Gregy
Level 2: Rookie

Unknown mobile broadband number appearing on my account

I received the following e-mail today on my home NBN connected PC:

"Welcome to Pre-paid Mobile Broadband

Congratulations – your Pre‑Paid service is now active and ready to go. You’re now part of Australia’s fastest mobile network.

Restart your device now (if you haven’t already) to get the benefits of the Telstra network.

It’s time to get set up, learn how to check your balance, recharge and more".

The only problem is, I haven't activated any pre-paid mobile broadband services. I don't even own a tablet and only ever use the internet ocassionally from my desktop PC at home and have absolutely no use for mobile broadband.

Is this just another Telstra stuff up where they have put someone else's service on my account or something more sinister such as identity theft of fraud.

I checked my Telstra account and under Pre-paid services appears a mobile number that I don't recognise for "Telstra Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband Plus" with 10Gb of data.

I reported this to Telstra as soon as I got the e-mail and they gave me a reference number and said they would investigate and this would take 7 days.

Telstra haven't been very helpful in providing me any information about this, so I will most likely report this to the Police tomorrow

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Unknown mobile broadband number appearing on my account

The police generally won't be particularly interested.

Did your reference number start with SR 1-?
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Gregy

No, just a couple of INT 1- numbers each time I called them. Finally I convinced them to deactivate this unknown mobile broadband plan and it disappeared from my account. But , that evening I got another e-mail from Telstra "Your pre-paid activation is complete", I checked my account again and sure enough there was another mobile broad account (with a different phone number) attached to my account. I rang Telstra the next morning and after an hour on the phone with them, I convinced them to deactivate this one too. Looks like just another Telstra stuff up that will take 6 months to fix and of course each time I call they always play the blame game and try to make out that I activated this account or one of my family members did (I have no family members and no one knows my account details and password except for me and Telstra)

Changing your Telstra password would be a good step.

You should also probably lodge a formal complaint at https://telstra.com/complaints
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Gregy

I thought all of this was fixed ... but of course that would be too much to expect from Telstra. Last month I received an e-mail from another Telstra customer telling me that he had received my latest monthly bill by e-mail!!! I always have my bill sent by postal mail NOT e-mail. He e-mailed me a copy of the bill and all details on the bill were correct - my name, postal address, account number, e-mail address and phone numbers.
I then logged into my Telstra account / bill settings and found without my knowledge or conscent, Telstra had changed the delivery method from postal mail to e-mail and the e-mail address entered was not my e-mail address, but another Telstra customer's !!!!!! This will explain why I didn't receive a bill last month.
I immediately deleted the incorrect e-mail address, and changed the delivery method back to postal mail. I just hope I receive my bill in the mail this month.
I am not going to call Telstra and report this, as everytime I have spoken to Telstra, they always have me hanging on the phone for an hour and play the blame game, trying to blame me for their continual stuff ups and they only end up compounding the problem and create new problems.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Gregy, I appreciate the concern about the details being sent to the wrong address and trust this ongoing problem can be sorted out for you soon. For privacy reasons we can't access accounts or make changes to services via posts on these forums, but the Complaints like Jupiter has provided above ( https://tel.st/zq43z) would be the best point of contact for this to be followed up by a dedicated case manager if you haven't been able to get the assistance you need in your recent calls. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now