CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
DiatThePalms
Level 1: Cadet

WiFi 4GX Advanced III and Aircard Charging Cradle

Answered

I just bought a Telstra WiFi 4GX Advanced III modem and NetGear Aircard Ethernet & Antenna Charging Cradle for Aircard 782S at my local Telstra shop. This is replacing an old Bigpond 7.2 Home Network Gateway. The guy at the store told us that if we will have the Aircard permanently in the charging cradle (which we will) then to remove the battery from the Aircard.

Did this, got a severe alert on the unit (about running without a battery) however I persevered. Found that the unit was dropping out every 30 seconds or so. After checking other posts here I checked if it only dropped out when it got a 4G signal (no). I then took the unit out of the cradle and used it for 30 minutes on its own - no dropouts.

So I put it back on the cradle with the battery still in - and so  far after 30 minutes no drop outs. The issue seems to be when it's in the cradle with no battery.

My question is - can I leave the battery in even though it will be almost permanently in the cradle, or do I need to remove it. In which case - how do I fix the drop out issue?

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: WiFi 4GX Advanced III and Aircard Charging Cradle

Hello

I can tell you first hand !

I have exactly the same devices.

I asked the same questions to my best friend who is an Enterprise Dealer, and he has sold innumerable units.

Firstly, treasure the battery as you cannot buy genuine spares, and the after market ones are not the same specification.

If you leave it permanently on charge, the battery will be the first component in the system to fail, and that means buying a completely new modem.

If you use it on battery, let it run on battery OUT of the cradle,  as the cradle requires electricity. The cradle will charge it, and those batteries are the weakest link.

When I first got mine a few weeks ago I questioned him about the alerts and he assured me to ignore them.

Also be aware that the cradles are very temperamental, and he has replaced several, and is in fact replacing mine next week.

You can run just the modem on the charger without a battery, thouh every now and then run it down a couple of times with complete charges to keep it conditioned.

Always, always, turn the unit off at the rear switch on the cradle NEVER the power point first, otherwise you will need to reset the cradle several times.

Be aware that you will see on your devices both the wifi for both devices, if you have used the modem initially on its own.

So, to your question re drop outs. I have never had one, BUT in the cradle, every few days, the cradle's wifi will show it connected, but no internet connection. I only have 2 bars of signal but it has a better receiver than a Samsung Note 3 and Note 4 Edge, both of which drop calls where I now live.

Re drop outs, try locating the unit near a window, or walk around your room and see where you have the strongest signal, ie more signal bars.

On 4gX where I lived until 10 days ago, I was approaching 70 or 80 mb/s  but here I average about 17 to 25, the lowest ever 13,  the highest 35mb/s depending on mobile traffic on the specific sector of the cell IU operate on.

So, the take home message is totally ignore the battery message, either in the cradle or the modem by itself...be prepared to possibly have to reset the modem every few days in the cradle,  but not when being used as a modem only.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: WiFi 4GX Advanced III and Aircard Charging Cradle

Hello

I can tell you first hand !

I have exactly the same devices.

I asked the same questions to my best friend who is an Enterprise Dealer, and he has sold innumerable units.

Firstly, treasure the battery as you cannot buy genuine spares, and the after market ones are not the same specification.

If you leave it permanently on charge, the battery will be the first component in the system to fail, and that means buying a completely new modem.

If you use it on battery, let it run on battery OUT of the cradle,  as the cradle requires electricity. The cradle will charge it, and those batteries are the weakest link.

When I first got mine a few weeks ago I questioned him about the alerts and he assured me to ignore them.

Also be aware that the cradles are very temperamental, and he has replaced several, and is in fact replacing mine next week.

You can run just the modem on the charger without a battery, thouh every now and then run it down a couple of times with complete charges to keep it conditioned.

Always, always, turn the unit off at the rear switch on the cradle NEVER the power point first, otherwise you will need to reset the cradle several times.

Be aware that you will see on your devices both the wifi for both devices, if you have used the modem initially on its own.

So, to your question re drop outs. I have never had one, BUT in the cradle, every few days, the cradle's wifi will show it connected, but no internet connection. I only have 2 bars of signal but it has a better receiver than a Samsung Note 3 and Note 4 Edge, both of which drop calls where I now live.

Re drop outs, try locating the unit near a window, or walk around your room and see where you have the strongest signal, ie more signal bars.

On 4gX where I lived until 10 days ago, I was approaching 70 or 80 mb/s  but here I average about 17 to 25, the lowest ever 13,  the highest 35mb/s depending on mobile traffic on the specific sector of the cell IU operate on.

So, the take home message is totally ignore the battery message, either in the cradle or the modem by itself...be prepared to possibly have to reset the modem every few days in the cradle,  but not when being used as a modem only.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now