

(f)  calls to 000 Emergency services

4.3  Except for features listed in clause 4.2 above and unless notified by us otherwise, we do not provide you any other feature/service (e.g. email address, web storage, unmetered access to BigPond websites etc) with your Telstra Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband service. 

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

I was calling as my usage was extremely high and I was on a green dot page which is for BigPond (pospaid) customers only according to the CSR.

http://telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/apps-services/#bigpond-unmetered

http://bigpond.com/unmetered/

https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/whats-free-to-browse-on-bigpond-mobile

As far as I can see, Telstra Pre-paid Mobile is also eligible for accessing BigPond Unmetered free-of-charge.

Are you going through the BigPond portal on your device to these BigPond Unmetered sites? If not, then it constitutes metered usage – only BigPond post-paid services may access the sites as unmetered by any other means.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
allinone

Hi Drat thank you for your reply,

I have already read all those pages and links and they all refer to a BigPond service. Unfortunately a prepaid accound is Telstra and not BigPond (postpaid)  so it is really hard to get the correct answer.

I have only accessed pages on the green dot when using a prepaid USB modem through the portal? (bigpond.com) and the usage goes down, this have be accessed using IE, Chrome.

But when accessing on a prepaid mobile phone the usage does not go down when accessing on the phone or when using Tribe though that portal.

So there is some difference with a phone and modem but I cannot find out where this is stated anywhere definitively.

Any definitive answers so as I can get my usage back would be appreciated.

Ben_F

I thought (and dont' quote me on this) that the only services that would be included on Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband would be the same as a Pre-Paid Mobile. 

B.

New Users - Click Here!

allinone

@Ben_F wrote:

I thought (and dont' quote me on this) that the only services that would be included on Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband would be the same as a Pre-Paid Mobile. 

B.

Thank for the reply Ben but most of those links do not work or are not relevant to a web-based browser, some of them are for postpaaid customers too.

Is there some other terms and conditions for prepaid mobile broadband where this is spelled out,

BTW the account checking facility has not worked for the last two (maybe more) days so canot check usage anyway which must violate some terms and conditions from Telstra side ???

ta allinone

Ben_F
Accepted Solution

Hi Allinone,

Quote from the Legal Document - http://www.telstra.com.au/customer-terms/download/document/mobileprepaid.pdf (Emphasis added by yours truly)

4.2  We provide the following features as part of the Telstra Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband service if your device supports the following features or when the SIM card provided with your Telstra Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband service is used with a compatible device:

(a)  data service

(b)  voice calling (national direct calls, international direct calls, directory assistance calls ,1800 services, call waiting, calling number display, 13 and 1300 services and 016 services);

(c)  short message service (SMS)

(d)  premium SMS services;

(e)  Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS); and

(f)  calls to 000 Emergency services

4.3  Except for features listed in clause 4.2 above and unless notified by us otherwise, we do not provide you any other feature/service (e.g. email address, web storage, unmetered access to BigPond websites etc) with your Telstra Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband service. 

New Users - Click Here!

Ben_F

As for access to checking your usage, this facility was available last i checked at http://myprepaid.telstra.com (when connected to the USB device).

B.

New Users - Click Here!

scitech

Pre-Paid can be a false economy because you don't get the value added services such as unmetered.

it is great for occasional  users and those who lack self control or who are on a tight budget.

Also great if you use it when away on hollidays a couple of times a year. 

It is also an expensive way for highly active users.

But thats just my opinion.

allinone

Hi Ben_F thank you so much for finding that hard to locate doco.
Allinone

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now