CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Yeltrah
Level 1: Cadet

Yagi Antenna

Hi Guys will a yagi antenna improve my download speeds ? I live in a rural area and although we are currently getting a high signal strength through or wireless modem via a high gain antenna on our roof our download speed is 0.98.
Any help appreciated

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
grahamnewnomad
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Yagi Antenna

Hi , I dont think a different antenna is going to help if your signal strength is already good, you will find it may be the switcing times between repeater towers but cant help with that as it is not my field.

Yeltrah

Thank you but what do you mean by switching times ?
Level 23: Superhero

Totally agree with the new nomad!

Hi there, could I ask the type of antenna you have on the roof currently as in omnidirectional (looks like a stick)?

If that's the case, you potentially could go a yagi and point it to your closest tower, it'll then hopefully limit the switching between towers (which reduces throughput). Please just keep in mind it may be a fruitless adventure! Depending on distance and the capacity of that particular tower, it may be already at its limits.

Still if you can afford the setup it'll certainly be a good learning curve.

Cheers,
Dave

Yeltrah

Hi Dave thank you for your reply. Yes I currently have a omnidirectional antenna. We live half way between Busselton & Margaret River aprox 20 km either way not exactly what I call remote !!! We have to survive with 2 kids on 15g download a month (all that I can afford) added to that 0.98 download speed it is frustrating. Thanks again for your advice I geuss I will just have to take a punt on the Yagi & see how it goes
Level 23: Superhero

I forgot to add.... please keep us (well more me) updated on the outcome.

Don't know if this site will help. http://maps.spench.net/rf/

Cheers,
Dave

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now