Highlighted
Bal50
Level 1: Cadet

Unexplained large data usage on mobile broadband dongle

I have a Telstra mobile wireless broadband data plan. I do not use it very often. Usually the usage for a session is somewhere between 50 cents and $1.50. This morning I was connected for a few minutes - just email and a quick check of a map on Google Earth (done it before with no problems). But this time the charge was $7.90. Then I went out. The computer was off. The wireless dongle was removed from the computer. I was charged $30.78 for 2.15Gb and I was not even connected to the internet. This is about one quater of my annual usage. How can this happen? A similar thing happened a couple of years ago with $80 in charges over a few days and no explanation could be found. I do not use a computer for gaming, movie downloads or anything like that, Just email and internet searches. Surely there is some way of finding out what causes this?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Unexplained large data usage on mobile broadband dongle

If you don't use it very often, then your computer could have downloaded updates while you were doing other bits and pieces.

The usage doesn't always show up instantly.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now