millsy5
Level 1: Cadet

When is 5G coming?

Excuse me Telstra, but when are you going to update us on when 5G will be available. All you have provided is news articles boasting about how good it will be and old mate going to conferences and showing off in the states about Telstra bla bla.

Optus, in my opinion, are leaps and bounds ahead of Telstra in the 5G rollout. Another 50 suburbs announced today. Any search of Telstra availability revelas no indication whatsoever of when we might get 5G. Being the 'best' network in Australia i would think giving us some information on initial rollout would be easy. I repeat, another 50 Optus suburbs announced today!

If Optus select my suburb for rollout i will jump ship from telstra to optus in a heart beat, even if Optus have let me down in the past at least they are making 5G happen.

Cheers

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: When is 5G coming?

I'm not Telstra. I saw the Optus P.R. release to attract early adopters. The early 5G will in all practicality operate like 4.5G until mmWave frequency technology is released in the future, when the mmWave frequency band is available in Australia and hardware follows.
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

mmWave technology is highly overrated. Can't penetrate buildings or trains.

Sub6 5G will be limited enough due to the distances involved in this country.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 21: Augmented

I just wonder why people are so obsessed with 5G (or any new technology in general) without knowing its limitations...
I am actually happy that Telstra is not rushing our sub-par technology and is waiting for everything being in place... Also the worldwide controversy between governments and major 5G player would make me feel uneasy jumping on the bandwagon...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Highlighted

I'd be happy if Telstra would maintain and repair the 3G/4G towers they already have now.

A tower that's 200 metres from our house hasn't been working for 11 Month's caused by a fire.Smiley Sad

Now we're getting our signal from a tower that's 1.6km away. 

We used to have full 4G signal in the house ( that's 1 reason we bought this house) and are now only get 1 bar...if lucky 2 bars of signal.

Ridiculous, when we don't have fixed internet and use mobile broadband Smiley Mad

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now