CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
malcolmm6
Level 2: Rookie

Unable to access usage meter for Pre Paid Mobile Broadband

Answered

I have a Telstra Pre-paid mobile broadband service and am using a Netcomm/Bigpond router to access the service.

I would like to access a usage meter but have not found a way to successfully do this. One problem that I have is when I try to "Add a Service" at

https://es.telstra.com/MobileDataUsageMeter/index.jsp?theme=tb#AddRemoveService

to get usage information the system wants to send a security code by text. As my SIM is in a router that has no Inbox I am unable to access the security code needed to add this service to the usage meter. I seem to be at a dead end, can you help, is there another way of accessing the Usage Meter ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
malcolmm6
Accepted Solution

Re: Unable to access usage meter for Pre Paid Mobile Broadband

Sorry if the last post appeared to be directed at you. That wasn't the intention. I have contacted Online Customer Support and after and lengthy exchange the only solution that I have is to find someone with a Telstra (or unlocked) phone which takes a big SIM and receive the SMS using that phone. I have been through the same situation with Optus in the past and had to borrow someones Optus phone in that case. Neither provider seems to have identified or addressed this problem with broadband SIMs in routers. Thanks for your input. Until the next time !!!!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 22: Superhuman

I have a Telstra Pre-paid mobile broadband service and am using a Netcomm/Bigpond router to access the service.

… As my SIM is in a router that has no Inbox I am unable to access the security code needed to add this service to the usage meter.

Nothing stops you from taking the SIM out of the modem and putting it into a mobile handset after the security code has been sent, however. Once in the handset, you will be able to access the SMS message(s), write it down, and then put the SIM back into your router. I don't believe the send-and-feed-back authentication on the web site requires a single, unbroken network session.

Or you can try using the Telstra 24x7 app if you have an iPad or an Android handset/tablet, I think it'll work (but don't know for sure, since I don't have a pre-paid service).

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
malcolmm6

Thanks for the quick response!

My pre-paid broadband is a big SIM and my Telstra iPhone has a little SIM so no chance of reading the SMS message there.

I have had a look at the 24/7 App on my iPhone but there is no usage meter and no way that I can see  to "Add Service"   for my Mobile Data Usage Meter.

A solution appears to be that I have to find someone who has a phone which will take a big SIM to receive the SMS. Why should I have to do this ?? I am running with a Bigpond Router and Telstra SIM, why is this so difficult ???

Level 22: Superhuman

I have had a look at the 24/7 App on my iPhone but there is no usage meter and no way that I can see  to "Add Service"   for my Mobile Data Usage Meter.

Your pre-paid service needs to be added to your Telstra.com Online Services (‘My Account’) account first. As far as I'm aware, you cannot add a pre-paid service yourself as a billing account by the 10-digit mobile service number alone, so your best bet is contact Online Services Customer Support in the first instance to get that sorted.

Why should I have to do this ??

OK, don't. It's your call. There is only so much the ‘crowd’ on CrowdSupport to do to help you get over the obstacles that stand between you and your desired outcome – by sharing with you what we know, but without actually performing the tasks involved on your behalf.

If you want to raise a complaint directly to Telstra, then go here instead: How to Make a Complaint

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
malcolmm6
Accepted Solution

Sorry if the last post appeared to be directed at you. That wasn't the intention. I have contacted Online Customer Support and after and lengthy exchange the only solution that I have is to find someone with a Telstra (or unlocked) phone which takes a big SIM and receive the SMS using that phone. I have been through the same situation with Optus in the past and had to borrow someones Optus phone in that case. Neither provider seems to have identified or addressed this problem with broadband SIMs in routers. Thanks for your input. Until the next time !!!!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now