CrowdSupport®
iosman123
Level 1: Cadet

Tower congestion or something else?.

Hello,

We have spent a fortune following all of Telstra's advice to fix our "black spot" in Wongawallan 4210 Qld including a Cel-Fi Go with a 4.5m Yagi (aimed at a tower less then 5km away.)

We now have a consistent 5 bars of 4G LTE service and clear phone calls, but I would have better internet speeds if I sent all data on scraps of paper tied to carrier pigeons.

I really don't believe they can continue to blame our end of the connection as a Cat 20 device on mobile "business data" rates is regularly capable of around 20mb/s upload speeds, but only between 0 and 5 mb/s download speeds (usually closer to 0)

Other than the TIO, anyone have any advice besides Telstra's excruciating international support "service" and their standard "well yes now sir, we will get you to just try resetting your modem"?

Currently we have resorted to paying for an OVO (Optus) monthly SIM on top of our $200 p/m Telstra mobile plan just to be able to work from our home office.

I'd ditch Telstra in a second but a large part of my work occurs in remote areas where Telstra is the only carrier so this is not currently an option. .  

thanks

iosman

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Tower congestion or something else?.

Do you know how to use the Cel Fi Wave mobile app to adjust the frequencies your Go is set to? For instance If the repeater is  set to a band that the local tower does not have, that could possibly  be the problem. 

Ideally Band 28 (700MHz is best. 

I use one and have excellent 4GX speeds not just 4G LTE standard speeds.

What type of modem are you using? Is it Telstra supplied? Have you reset it? Have you rebooted the Go which you need to do periodically?

I don’t work for Telstra but the reality may be if you're getting 5 bars in, it may be something you're connecting from it in your premises.

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

PS  Did Telstra arrange the installation of the Go system?

If so they would have done a speed test.....Did you initially or ever get bettter speeds. Are you using speedtest.net ?

Have you tried selecting different servers to get the most accurate speed test ?

50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

You can report the coverage problem via https://service.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/coverage-feedback

For general information: The Telstra Towers in your area only operate on 3G 850MHz and LTE 700MHz. You will get better service using an Optus SIM, because on the same towers, they operate on 3G 900MHz & 2100MHz and LTE 700MHz, 1800MHz, 2100MHz so your carrier aggregation actually does something when on Optus in your area (it requires more than one frequency to be effective).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Is your modem in the same room as the INTERNAL Go repeater antenna?

Can you do this simple test, place your mobile phone (preferably 2 phones) exactly where your modem sits, in case it is a dead spot . for receiving the retransmitted Go signal.

If it's a Samsung, key in *#0011#    and you will see test mode.  About the 5th line down is RSSI.     Let the phone settle and advise the RSSI exactly where the modem sits.

As Jupiter has advised your Telstra 4G service transmits on 700MHz from the local tower.

Your repeater should be set to Band 28 only.  Go into Wave app please

If you need any help using the Cel Fi app which is your only means of entering the Go menu, please advise.

1. Ensure bluetooth in your phone is on

2. Click on Wave app.

4. If not previously used, do the usual "agrees etc"

5. First screen will be Dashboard

Advise Boost number in bottom right corner

6. Click on Settings to the right of Dashboard

7. The last of the 4 sub-menus is Booster

8. Ensure the blue dot is on the bottom option Band 28, which becomes Blue

Go back to Dashboard and exit.

Good idea to reboot Go at power point. Leave off 5 minutes.

Final test, to eliminate your modem.

If your mobile phones have the speedtest.net app, place them separately exactly where your modem sits and take an average of 3 tests preferably in 2 mobile phones.

I believe that in the end, this will most probably be something relatively simple, as there is no reason that you're not getting 25 to 50 MB/s even in a poor signal area.

I really would be interested who installed your system and did it ever work well and also is your speed issue time of day related?

As you say you're getting 5 bars of mobile phone signal, if you're getting even 3 exactly  where your modem sits, you have to be getting at least 30 MB/s download, even just on Band 28, which is the preferred frequency for 5 kms from the Tower.    

Highlighted
iosman123
Level 1: Cadet

@ProfessorPhone wrote:

Do you know how to use the Cel Fi Wave mobile app to adjust the frequencies your Go is set to? For instance If the repeater is  set to a band that the local tower does not have, that could possibly  be the problem. 

Ideally Band 28 (700MHz is best. 

I use one and have excellent 4GX speeds not just 4G LTE standard speeds.

What type of modem are you using? Is it Telstra supplied? Have you reset it? Have you rebooted the Go which you need to do periodically?

I don’t work for Telstra but the reality may be if you're getting 5 bars in, it may be something you're connecting from it in your premises.

Thanks my issue has been fixed.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit