Highlighted
Husky65
Level 2: Rookie

Using a different modem on postpaid 3G with my existing sim card, can you do it?

Answered

I have a 3G21WB wireless modem, it has 2 features that I require - Cat 5 networking and an ability to use an external antenna, none of the newer stuff that I've looked at on the Telstra/Bigpond websites has both of these features, so I was wondering if I could pick up a 2nd hand 3G21WB wireless modem and, if mine fails, swap the sim card and use the 2nd hand modem to keep me going until, hopefully, the NBN fixed wireless becomes available in my location.

Is this possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Using a different modem on postpaid 3G with my existing sim card, can you do it?

If you're referring to another 3G21WB, FOH can assign it to your account provided that it is currently listed in the inventory and it is not currently assigned to another email address.

If it's assigned to another account then the original account holder must request it to be stripped before it can be assigned to yours.

Possible = Yes. Process = Not really.
Lathania

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Using a different modem on postpaid 3G with my existing sim card, can you do it?

Some people have had success in using other Bigpond devices with their account, others have not. This is because on their back end Bigpond link your device to your account and if they don't match up it won't authenticate you.

http://www.telstra.com.au/business-enterprise/business-products/internet-data/devices/wireless-gatew...
You could see if they will sell you one of these if all else fails.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

I don't think there are any HSDPA modems that don't have antenna ports, most of them are well hidden if you don't have the device in your hand however (For aesthetic reasons I would assume) but you're correct about the Ethernet networking.

If Kalak has linked you to the device that I'm thinking about then it is indeed a really good option but I believe there is a limited stock so don't be surprised if they won't provide it to residential customers over the phone.
Lathania

Is there any reason why Bigpond wouldn't be prepared to link another identical modem to my account, that I had purchased elsewhere, if I was prepared show them proof of purchase and if neccessary send back the dead one?

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@Husky65 wrote:

Is there any reason why Bigpond wouldn't be prepared to link another identical modem to my account, that I had purchased elsewhere, if I was prepared show them proof of purchase and if neccessary send back the dead one?

I think the linking is done automatically and there isn't a front end process for linking hardware on an Ad-Hoc basis Smiley Sad 

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Accepted Solution

If you're referring to another 3G21WB, FOH can assign it to your account provided that it is currently listed in the inventory and it is not currently assigned to another email address.

If it's assigned to another account then the original account holder must request it to be stripped before it can be assigned to yours.

Possible = Yes. Process = Not really.
Lathania

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more