CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Davei
Level 1: Cadet

Travelling with mobile broadband

Answered

Hi
I shall be traveling soon in a camper and want a mobile connection that can be run off a 12volt supply. I have both cigarette lighter and usb 12volt connections wired up.I want the modem/router to  connect to my Ipad and iphone. Can the Netgear Nighthawk do this? And is there another hardware option?
I wont have a 240v supply while on the road.
When not travelling I want to be able to use the same modem/router as my internet connection at home and plug into house hold power.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Travelling with mobile broadband

There are quite a few Nighthawk routers but I assume you will be using the Nighthawk M2 as this has a built in 3G/4G modem.

The Netgear Nighthawk M2can be used to provide an internet connection for iPad and iPhone when traveling and when at home. It can be charged using a USB port or a 240 volt power socket so you will be able to keep the battery charged using the USB ports in your vehicle.

There are a lot off other WiFi 3G/4G modem routers that can be used and also can be charged using USB port. Just about all the 4G/3G modems sold by Telstra an Optus can be charged using a USB port so would be suitable. The Netgear Nighthawk has the advantage of an Ethernet port that can provide an internet connection for wired devices.

The only disadvantage in using the Netgear Nighthawk M2 or any other 3G/4G modem for home internet is that data is more expensive than the fixed line option.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Accepted Solution

There are quite a few Nighthawk routers but I assume you will be using the Nighthawk M2 as this has a built in 3G/4G modem.

The Netgear Nighthawk M2can be used to provide an internet connection for iPad and iPhone when traveling and when at home. It can be charged using a USB port or a 240 volt power socket so you will be able to keep the battery charged using the USB ports in your vehicle.

There are a lot off other WiFi 3G/4G modem routers that can be used and also can be charged using USB port. Just about all the 4G/3G modems sold by Telstra an Optus can be charged using a USB port so would be suitable. The Netgear Nighthawk has the advantage of an Ethernet port that can provide an internet connection for wired devices.

The only disadvantage in using the Netgear Nighthawk M2 or any other 3G/4G modem for home internet is that data is more expensive than the fixed line option.

Davei
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you for the info

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now