Wongawomble
Level 1: Cadet

Tower congestion or something else?

Hi all,

We have spent a fortune following all of Telstra's advice to fix our "black spot" in Wongawallan 4210 Qld including a Cel-Fi Go with a 4.5m Yagi (aimed at a tower less then 5km away.)

We now have a consistent 5 bars of 4G LTE service and clear phone calls, but I would have better internet speeds if I sent all data on scraps of paper tied to carrier pigeons.

I really don't believe they can continue to blame our end of the connection as a Cat 20 device on mobile "business data" rates is regularly capable of around 20mb/s upload speeds, but only between 0 and 5 mb/s download speeds (usually closer to 0)

Other than the TIO, anyone have any advice besides Telstra's excruciating international support "service" and their standard "well yes now sir, we will get you to just try resetting your modem"?

Currently we have resorted to paying for an OVO (Optus) monthly SIM on top of our $200 p/m Telstra mobile plan just to be able to work from our home office.

I'd ditch Telstra in a second but a large part of my work occurs in remote areas where Telstra is the only carrier so this is not currently an option. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance to help us improve these speeds.  

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Tower congestion or something else?

Hello,

I have a Cel Fi right in front of me and I get mobile broadband speeds up to 100 mb/s and sometimes higher depending on modem or mobile phone data speeds.

I can't understand why if you are getting full signal bars and  your internet is  slow,

Are you using the Wave app to set up your Go Repeater?

Was it set up by an accredited Telstra installer?

If not, and you have the Wave app on your phone, go into the app after it connects to your Go Repeater and go into Settings,  then Booster Settings and tell me what it is set to.

You may be set to a frequency band not operating on your nearest cell site despite voice calls receiving signal.

I look forward to your response,

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

Also, are you using a Telstra supplied modem?

If not, it may not cover the frequencies that Telstra uses.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Wongawomble

Thanks very much for the response. In answer to your queries:
- professionally installed cell fi unit set up as a stationary system.
- settings on the wave app say it is boosting 4g LTE band 28. This should be the correct frequency for the 4g tower the aerial is aimed at.
- speed are taken from my new Telstra supplied Samsung galaxy S10. Our hotspot is a Telstra 4gx modem which is a lower category device and is so slow it is unusable - can't even complete a speed test to tell you how bad!
We have tried switching the booster to 3g but that was even worse.
I don't get an option to change bands in the advanced settings.

You should only use Booster Settings. Try Auto. I use a Netgear Advanced 111 modem in the Netgear cradle which has 4 Ethernet connections and more powerful Wi-Fi with it's separate SSID name and password. I take it both your Samsung and modem both give you slow speeds.? What speed?
It is possible the base station may not be using Band 28 or is congested? Try using EACH of all the other bands in Booster Settings to be 100% sure. See if you can buy on a sale or return basis a better modem on approval from a Telstra store. You will always get better speeds with a wired ethernet connection. Is the Go located near your modem? Importantly you needs to ensure you are taking your Telstra signal from the Repeater... not the tower. You can check this with a Samsung by keying in
*#0011# which will take you into Test Mode. About 5 lines down is Serving Cell ID. It is likely to be ID-11. If it's 1, 2 or 3 you are not running from the repeater. Please try all above and advise. Put your phone right next to the modem and not have your hands on the phone
Wongawomble

Thanks for that, I just tried all booster bands. 4g LTE and band 28 are about the same with 5 mb/s down, 15 up.
All others are so slow they can't complete a speed test. The modem won't complete a speed test, only the S10.
Definitely connecting to the booster not the tower and these speeds are with the phone siting next to the indoor aerial.
Given that uploads are consistently way better than downloads I'm back to thinking this is just a grossly congested tower.

PS What I can see if you're on the Wongawallan base station... its Band 28 .....presuming info is correct
Wongawomble

Apology for the slow response, I'm flat out with work ATM.

Yes, we are on the Tower near the base of Tambourine mountain and boosting the correct 4G LTE channel 28. My new record speed for download is 10 mb/s achieved after 11pm on a Monday night so not exactly peak hour. Most of the time I'm still getting less than 3 mb/s so still resorting back to the OVO/Optus solution for broadband.

Thanks for your like.

The only thing I can think to test is set it to Auto.

If the Go hands-off systems (eg 4G to 3G)  mid conversation, you'll experience a call drop.

Sorry, but I'm out of ideas, but your initial comment of congestion has merit.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now