CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Evowned
Level 8: Inspector

What's with the Data Limits, Telstra?

Answered

EDIT: Retrospectively, this may not necessarily be the right section for this. Any mods can feel free to move this to the right area if need be.

I just wish to raise a question and I hope some of the powers-that-be can shed some light.

Telstra has this amazing new 4G network. The NextG network is still one of the biggest/fastest in Australia.

So why are the data limits so horrid? I understand that Mobile Data is expensive and what-not, but the price doesn't seem justified to the current extent.

I mean, the 4G network was released as a new network to alleviate stress on the NextG network and provide the first LTE network in Australia for awesome speeds. So what does Telstra do: DECREASE data limits. Not even hold still. DECREASE.

The new Everyday Connect plans have less data. The new Pre-Paid Cap offer has less data. Data Packs are more expensive.

What's up with this? Companies in the states can offer UNLIMITED wireless plans at a great price. I am by no means saying Telstra should offer unlimited plans, but the current rates seem way off.

This has been irking me since the 4G Network released; and more-so when the Everyday Connect plans launched.

Can anyone please shed light on why this is?

- eVowned

Currently running a stock HTC One XL, and a Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean.

Don't forget: a little Kudos goes a long way; and mark any replies as solved if they helped.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: What's with the Data Limits, Telstra?

I've just gotten back from a month long stint in the USA and all i'm going to say is that we got it pretty good here in australia now, regardless of carrier. It wasnt always like that, the USA used to always have the better price points than back here, but after this latest trip over I would say we are on par, if not better in pricing and allowances than what many of the major carriers are over there. 

The USA carriers, just like us, have launched their 4G networks since i was last there 2 years ago and the change that has caused in the USA data rates was phenomenal! T-Mobiles who i usually use when i go over there, their prepaid wireless plans were like US$30 for like 400mb on 4G speeds, and their unlimited prepaid plan only gave you 100mb at 4G speeds before they capped you back to 2G (Yes 2G, not even 3G!) speeds, which was basically dailup and the most painful thing i've had to experience mobile wise in a long long time! not to mention call quality and coverage was pityfull compared to what im used to back here. AND they think geting 12Mbs on 4G is really really fast, should have seen their faces when i told them my One XL was hitting 45Mbs in Australia!!

Having got that little perspective from over that side of the world where the market is a hundred times larger than it is here and thats all they were getting from their carriers, makes me feel pretty happy the way things are going over here Smiley Happy

Josh | Tech Expert |
Need additional help? Book a Telstra Tech Bar appointment.

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 23: Superhero

Almost all inclusions on plans are based on the average usage patterns. So they can offer xMB per month, knowing that on average only yMB will actually get used.

As smart-devices become the norm, and people become more comfortable using the features and apps that use internet access, the average data usage on plans gets higher. This 'breaks' the maths behind the usage allowances.

Also, NextG is under strain (congestion wise) in some areas now, and they are opening it up to wholesale as well which will only stress it further. The only way to lower usage in the current climate, is to make it more expensive.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

EDIT: Also, Telstra claim that their customers told them they wanted higher $ call/text allowances and less data (because they don't use it as much).

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Level 22: Superhuman

Evowned wrote:
So why are the data limits so horrid?

Horrid? They're just numbers, and you're the one who is attributing personal sentiment to them, in a manner that is in your sole control.

I understand that Mobile Data is expensive and what-not, but the price doesn't seem justified to the current extent.

I mean, the 4G network was released as a new network to alleviate stress on the NextG network and provide the first LTE network in Australia for awesome speeds. So what does Telstra do: DECREASE data limits. Not even hold still. DECREASE.

  

Can anyone please shed light on why this is?

I'm confident you're familiar with the idea that in a free market, demand and supply are the primary determining factors of the price of a good. Costs (to the supplier) of provision determine the price levels below which supply will not go, if suppliers want to stay profitable, but it takes competition (i.e. faster-growing aggregate supply in the market than the increases in demand) to actually drive prices down.

As things are, demand is growing much faster than supply in the local market, I'm sure you agree.

If you don't think the price is ‘justified to the current extent’, from your personal perspective and/or value set, then you're free to exercise your prerogative as a consumer to refrain from buying. Help decrease the overall demand – or at least slow down its growth – so that other consumers may actually benefit if it ends up driving prices downward.

Companies in the states can offer UNLIMITED wireless plans at a great price. I am by no means saying Telstra should offer unlimited plans, but the current rates seem way off.

How is that relevant? Suppliers in the local market are not competing with US mobile service providers for your business, or have any reason to adopt bang-for-your-buck measures from any other market as a benchmark to which to aspire. (Local consumers may ‘aspire to’ it – or just wish to benefit from it personally – but so what?)

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

I've just gotten back from a month long stint in the USA and all i'm going to say is that we got it pretty good here in australia now, regardless of carrier. It wasnt always like that, the USA used to always have the better price points than back here, but after this latest trip over I would say we are on par, if not better in pricing and allowances than what many of the major carriers are over there. 

The USA carriers, just like us, have launched their 4G networks since i was last there 2 years ago and the change that has caused in the USA data rates was phenomenal! T-Mobiles who i usually use when i go over there, their prepaid wireless plans were like US$30 for like 400mb on 4G speeds, and their unlimited prepaid plan only gave you 100mb at 4G speeds before they capped you back to 2G (Yes 2G, not even 3G!) speeds, which was basically dailup and the most painful thing i've had to experience mobile wise in a long long time! not to mention call quality and coverage was pityfull compared to what im used to back here. AND they think geting 12Mbs on 4G is really really fast, should have seen their faces when i told them my One XL was hitting 45Mbs in Australia!!

Having got that little perspective from over that side of the world where the market is a hundred times larger than it is here and thats all they were getting from their carriers, makes me feel pretty happy the way things are going over here Smiley Happy

Josh | Tech Expert |
Need additional help? Book a Telstra Tech Bar appointment.

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra

View solution in original post

Evowned
Level 8: Inspector

Thanks for the input guys. I understand the supply-demand standpoint, but I still feel they're a little too low. Or at the very least, I would think the recent decrease (specifically with Everyday Connect) is not justified.

But I guess that's just my opinion and I'm just cranky because it doesn't meet my needs. Besides, it's not like my rants will change anything. Lol.

@JCKH wrote:

I have heard that the American providers are rapidly decreasing limits and increasing costs, which I still think is unjustified, but to a much lesser extent, as I don't believe any providers should allow "unlimited" use in the first place.

Also, side-note-rant-thing:

I'm sure you're also aware that in the US, 4G is not actually 4G. Whilst some networks do have the proper "LTE" 4G, like Telstra's network. A lot of them are allowed to market "4G" for what is really just HSPA+, which is NextG here. Hence the whole problem with the iPad 3. Just a fun fact of how messed up some of their providers are (or, at least, the agencies that allow such false advertising). Smiley Very Happy

- eVowned

Currently running a stock HTC One XL, and a Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean.

Don't forget: a little Kudos goes a long way; and mark any replies as solved if they helped.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit