Highlighted
Boggles
Level 15: Special Agent

What is the difference between Telstra Mobile Broadband & Bigpond Mobile Broadband?

Answered

What is the difference between Telstra Mobile Broadband & Bigpond Mobile Broadband?

Windows Phone Enthusiast, Nokia Lumia 920, 1020 & 520, Microsoft Surface. Windows 8.1. Employed in Telecommunications industry.

I DO NOT work for Telstra, all views and opinions are my own and I do not represent any company whilst in this forum. Follow any advice I give at your own risk as I hold no liability if my advice is wrong.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: What is the difference between Telstra Mobile Broadband & Bigpond Mobile Broadband?

• (Post-paid) Telstra Mobile Broadband plan pricing are cheaper than BigPond Mobile Broadband plan pricing at the corresponding levels of included monthly usage allowance.
  • Excess charges apply to Telstra Mobile Broadband services, with no slowing of the connection. BigPond Mobile Broadband services get slowed to 64kbps, once included monthly usage allowances have been exhausted, but no excess charges apply.
  • BigPond Mobile Broadband SIMs will only work with BigPond devices to deliver connectivity, but I think (without being certain myself) Telstra Mobile Broadband SIMs can be used in any device – including non-Telstra/non-BigPond devices – that are technically compatible with Telstra's networks.

In short, TMB requires a lower level of committed spend, offers a greater level of flexibility with regard to choice of mobile broadband device, and carries some risk of financial exposure for the customer arising from excess usage charges.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: What is the difference between Telstra Mobile Broadband & Bigpond Mobile Broadband?

Additionally, as the Telstra Mobile devices use the same Telstra APN as mobiles they get a higher priority on the network in times of congestion.
Lathania

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

From my understanding the main difference is with Telstra Mobile Broadband, once you hit the usage limit, you start getting charged for data. With Bigpond mobile broadband, once you hit the usage it just gets slowed down
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I am sure there would be more but that is probably the main reason for choosing between the two different devices
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

• (Post-paid) Telstra Mobile Broadband plan pricing are cheaper than BigPond Mobile Broadband plan pricing at the corresponding levels of included monthly usage allowance.
  • Excess charges apply to Telstra Mobile Broadband services, with no slowing of the connection. BigPond Mobile Broadband services get slowed to 64kbps, once included monthly usage allowances have been exhausted, but no excess charges apply.
  • BigPond Mobile Broadband SIMs will only work with BigPond devices to deliver connectivity, but I think (without being certain myself) Telstra Mobile Broadband SIMs can be used in any device – including non-Telstra/non-BigPond devices – that are technically compatible with Telstra's networks.

In short, TMB requires a lower level of committed spend, offers a greater level of flexibility with regard to choice of mobile broadband device, and carries some risk of financial exposure for the customer arising from excess usage charges.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
billythekid
Level 8: Inspector

A couple of yrs ago i had a telstra usb and i was able to send and receive sms messages.

Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Additionally, as the Telstra Mobile devices use the same Telstra APN as mobiles they get a higher priority on the network in times of congestion.
Lathania

Thanks for your help guys. Smiley Happy

Windows Phone Enthusiast, Nokia Lumia 920, 1020 & 520, Microsoft Surface. Windows 8.1. Employed in Telecommunications industry.

I DO NOT work for Telstra, all views and opinions are my own and I do not represent any company whilst in this forum. Follow any advice I give at your own risk as I hold no liability if my advice is wrong.
smadge1
Level 10: Junior Detective

Telstra Mobile Broadband authenticates via the USIM card, whereas Bigpond Mobile Broadband authenticates via your username and password.

Level 23: Superhero

I also believe there is a monthly MRO cost for devices on the Telstra plans. This makes the devices themselves more expensive than they are with a Bigpond service. It's not a lot with a small MRO bonus, but it's there none-the-less.

Personally I prefer (and have signed up for) a Bigpond service because I prefer the idea of not having excess usage charges. In a way that extra $5 is my cost of 'insurance' against this.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
themessenger
Level 2: Rookie

also dont forget that on bigpond you get a proper public ip.

also dont forget that on bigpond you get a proper public ip.

adamjameslaw
Level 1: Cadet

Re: also dont forget that on bigpond you get a proper public ip.

You cannot port forward with Telstra Mobile ... this is terrible if you want any form of ftp or remote access

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/4G-Broadband/Port-forwarding-in-3G-4G/td-p/65420

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more