Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Level 1: Cadet
0 Kudos

USB 4G Device connecting to telstra.corp APN connection keeps dropping

Hi Guys,

After many hours on the phone with Telstra trying t owork out how to configure the 4G device to connect to our corporate VPN through the telstra.corp APN I gave up. Thankfully I found this site and the advice to ditch the Telstra Watcher for the Sierrar Wireless - and success, it worked.

However I have a user that keeps gettting the following message and booted out after exactly 10 minutes of connection and I am at a loss (as were the 12 people I kept getting passed to when I called tech support...). Any suggestions?

Error message is:

Your data session has been terminated. AirCard Watcher is unable to authorize the use of this device. Please check your internet firewall settings, or contact your IT administrator or carrier for further assistance.

Telstra (Retired)
0 Kudos

Re: USB 4G Device connecting to telstra.corp APN connection keeps dropping

Hi djneli,

Thanks for your post regarding the issue you have with one of your USB 4G devices dropping out connection every 10 minutes.

Firstly, welcome to CrowdSupport Smiley Happy Please stick around and offer any expertise you have in the range of topics here in our Community.

Secondly, my apologies for the inconvenience caused for the times it took you to configure your other devices to get to work on your work VPN. 

May I confirm if each of these devices are associated to an individual account with their own log in details? Was this device offered by Telstra Business or are they just Telstra Personal customer devices? Are they post-paid or pre-paid?

Has reinstallation of the software specific to the user who are having problems made any difference at all?

I look forward to your update. Thank you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today

Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

0 Kudos

Hi Joe.

Yes each user has an individual username and password associated to the telstra.corp APN APN with authentication taking place on the Telstra Radius Server.

We have uninstalled and reinstalled the software but still to no avail. This particular device was bought from a Telstra Business Centre and our accounts are managed through Telstra on a joint NZ / Aus account.

The user account I am trying to get this device working on will connect fine through an older Elite modem however we have had a 20% failure rate on those devices and now that they are no long available the 4G modem is the one that is replacing them however if we can't get them to work we are in a spot of trouble.

Telstra (Retired)
0 Kudos

Hi djneli,

Thanks for your update. It seems really strange to me that you're onyl having issue with this one device.

Have you had a chat with our 24/7 Business Live Chat Team for help with this at all? Please let me know how you go.

I'm just wondering if the device itself maybe faulty because as you mentioned, all other services are working as expected. Thank you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today

Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

0 Kudos

Hi there, we're having the same issue. Did you end up resolving why perfectly new 4G devices are doing this? Please if you could reply that would be great. Thanks!
0 Kudos

Hi there, we're having exactly the same issue. What was the final resolution for new 4G devices getting booted like this? Thanks!

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

We have 4 x 4G Sierra Devices in the field that all drop out after 10 minutes. Our 3G devices work fine and they are both using Sierra Wireless software. Which proves firewall and radius are not the issue. A fix for this 4G drop out would be appreciated.

Level 2: Rookie

I just had a chat with a support tech from Sierra Wireless who said that this issue is related to an older version of the Aircard software that is either being used, or had been on the computer.

Apparently the older software required a license key to use, but this is built into the new versions.

They recommended removing any Telstra Connection Manager and Sierra Wireless Watcher software, reboot and install the latest Aircard watcher software from their site: http://www.sierrawireless.com/en/Support/Downloads/AirCard/USB_Modems/AirCard_320U.aspx

Trying it now!