CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
gunduane
Level 2: Rookie

Using ZTE MF91 Prepaid 4G Modem on Telstra to access Security Camera

Answered

Good Day,

I did post this under "Modems and Hardware" but got no response. Reading the forums seems to indicate it may be a Telstra prepaid 4G problem so I am re-posting here in hopes:

I am wanting to connect a surveilance camera at our scout hall, which does not have cable broadband or adsl wired to the hall. I have purchased a Telstra Prepaid 4G Pocket Wi-Fi modem (ZTE MF91) that allows me to connect up to 5 PCs over a wi-fi. I have a surveillance camera that will send emailed pictures if triggered by a motion sensor: This part of the camera's function works fine (sending out). However, in order to access the camera to rotate it or move it up or down does not work: It seems that I need to Port Forward/set up as a server. I can access the camera when I connect it to my cable modem at home, set up a port for the camera and then access it from an external internet connection; it lets me view realtime footage and control the camera from my iPad. BUT, whilst the email function works on the 4G modem, the control of the camera (port forwarding) does not work.

I understand that the modem's public IP address changes when re-started, so I have set up a DynDNS address for the camera through the manufacturer's website (supracam) and the camera automatically sends its ip address and port number to the DDNS server and also emails me its external IP address (atm it is 01.168.213.75:80) via email everytime I fire up the 4g modem and the ip address changes: However I cannot access the camera from outside when it is connected to the MF91 4g modem connected to Telstra's prepaid network.

When I query Myipaddress.com I get a reasonable sounding "101.173.85.72", which agrees with what I am given off the DDNS. This ip address changes of course every time I re start the modem, but this change is handled by the DDNS server.

1. Is this a Telstra issue whereby I am hidden behind their NAT? How do I test to find out?

2. I need to move this camera around (to my wife's school over the holidays etc) so the mobile 4g is very attractive - am I barking up the wrong tree?

3. Can I pay Telstra to provide a static IP?

Surely I am not the only person out there trying to do this?

Please help....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gunduane
Accepted Solution

Logmein - good idea!

Hi Ben,

Very good idea! I use Hamachi all the time so am familiar; will just need to locate an old computer to sit at the hall and leave on.

Many thanks for the idea!

Regards....

Alan

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: Using ZTE MF91 Prepaid 4G Modem on Telstra to access Security Camera

@gunduane wrote:

1. Is this a Telstra issue whereby I am hidden behind their NAT? How do I test to find out?

Telstra provides a NAT'ed connection and a Private IP address to you as a consumer when you access the Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband Service. I wouldn't call this an issue however it is a limitation of the service you have acquired.

@gunduane wrote:

2. I need to move this camera around (to my wife's school over the holidays etc) so the mobile 4g is very attractive - am I barking up the wrong tree?

BigPond Mobile Broadband services will allow you to obtain a Public, Dynamic IP address directly to the device in question from memory.

@gunduane wrote:

3. Can I pay Telstra to provide a static IP?

To the best of my knowledge, not on a Consumer or Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband Service

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

gunduane

Damn. Thanks for the response Ben!

I plucked up the courage to call Telstra today. It seems that I cannot return my device and I cannot switch it to a Bigpond plan account - I have to purchase a new 24 month account at $35/month with a new device - and even then I can't be sure it is  going to work.

The Telstra Business technician lady said I had to "buy an IP address from a company other than Telstra as Telstra didn't sell IP addresses with their devices"......

I just can't help feeling that I am getting the wrong or incomplete story over the phone from Telstra, I wish I could deal with someone over a counter. Does anyone have someone "on the inside" of Telstra that can help without me throwing my toys out the cot and "going to the ombudsman" - I really don't want to spoil the rest of my Christmas or anyone elses...

It seems that the conclusion is: Don't get a prepaid Telstra mobile device if you plan to use it to Port Forward into the device from public internet. Not even for gaming.

Anyone out there want to buy a briefly used Telstra 4G modem to only surf the net? I have thoroughly quality checked it over the last few days and there is still a few GB of free surfspace!

Alan

gunduane

Update

I spent about two hours on the phone being transferred from one person to the next. There is definately good cause to claim against Telstra:

- When I purchased the modem I stated that I would be using it to access a security camera;

- Even the "techiest" person that I spoke to was not sure how the IP address system works for the Prepaid modem, he insisted that the prepaid modem was allocated a dynamic IP address and the post paid modem would be allocated a static address, whilst my understanding is that the PREpaid modem has a NAT address 5.0.0.1 administered by Telstra that translates to a dynamic IP address (eg 101.168.213.65) but that this address is simultaneously used by many phones and modems, with Telstra internally resolving traffic for my particular modem and that POSTpaid is allocated its own dynamic address each time it boots up, Correct??? 

- This Tech person indicated that I COULD possibly be to Telstra Extranet APN database and have a code added to my account/modem to give it such an address but that because I was prepaid this would not happen (admin rafther than technical issue).

- This Tech person could not be sure that I would even GET a useable IP address with POSTPaid!!!

The whole proceedure of trying to communicate with Telstra (by phone) is extremely frustrating and costly; the attitude from all support straff was that I was trying to "get something for nothing"? Is there an major additional cost associated with giving me a publically accessable IP address?

Through no fault of my own I am $168.00 out of pocket and no nearer to a solution: If I subscribe to a POSTpaid Bigpond account I may end up being further out of pocket with Telstra still avoiding their responsibilities!

My next step is to approach an ombudsman and force a solution out of them.

Alan

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Update

Hi Gunduane,

BigPond Mobile Broadband, Telstra Mobile Broadband Freedom and Telstra Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband services do not have external or public IP addresses.

It is possible to get a Mobile Broadband service through Telstra Business that has the ability to have a public IP address, however this is not offered to small business customers to my knowledge. At minimum you would need a Telstra Account Executive to request this but I do not know what the specific eligibility would be to obtain one.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

gunduane

Re: Update

Thanks for your response DanK,

1. I am assuming a "Telstra Account Executive" is a Telstra person allocated to maintain a business account?

2. I am also looking at other internet providors - if they will provide a public IP address (dynamic or static) then I will pay Telstra to unlock my modem and change the SIM over.

I will keep you posted.

Alan

Ben_F

To answer your question on Account Execs, they are allocated to business spending more then $x on Telstra services.

New Users - Click Here!

gunduane

Will Telstra hire me a public IP address for my pre-paid modem?

I am appealing to anyone in Telstra that has the "power" to intervene on my behalf:

- Will Telstra assign a publically viewable IP address for my prepaid 4G account if I am willing to pay a nominal amount per month for the privilege? I know it is technically possible as it has been done for others. Either static or dynamic will do - as long as it is publically accessable and unique to my modem session.

A POST-Paid account may STILL not work and the monthly fee is too high for our Scout troop to pay: In the meantime we are falling victim to vandals and break-ins.

Yours in anticipation

Alan Liddle

Group Leader 1st Waitara Scouts

Ben_F

Alan, whilst it may be technically possible the systems and processes to do it have never been designed nor setup to support it. Public IP addresses are only provided to Mobile Customers in specific circumstances.

It used to be done before (against, from memory the business rules) however with the introduction of newer systems those rules are being enforced.

Hate to be a downer, but I don't think you will achieve your desired outcome (A public IP address on your 4G dongles).

Another option would be to set them up with internal IPs, and use LogMeIn Free to connect to a PC that is always on and connected to the Internet. I can go into more detail when I get home (on my mobile ATM).

B.

New Users - Click Here!

gunduane
Accepted Solution

Logmein - good idea!

Hi Ben,

Very good idea! I use Hamachi all the time so am familiar; will just need to locate an old computer to sit at the hall and leave on.

Many thanks for the idea!

Regards....

Alan

gunduane

Re: Logmein - good idea!

I have tested it by placing my notebook in the hall connected to the 4G wi-fi; Hamachi allows me to remote access the notebook and through this notebook I can view and control the camera.

How the hell does Hamachi allow a tunnel into my machine that is connected to this 4G mobile when it does not have a publically accessable IP address????

Anyone???

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now