CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
hyppolyte
Level 6: Bloodhound

The latest problem with the Nighthawk M1

Answered

The Nighthawk M1 was put on the market with inadequate firmware approximately early 2017.

It was not possible to use it as an always on substitute for Home Broadband as advertised and sold to me.

• It could not be used without the battery (random multiple reboots) and if you left the battery in too long it drained the battery and turned itself off.
  • Ethernet did not function and would repeatedly drop off, with a reboot required even if the battery was not an issue.  Ethernet failing made it necessary for me to purchase a router capable of wifi spot boost.

I went through the laborious process of organising a Device Care Self Service postal return only to have the same device returned to me weeks later, assessed as working perfectly.

There have since been 2 OTA firmware updates: NTG9X50C_10.16.04.04 dated 2017/07/13;

• Allowed the device to be used without battery for the purposes of always on at home.
  • Ethernet still did not function correctly and would still repeatedly drop into standby, which could only be reawakened by rebooting the device.
  • For some people the data usage information disappeared and according to the Mobile Assurance Chat Team, was mostly rectified with a factory reset and/or a browser refresh.

And: NTG9X50C_10.25.01.00 dated 2018/01/31;

• There is a new setting: In Setup | Mobile Router Setup for Ethernet Standby and the ability to have Ethernet Standby disabled. Ethernet is now viable.
  • Device closest to “as advertised and fit for purpose” yet.
  • Data Usage disappeared.
  • After factory reset screen blank with an ominous “Detecting service” message.
  • Internet still available.
  • Connected devices also unavailable on screen but still in device webpage and mobile Apps

Telstra support over 2 days consisted of:

• Do a factory reset
  • Refresh the browser
  • Remove and replace the sim
  • Then take it to a Telstra Store, 400 kms in my case.
  • Unable to get an answer to the question “Does anyone have a functioning device?”

Or send it by Post for undisclosed timeframe with alarming T &Cs  that include words like refurbished, formal quote etc. Without the assurance of an exchange device as promised here: https://www.telstra.com.au/consumer-advice/faulty-products. This offer disappears at form filling stage.

Today, after an amicable phone discussion with Tech Support, I was offered an exchange device with faulty device return included, only to receive message on the MR1100 2 hours later rescinding and telling me to use the Self Care Service Form. Low blow.

My preferred solution before a 400km trip or a slow return by mail;

• Could Telstra please provide access to recent firmware updates for troubleshooting purposes?
  • if it is an OTA issue that would be the end of it.
  • Perhaps to protect us from ourselves, it could be accessed only in concert with Tech Support Online assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
hyppolyte
Accepted Solution

Re: The latest problem with the Nighthawk M1

@Beau and @mazinoz

You may be interested in this info from the netgear forum. It looks like the problem has been identified and a fix is on the way "before the end of April"

Solved: Re Nighthawk M1 Data Usage  

Thank you for contributing

More to come in the fullness of time

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 19: Deputy Director

If you are using it as an always on router is that at home or when mobile?
If your contract for it has expired, personally if it is used mainly at home you might be better off getting a decent router as well as the Telstra one under a Home Broadband deal. Unless Telstra want to charge you a fortune to change to a different plan with them.
The main reasons are security - turn Telstra modem into a bridged one and use decent router to do all routing and security. Get one that supports VPN, get a VPN provider. Many supply VPN configured routers but to their service only. May be able to change that. Of course if you live on a farm kms from another one, it should not matter if you have VPN or not. But ethernet is often faster than wireless and ADSL/VDSL should not have congestion issues.
hyppolyte

You are spot on,

My set up requires MIMO external logarithmic Yagi antennas. I keep the device in my study at the back of the house so it can connect to the antennas outside on a pole beside the water tank. The antennas point in the direction of the nearest LTE 700MHz tower 4 Km away across small hills and through tall trees. I tested my reception before I purchased the device. I suppose the isolation of our town is the very reason congestion is not an issue, with speeds consistently around 70 / 35.

From May 2017 until the recent, flawed update I had been using wifi spot boot with a Dovado ProAC.  Since 13 March when the update arrived I am now able to use the Ethernet into the Dovado with failover to a very slow, emergency offnet ADSL.

There are times when we take the Nighthawk for a spin, such as shopping days - 120Kms and towers in town.  The minor security of seeing how many devices are attached and how much data has been used is currently not available on the device. It is also a key statement in their online sales statement. Plus the uncertainty of service.

I am disappointed that the only solution offered by Telstra Mobile Assurance is to take my essential device off me, with no exchange offered.  The Tech Support person over the phone told me that the only way forward was to hope that a “New device straight from the factory, with probably the original firmware”, would somehow magically update itself in a different way from my device, which was last year returned to me assessed as perfect in every way.

When he offered an exchange device, with no interruption to my service. I accepted. He said it was on its way. Then two hours later, he did not contact me on my preferred landline contact or my second choice iPhone. He left a cowardly voice message using the new Telstra RCS voice service on a device he knew would give me no recall.

What you say about VPN is very interesting from a fringe-dweller’s point of view. I see the Netgear forum is saying VPN is not a goer on the M1. Beyond my ken. I see a setting for VPN passthrough on the M1 and a section for VPN in the Dovado. I have been concentrating on getting a service to our home and have not even looked into that aspect.

Beau
Level 5: Eagle Eye

> And: NTG9X50C_10.25.01.00 dated 2018/01/31;
> Data Usage disappeared.

I also experience this after having had the firmware updated, and it's rather annoying not being able to tell how far along in the month vs data usage you are.

For what it's worth, the data share SIM, which is a consumer plan, worked fine pre firmware update.

A separate Nighthawk used at work, with an enterprise/legacy SIM, still displays the correct usage even after the firmware update.

Sorry for delay in replying.  

This device seems problematic to say the least.  I don't own one say can't give details on this. 

You may find something if you search the forum re that update.  One user found emptying the cache solved the issue, or using a different fresh browser.  Re the ethernet port.  One found that actually four of their ethernet cables were faulty and not the M1!  Also maybe check 

outages.telstra.com or NBN for rollouts in your area.  These plus rain, floods, bushfires etc may cause connection issues.  A VPN is probably not needed in your situation except when you take it out for a drive.  I need one to protect me from my neighbours!  A lot of renters in flats too lousy to pay for an internet connection or just plain ba...ds. I was safer when NOT at home!

Maybe you could find out if anything else differed from the one at work Beau? 

hyppolyte

Hi @mazinoz,

Thanks for the info on VPNs, something to consider for the future.

About the Nighthawk M1, there are several threads on the issue.

If we assume that everyone's setup is "unique" the common issue is a problem introduced with the latest OTA firmware update to NTG9X50C_10.25.01.00. 

Telstra have moved from a position of “Not Known”, when asked if they were aware of any functioning devices on 24 March, to a position of “not being able to replicate it on test devices” on 26 March.

Verbatim: "It has been suggest for you to contact Netgear directly to see if they can arrange for the update package to be sent to you to perform the update again."

Is it the firmware?  Is it the OTA process?  Are the test devices straight from the factory?  Did they do the previous August update first? 

Do they have access to the files for proper trouble shooting? Why won't they help their customers? 

hyppolyte

Thanks @Beau,

A problem shared . . .

Whirlpool and Netgear forums suggest that non-Telstra customers have better data usage display since the latest FW.

My gut instinct is that it is the firmware combined with consumer plans. Many alternative sims seem to work ok.

The fly in the ointment for that theory is the Device Support Team being "unable to replicate" the issue on their test devices. Too many factors without access to the files for troubleshooting.

Telstra Technical Support is an oxymoron.

hyppolyte
Accepted Solution

@Beau and @mazinoz

You may be interested in this info from the netgear forum. It looks like the problem has been identified and a fix is on the way "before the end of April"

Solved: Re Nighthawk M1 Data Usage  

Thank you for contributing

More to come in the fullness of time

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now