riverbend236
Level 2: Rookie

Will antenna solve AirCard 782S problems?

Answered

We have the BigPond 4G Wi-Fi Advanced Modem (AirCard 782S) as our home internet (no ADSL available) and are experiencing lots of slow time.  At least 30% of the time the internet is very slow (less than 0.5 Mbps) or even non-existent (even though it says it is connected to a tower).  We also have an older Telstra "pocket wi-fi" modem - when we have serious problems we have turned both of them on and have the same problems with both.

We have complained to Telstra, thinking that there is probably a problem with the tower.  They have come back to us twice now saying that we need an antenna to fix the problem.  We live in a remote area but get three to five bars of reception on the modem.  The modem network status screen displays a quality range from 16 to 31 while we are having problems.  

Can someone tell me if it is possible that an antenna will fix the problem?  The readings on the modem would indicate to me that reception is not the problem but I am no expert.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
riverbend236
Accepted Solution

Re: Will antenna solve AirCard 782S problems?

The problem was intermittent, so hardward was ruled out.  We eventually bought an external antenna and it is working much better.  So despite it not looking like a reception problem we believe that it was.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Jeffson
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Hi, 

First, you need check whether the settings are well done, i mean, check the network mode, APN settings to make sure your Netgear Aircard 782s choose the right  network, ie LTE network.

Secondly, if you make sure all the networks are correct and speed is still slow. You'd better to take to the location near the tower whether the speed become faster. If so, it proves to be the signal problem. You can buy the external to solve the problem. 

However, if the speed is still slow at the location near the tower, it may be the aircard 782s problem, not the signal problem. You need update the firmware of change a new 782s. 

I got a Netgear aircard 782s last month from here http://www.4gltemall.com/4g-antenna-two-ts-9-connector.html . This is used for my home. But it seems the improvement is not that obvious. 

Hope my suggestions help you. Smiley Happy

Just share my life, my knowledge..
riverbend236
Accepted Solution

The problem was intermittent, so hardward was ruled out.  We eventually bought an external antenna and it is working much better.  So despite it not looking like a reception problem we believe that it was.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now