Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

Windows 8, 4G prepaid device wierdness, failure ONLY when Wifi only

Answered

OK, this is a wierd one.

I have a senior, who I'm helping out.

He has one of these:

http://www.telstra.com.au/internet/mobile-broadband/prepaid/devices-and-starter-kits/#tab-4g-wifi

A Windows 8 Toshiba laptop (upgraded from Windows 7, and Windows 8 certified.

Here's what's happening.

If we connect the laptop to the device via WiFi ONLY,  the connection is made, but as soon as we go to browse or do anything on the Internet,  it fails, and the WiFi icon shows "limited connection".

SO here's a couple of screendumps of the environment:

usb connected.png

Here's the error message  from the event logs:when WiFi only connected:

Wifi -no usb cable dns failure event.png

So.  if we connect the Laptop via the USB, none of this happens. It works fine.

If we connect the latptop to a different device (I used my Sony Xperia Z as a wifi hotspot (BRILLIANT), and browsing the web  from the Windows 8 laptop is fine.

So I suspect the device.....or Windows 8!!

I don't have a separate Windows 8 laptop to test this out with, but ALL of the other devices we tried, (windows 7, the aforementioned Xperia Z smartphone, tablets etc, work fine with just WiFi.

Now, an Epson WiFi enabled printer connects to it, but every so often the Laptop cannot see the printer, and CANNOT print to the printer, (and here it gets really, really wierd), unless the modem is connected to the Windows 8 Laptop via USB, AND, yes AND the Wifi on the laptop is ALSO on.

Yes, if we turn OFF the WiFi, and merely have the modem connected via USB, where it can STILL browse the net, if we try to print to the WiFi connected printer..... it will not print.......  (it goes to the spooler, and sits there UNTIL we enable Wifi on the laptop.

Now , my thoughts are on the IPv6 implementation, (because of the above event log).

But I'm scratching my head over this one.

Smiley Frustrated

ALL device drivers on the Laptop are completely up to date, and all Windows 8 Updates are enabled.  The firewall settings are ok, and there are NO dodgy apps installed. the only anti-virus is the one that is integrated into Windows 8.

There is no update available for the Telstra device, nor the printer.

Any ideas?

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution

Re: Windows 8, 4G prepaid device weirdness, failure ONLY when Wifi only

G'day Matt, thanks for the response.

The weirdness continued, but I have a solution, but also a complaint.

Testing out another Windows 8 laptop, and it worked fine, so we looked more closely. 

Testing on another device with the Toshiba laptop worked fine.  So that was weird.

It turns out the laptop combination (Windows 8  64 BIT UPGRADED on a Toshiba laptop, at least this one) cannot support AES.

We went into the property sheet of the WiFi connection, and it  has no option to include AES.  So it uses TKIP.

The Telstra WiFi modem was configured for AES.

OK, so here's the weirdness.  If we used the WPS, you would assume the laptop would report that "the settings on the WiFi Access Point do not match the settings for this laptop", as you normally get.

However, the Laptop stayed connected to the WiFi device UNTIL we try to connect to the Internet to do email or browse.

In other words, we could keep the laptop connected to the WiFi modem for (probably) hours, and only then get the error message, AND the event entry that points to a DNS error.

So, the solution was to go onto the WiFi modem, and configure the wireless security as AES, which matches the current limitation on the laptop.

Works perfectly.

The issue is exposed in the combination of Windows 8 and the Toshiba, so I've escalated the issue to both organisations as that seems to be the issue.

Now, as to the reaction of the staff in the local franchise......  Their answer when this guy had a Turbo WiFi from Telstra was to send the laptop to Melbourne for a factory reset (Which you can do simply locally), that was a mistake, because it came back worse than when it went down -  it came back 32 bit when it went down 64 bit with 6 GB memory).

This time, they actually said the same thing.  IE, Send it to Melbourne, put Windows 7 back on it, and "it would all work".

Probably true (that it would work with Windows 7), but they would not escalate it via Telstra.

My guess is you guys would have eventually figured out by changing the encryption, and seen it work.

The lack of support by the local franchise was simply appalling. They also told him he could not transfer his $16.00 from his Turbo pre-paid to the new device.

Is this true? 

They only seemed interested in selling the new device, and weren't interested when he had issues.

Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES
CedricM
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Windows 8, 4G prepaid device wierdness, failure ONLY when Wifi only

check that the computer is authenticated. A lot of win8 users miss this.

move mouse to the corner on the right, click settings, at the down the bottom click change pc settings, go to users, under my account look for any pending actions requiring email authentication.

Once authenticated using win8 will be a breeze

Hope this helps

Thanks for the suggestion, but I authenticated his laptop  months ago Smiley LOL

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Wanglese,

What a strange issue you have there. It really needs to be tested on another Windows 8 PC to eliminate where the fault is, but as you've mentioned you don't have one available. You might be able to have it tested further within a Telstra store on another Wi-Fi device to ensure it isn't the device causing the issue. 

Such an odd issue, it almost sounds like the Wi-Fi part of the device is having issues so perhaps a testing it with another device in a Telstra store is the best way to go from here. 

-Matt W

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Accepted Solution

Re: Windows 8, 4G prepaid device weirdness, failure ONLY when Wifi only

G'day Matt, thanks for the response.

The weirdness continued, but I have a solution, but also a complaint.

Testing out another Windows 8 laptop, and it worked fine, so we looked more closely. 

Testing on another device with the Toshiba laptop worked fine.  So that was weird.

It turns out the laptop combination (Windows 8  64 BIT UPGRADED on a Toshiba laptop, at least this one) cannot support AES.

We went into the property sheet of the WiFi connection, and it  has no option to include AES.  So it uses TKIP.

The Telstra WiFi modem was configured for AES.

OK, so here's the weirdness.  If we used the WPS, you would assume the laptop would report that "the settings on the WiFi Access Point do not match the settings for this laptop", as you normally get.

However, the Laptop stayed connected to the WiFi device UNTIL we try to connect to the Internet to do email or browse.

In other words, we could keep the laptop connected to the WiFi modem for (probably) hours, and only then get the error message, AND the event entry that points to a DNS error.

So, the solution was to go onto the WiFi modem, and configure the wireless security as AES, which matches the current limitation on the laptop.

Works perfectly.

The issue is exposed in the combination of Windows 8 and the Toshiba, so I've escalated the issue to both organisations as that seems to be the issue.

Now, as to the reaction of the staff in the local franchise......  Their answer when this guy had a Turbo WiFi from Telstra was to send the laptop to Melbourne for a factory reset (Which you can do simply locally), that was a mistake, because it came back worse than when it went down -  it came back 32 bit when it went down 64 bit with 6 GB memory).

This time, they actually said the same thing.  IE, Send it to Melbourne, put Windows 7 back on it, and "it would all work".

Probably true (that it would work with Windows 7), but they would not escalate it via Telstra.

My guess is you guys would have eventually figured out by changing the encryption, and seen it work.

The lack of support by the local franchise was simply appalling. They also told him he could not transfer his $16.00 from his Turbo pre-paid to the new device.

Is this true? 

They only seemed interested in selling the new device, and weren't interested when he had issues.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more